The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns in Corvallis area

Does anyone know of any good stables in Corvallis Oregon area (with in a 30 min. drive) that has plenty of stalls ( me and a group of friends are looking for a place to board our horses when we go to OSU this year- there are eight of us). We need one with an indoor arena that is larger than 120x60- the bigger the better.
    Thank you

I used to live there, but I know there are several other people on COTH that live close to Corvallis so hopefully one of them will see this.

It's going to be pretty hard to find eight stalls in one barn though. I have a friend that manages the OSU horse center, so you might see if they have any openings. Their indoor is HUGE, but they also used to have tons of strict rules about using it. The management has changed several times in recent year, so I'm not sure what it is like anymore though.

There are several nice barns in the area that I could recommend, but I doubt any of them would have 8 openings.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

You might try Bonnie and Steve at harvest meadows 541-757-1718. Not sure how full they are. I will ask my mom if she knows anyone. I have been out of the area for too long.

No idea if they have 8 openings, but Inavale is close (Philomath). http://www.inavalefarm.com/HFacility.html

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

8 stalls will be hard to find together. You might look at flyingchanges.com in their directory of stables to see if there are any that meet your needs. You might need to go a bit farther out than Corvallis, too.

Start asking, word of mouth will be your friend. Heinz57 on here is from Salem, and is pretty tied in in the mid-valley area. Try calling Inavale-they may help you find a place.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Innavale is amazing! But they usually have a waiting list. I tried for two years to get in.

Another thought: OSU Horse Program used to keep a list of the barns in the area, you could e-mail them and see if they still keep it up.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I live in Corvallis, sans horse for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    You might try Bonnie and Steve at harvest meadows 541-757-1718. Not sure how full they are. I will ask my mom if she knows anyone. I have been out of the area for too long.
    Well... first you have to get them to call you back! As I understand it, they just do boarding for friends, now.

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    Innavale is amazing! But they usually have a waiting list. I tried for two years to get in.

Another thought: OSU Horse Program used to keep a list of the barns in the area, you could e-mail them and see if they still keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    No idea if they have 8 openings, but Inavale is close (Philomath). http://www.inavalefarm.com/HFacility.html
    It depends on what you want. This was the place that I had "reservations," too. It was not as described and the bedding/pee situation is not something I could live with. Their XC course is amazing and rideable year-round if you don't mind getting rained on. You really need an indoor here in the winter. Inavale has a lesson program and theirs is a pretty standard size for the area, maybe 70' x 120'.

But if you do want to get into Inavale, now is the time to start asking. They fill up for the winter and with OSU students.

A lot of barns here do varying forms of self-care/co-op style (because the Oregon Department of Labor figured out a long time ago that barns were cheating on the employee vs. independent contractor issue and put a stop to that). It works well for a lot of OSU students.

What do you want in a barn, what can you live with and what do you want to pay? How far are you willing to drive for the right facility/feed/care?

E-mail me if you want ideas or help. I think my PM box is full.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks everyone for all the information. The big musts are a big arena we are currently keeping our horses at a place with an arena that is 120x60 and we are looking to expand if its not bigger we will keep them in brooks- which is kind of a long drive... We want partial care and it has to be less than $300 a month.