The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Renting a truck to pull a horse trailer- help!

Has anyone ever rented a truck to pull their horse trailer or know of any dealerships that offer this in BC? We are in need of a truck that can pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer from here in BC to Alberta (about an 8 hour trip), and also seat 5 people.

I don't know about Canada, but the zoo I work for rents a trucks from Enterprise whenever they have to make a long trip with their 4 horse stock trailer. You do have to be sure that you are getting a truck with all the proper equipment. The last time I was scheduled to drive an animal up to Richmond, we went to hook up the truck, only to find it did not have the correct plug on it, so we had to call them and go back an exchange it AFTER I had just put $80 of gas in it and we were short on time, as it was.

I was in Enterprise a few days ago getting a rental car (that would be after someone hit me and totalled MY truck and trailer) and heard them tell a guy that came in asking about a hitch that they do not rent trucks with hitches at all. Not sure if that was specific to that rental location or to Indiana as a state but you might want to call ahead/around to be sure.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Quote Originally Posted by RumoursFollow View Post
    I was in Enterprise a few days ago getting a rental car (that would be after someone hit me and totalled MY truck and trailer)
    did you have horses in your trailer? are you okay?

I do think the Enterprise that we use has a Commercial rental side and that is where we do the renting. I do not believe you can usually just rent a vehicle and pull with it. I know the rental rules were a bit different, too, like, we got the truck on empty, thus putting the gas in BEFORE determining the truck wouldn't work for us.

Be very careful that the electric hookups are compatible. Even if the plugs match up correctly, double check that everything works, lights, brakes, etc. because sometimes vehicles/trailers are wired differently.

Your best bet might be to call a commercial hauler. I don't know about Canadian U-Haul, but the US version does rent a small truck. I'm not guessing it will be of enough substance to pull the trailer you describe, and it definitely won't seat that many. Have you thought about buying a used truck and then trying to resell it when you are done?

I just recently had a friend whose truck broke down the day before she was to haul to a horse show. She lives in Calgary and she spent several hours calling every single vehicle and equipment rental place she could possibly find in the phone book/on the internet trying to find a truck to rent that was set up to haul. And she didn't find ANYTHING. And all she had was a 2 horse bumper pull. So unless you happen to find a private business that has a truck for rent, I'd say your chances of finding a place that rents them out are pretty slim
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

After reading this thread, I just called U-Haul, and they told me they rent trucks with hitches for hauling all the time. I'm glad to know this because I have a terrific trailer and an iffy truck.

You could try this too:
    https://www.hertzequip.com/

Thanks everyone! We ended up finding a terrific deal with a commercial hauler so the truck is no longer in need

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    After reading this thread, I just called U-Haul, and they told me they rent trucks with hitches for hauling all the time. I'm glad to know this because I have a terrific trailer and an iffy truck.
    My truck's transmission was iffy so I called U-haul, they will yes, until you tell them what you want to pull...nope. The only turcks with hitches are the box trucks...hitches are for towing you car on a dolly behind.

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    did you have horses in your trailer? are you okay?
    Myself and the one horse (thankfully) that was on my trailer are both fine. Someone who'd done too much partying the night before (still wearing last nights outfit) crossed the center line on a two lane road coming over a hill and hit me almost head on (I moved toward the shoulder when I saw her coming but only had a second or two to react) causing me to jackknife my trailer. Luckily I hit a light post with my trailer.. It kept the rig from flipping. Horse jumped right off the trailer and mowed someones grass until my barn owner came to pick him up.. He only wondered why we unloaded him in the middle of the road I believe. I was very, very lucky. Thanks for asking!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mo's Mom View Post
    My truck's transmission was iffy so I called U-haul, they will yes, until you tell them what you want to pull...nope. The only turcks with hitches are the box trucks...hitches are for towing you car on a dolly behind.
    I told them it was for a horse trailer. I told them the empty weight of the trailer, and the weight with a horse in it. ??? I'm not saying you're wrong. Perhaps the person I spoke to was in error. But I was very clear that it was a horse trailer. ???

I told them it was for a horse trailer. I told them the empty weight of the trailer, and the weight with a horse in it. ??? I'm not saying you're wrong. Perhaps the person I spoke to was in error. But I was very clear that it was a horse trailer. ???

If you go to U-haul.com, it shows you what they will rent and how.

Here is the pickup trucks, and yes this is all they have. Not big enough to pull a horse trailer.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=BP

If you look at the "towing" section, about half way down the page...called towing capacity, they show a small box truck pulling a car on a trailer. Nowhere on the site does it show any vehicles capable of pulling a horse trailer. If you find one, I would love to see it, you never know when you might need it.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

Quote Originally Posted by Mo's Mom View Post
    If you go to U-haul.com, it shows you what they will rent and how.

Here is the pickup trucks, and yes this is all they have. Not big enough to pull a horse trailer.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=BP
    Thanks for the link. Actually, that *would* pull my trailer quite nicely! I have a Brenderup one-horse, weighs 1700 lbs empty + a 1000 lb horse. The towing capacity on the U-haul truck you linked was 5500 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RumoursFollow View Post
    Myself and the one horse (thankfully) that was on my trailer are both fine. Someone who'd done too much partying the night before (still wearing last nights outfit) crossed the center line on a two lane road coming over a hill and hit me almost head on (I moved toward the shoulder when I saw her coming but only had a second or two to react) causing me to jackknife my trailer. Luckily I hit a light post with my trailer.. It kept the rig from flipping. Horse jumped right off the trailer and mowed someones grass until my barn owner came to pick him up.. He only wondered why we unloaded him in the middle of the road I believe. I was very, very lucky. Thanks for asking!
    thank god! i was wondering what happened to you and the horse. i trailer my horse alot and would never want to be in an accident with him. glad you guys were okay!

Thanks for the link. Actually, that *would* pull my trailer quite nicely! I have a Brenderup one-horse, weighs 1700 lbs empty + a 1000 lb horse. The towing capacity on the U-haul truck you linked was 5500 lbs.
    cool trailer, good setup.