The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The new (?) troxel in the ad to your right

This one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/troxel...ampaign=avalon

I think I might love it! I'm looking for a well vented schooling helmet that doesn't cost so much I won't replace it if I fall off. I'm a die-hard AYR8 fan at the shows, but that looks great for the rest of the time!

The sizing is a little worry some, though. (I know, I know -- Smartpak does free shipping on sized items, but I'd still rather not unless I have to!)

Anyone wear a troxel and a CO? I'm a 7 1/8 in my CO, so it looks like I should do a medium. How do they adjust sizes within S/M/L?

Bummer -- I just re-read the text of the ad and it mentions a "cinch fit" system. Is that the same as dial fit? I've got a thing against dial fit... I don't think I could do it if it were dial fit.

I've always been anti-dial-fit, but actually like the one on my cheapie Ovation schooler. Go figure. It's a cute helmet. If it came in XS, I'd give it a try.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

My JR8 is a 54 and my older troxel is a S and quite snug, if that is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Bummer -- I just re-read the text of the ad and it mentions a "cinch fit" system. Is that the same as dial fit? I've got a thing against dial fit... I don't think I could do it if it were dial fit.
    I think their cinch fit is a bit different from the dial fit. There is a diagram in the dover catalogue if you check. It looks like its is not just one loop that tightens but a triangle shape? Odd but I would not rule them totally out.

I hate dial fits but love my Ovation schooler. Go figure!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I was coming here to post the exact same question! I'm DYING in this summer heat and ruining my CO with sweat. Looking for some cheapo vented schooling helming that I could basically hose out after a summer ride. I'll keep checking to see if anyone else has some thoughts, though I'm gathering Ovation is the way to go?

Diagram of the cinch-fit system:

http://www.troxelhelmets.com/technology

Looks like they have several new helmets that look really interesting, including a couple that seem to be positioned to compete with the Tipperary.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I've always been anti-dial-fit, but actually like the one on my cheapie Ovation schooler. Go figure.
    Same!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by KMLWakeLaw View Post
    Looking for some cheapo vented schooling helming that I could basically hose out after a summer ride. I'll keep checking to see if anyone else has some thoughts, though I'm gathering Ovation is the way to go?
    Depends on your head shape. I'm round-headed and tried Ovation's Protege -- loved the look, really light weight, good ventilation, but really uncomfortable for me. I ended up with the Tipperary Sportage and LOVE it.

I can't believe I'm going to say this about a Troxel helmet but I actually think it looks great! If you get one please let us know how you like it! I would love to do a blog post about helmets and this would be a great one to include.

Quote Originally Posted by KMLWakeLaw View Post
    I was coming here to post the exact same question! I'm DYING in this summer heat and ruining my CO with sweat. Looking for some cheapo vented schooling helming that I could basically hose out after a summer ride. I'll keep checking to see if anyone else has some thoughts, though I'm gathering Ovation is the way to go?
    I bought the cheapie Ovation upgraded with the CoolMax lining and it fits great and is really cool on my head.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

The "cinch fit" is the same as you find on bike helmets - basically you squeeze the two sides together, rather like a zip tie.

I have a very, very round head. Would love to know how these fit! When I called Dover a couple of weeks ago to ask about these, I was told that they haven't received their ASTM certification yet, so therefore they aren't available as of when I called.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I work at a tack shop and we have some new Troxel helmets with the cinch fit. As you can see in the diagram there are two snaps on each side. You adjust the snaps to adjust the fit.

I was JUST about to start a thread about this helmet!!

I think it looks SO COOL. Seriously considering trading my GPA for one when it bites the dust, the price point is way better!! Troxel is really stepping up with their design, what a sleek-looking helmet. I would absolutely show in it.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

OK - I impulse-bought and got one on order. I guess they got their ASTM certification! Yay! I'll report once I get it on fit, etc.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    OK - I impulse-bought and got one on order. I guess they got their ASTM certification! Yay! I'll report once I get it on fit, etc.
    Yeah! A guinea pig!

Please post as SOON as you get it! I'm like *this* close to giving in to temptation!!

I'm pretty tempted too. SmartPak's free shipping, free return shipping makes it attractive to take a flyer on it. I wish the local shops had them, but it seems like it might be a while.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have a CO show helmet that is a 7 1/8. I just ordered a Troxel (from Smartpak, yay free return shipping!) in a M and it wouldn't fit on my head. For reference, I ordered 3 different helmets, the Troxel, an Ovation, and an IRH. The M in the Ovation and IRH fit great, but Troxel seemed very small for a M.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I really really like the look of the venture helmet! I might have to order it and try it out! I need a new helmet to keep at my parents house, and if I like it, I may even show in it. I'm not keen on spending $400-$500 on a new helmet, just for the name. I'm big on fitting well (my head isn't easy to fit), so we'll see if this goes ok...