The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leather dye- oak bark to havana?

Hi all,

I have a saddle that I purchased at a tack swap SUPER cheap ($50) I had just purchased my mare who I spent too much money on and needed a quick solution. Since we weren't planning to show this year, I just wanted something to hack around with at home. Turns out it fits us perfectly and is crazy comfortable.

Well, I still don't plan to show in this saddle, but I might be moving her from our family farm to a nice show barn on the other side of the country. I don't want the hunter princesses to tease me for my gawd awful bright orange tack on my lovely dapple bay mare, so I'd like to dye the saddle.

First of all, is it possible to go from a bit more orange than an oak bark to a medium-dark brown? I've heard of using fiebings professional oil in show brown (or other shades) working well, and it's cheap so I'd love to give it a try, but has anyone used it?

Keep in mind, this saddle is super cheap so if it comes out looking even worse, I don't really care. I do have another saddle that I can hack in in the meantime while I buy another one.

Here's a photo. Don't laugh at its nastiness (or laugh if you feel like it) http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...15220121_n.jpg

What do you think? Suggestions? Comments? I'm "All Ears" (pun intended)
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

Take it to a tack store! Oil it once with something you know will darken it, and if it still isn't dark enough, get a professional opinion.

I have used shoe dye on bridles before, and it worked pretty well. I would start with a not too dark brown and work my way darker so it does not get streaky. Avoid any "warm" browns with red or yellow tones.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I do not think you will be able to dye that saddle. It looks like it has more of a “painted on” finish, and not drum dyed leather. You would have to first use a color stripper to strip the finish off, then re-dye the leather. The materials (leather stripper, dye) will cost more than $50 you spent on the saddle.

Sorry to be Debbie downer, but I would save my money for a better quality used saddle in the future.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

I dye all my leather with Fiebings leather dye. I got a nice brown passier old saddle, and dyed in black. Everyone was amazed at how well it came out. Dyed my bridle black, too, worked a treat.

If I were you, I would get the darker brown Fiebings and dye the saddle. Might need two bottles, if you need to do the underside also. I always used to dye my new orangish leather darker when I was a kid, so I figured I could do it now, if I wanted. No reason not to!
    "If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."
    ~Dean Podestá Original quote

Sweet! Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to use a deglazer on it beforehand, which fiebings sells pretty cheap. That should strip it well enough. Frankly, if the whole process costs me $50, I still wound up with a super comfortable-like-a-couch saddle that fits my horse like a glove for $100. I'm pretty happy with that.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

Anyone know where to get fiebings dye? Smartpak doesn't have it! I don't know what to do with myself haha.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I just googled it and found their website. You can order it there. It's available on ebay as well I think.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

I want you to dye it and post the results, but mainly for my own selfish curiosity.

If you decide to I'd suggest testing the dye on the underside of a flap or someplace not visible first.

Quote Originally Posted by AllEars View Post
    Sweet! Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to use a deglazer on it beforehand, which fiebings sells pretty cheap. That should strip it well enough. Frankly, if the whole process costs me $50, I still wound up with a super comfortable-like-a-couch saddle that fits my horse like a glove for $100. I'm pretty happy with that.
    You can get the deglazer pretty cheap at Target or Walmart, etc. It's just acetone. No sense paying shipping on a bottle of nail polish remover.

Have you already tried oiling it without success? I have never dyed any leather products, does the color run if it gets damp or sweaty?

Quote Originally Posted by lachevaline View Post
    I want you to dye it and post the results, but mainly for my own selfish curiosity.
    Haha! Don't worry. I wouldn't dream of doing something so crazy and not posting the results for the COTH world to see!

There will be pictures, I promise!
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

Check out this thread.

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351083

Pictures at post #15
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Does the Blue Ribbon oil work well for dyeing leather that it is more red/cherry brown to a darker brown, as in chocolate?

I checked out the other thread, but I didn't see that anyone had dyed something that was more of a reddish color originally...

Sorry to get off-topic, but inquiring minds need to know

Worth a shot, I'm a believer!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

That saddle looks to be more of a Newmarket color rather than oak bark.

I agree with the poster who said it doesn't look as though oil or dye will help until the saddle has been stripped. After that a good oil should darken it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    Does the Blue Ribbon oil work well for dyeing leather that it is more red/cherry brown to a darker brown, as in chocolate?I
    Blue Ribbon is great at darkening leather but its an oil, not a dye. At any rate, I have used it on Edgewood strap goods, which are orange when new, and they end up a beautiful, rich, dark brown.

Blue Ribbon oil, I google it and I see Blue Ribbon Neatsfoot Oil. I have neatsfoot oil. Is it the same thing? The brand I have is fiebings.

I haven't stripped it yet, but I did put one coat of neatsfoot on it just to start to supple it up a bit since it's been sitting in my tack room for a bit without use. We did get a wee bit darker after that of course.

We'll see! Maybe after a few good oils we'll get to a less ridiculous color. If not, there's always the dye!
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

I do hope you dye it and show us the results. I, for one, would really like to see.

I believe that Walsh Oil and Blue Ribbon Oil are the same thing and have dye contained in the oil. I tried everything on my dry, orange Collegiate Alumni except dye, and Walsh was by far the most effective at darkening. But I still want it darker, and more oil of any kind will be too much oil.

Dye, dye, dye (that doesn't sound right!), and post the pics!
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Default **Update** Before & After Pictures

Hi all!

Well I tried oiling my horrible orange saddle with neatsfoot oil and I did certainly get it a bit darker, though not nearly enough. I think that I will strip it and dye it, just to give it a shot. I at least want to get it to match my bridle. We'll see!

At least it's nice and supple now!

Day I bought it:
    http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...15220121_n.jpg

After 1st oiling:
    http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-before.jpg

After 2nd oiling:
    http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...ddle-after.jpg
    www.readyforthebigeq.com