The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2007
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    OK, so people are saying that on a 20 meter circle some people have difficulty looking slightly toward the inside -where the horse is looking, aligning their shoulders with the horses shoulders, yet weighting the outside seatbone to aid against falling in? And people are trying to devise seemingly contradictory ways to achieve that? Too complicated for me.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    6,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    OK, so people are saying that on a 20 meter circle some people have difficulty looking slightly toward the inside -where the horse is looking, aligning their shoulders with the horses shoulders, yet weighting the outside seatbone to aid against falling in? And people are trying to devise seemingly contradictory ways to achieve that? Too complicated for me.

    I think that the problem is separating the upper torso from the lower torso when turning. When a rider turns her whole body toward the inside when turning the horse, the inside leg comes off, which encourages the horse to bulge his rib cage toward the inside. That means the horse leans in on the turn, and if the rider continues to turn her body toward the inside, then the leaning gets worse.

    All of this imagery is used to get the rider to understand that the lower torso does not twist to the inside at all, but rides the horse straight ahead and wraps the horse around the inside leg, keeping his rib cage swung out away from the inside leg.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post

    You can also think of it as pointing your inside seatbone towards the horse's outside ear. This brings the seatbones closer to the spine, like in 11:00 and 5:00 (as opposed to 'neutral' at 9:00 and 3:00).
    That's another good way of saying it. I'll add that to my memory bank.



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly in NJ View Post
    Yes, I'm in NJ - Actually you came over to "my" farm to pick up a young mare to trailer back to DC to train with Gabriel for a week a few months back.

    Did Gabriel bring you a foam finger from Gladstone?
    Maybe you are at Eagle's Crest?

    Lisa May was at Gladstone on the last day, so she brought me a foam finger.

    But the whole foam finger thing is a story itself. I make my own the day before, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6672804&type=3 but I was 'ahead of the curve.' Couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to drag my butt back up the road for the last day. So OF COURSE I missed all the fun!



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Lisa May used to ride in the MW clinics I rode in in MD and she would sometimes work with one of the riders while Mary was working with the other. She helped me more than Mary did.

    Lisa is a total doll. I'm trying to round up folks for her in NJ, so keep it in mind if you know of anyone.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    For good or for bad (probably good for horses and annoying for people), many years of equine association have strengthened my tendency toward literalness. Do you really mean to say that your seat bones move closer to your spine or that it feels as if the seatbones move closer to the spine?
    I am pretty sure she means seat bones closer to the horse's spine.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    OK, so people are saying that on a 20 meter circle some people have difficulty looking slightly toward the inside -where the horse is looking, aligning their shoulders with the horses shoulders, yet weighting the outside seatbone to aid against falling in? And people are trying to devise seemingly contradictory ways to achieve that? Too complicated for me.
    There is the very basic complication that everyone has a different 'starting point.'

    Yes, there are going to be different 'answers' when people are starting with different sets of issues/problems.

    If I want to get to Washington DC, I will open up my jolly MapQuest, plug in my start address, and bingo, directions!

    BUT, If you live in Seattle, you will likely get a very different set of directions. If you live in Singapore or Australia, they will also be different. That is not because the directions are wrong. Or because the starting address is wrong. It is because we are starting from different places.

    (Different bodies, different strengths, weaknesses, lengths of femur, arms, bounciness of horse trot, etc.)

    So yes, it is plausible that there are riders out there who would be overdoing something, and they would have to do the opposite, in order to arrive at the 'sweet spot'/final destination.



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Maybe you are at Eagle's Crest?

    Lisa May was at Gladstone on the last day, so she brought me a foam finger.

    But the whole foam finger thing is a story itself. I make my own the day before, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6672804&type=3 but I was 'ahead of the curve.' Couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to drag my butt back up the road for the last day. So OF COURSE I missed all the fun!
    That's me! I'm glad you ended up with an "official" finger!



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    12,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    There is the very basic complication that everyone has a different 'starting point.'

    Yes, there are going to be different 'answers' when people are starting with different sets of issues/problems.

    If I want to get to Washington DC, I will open up my jolly MapQuest, plug in my start address, and bingo, directions!

    BUT, If you live in Seattle, you will likely get a very different set of directions. If you live in Singapore or Australia, they will also be different. That is not because the directions are wrong. Or because the starting address is wrong. It is because we are starting from different places.

    (Different bodies, different strengths, weaknesses, lengths of femur, arms, bounciness of horse trot, etc.)

    So yes, it is plausible that there are riders out there who would be overdoing something, and they would have to do the opposite, in order to arrive at the 'sweet spot'/final destination.
    More pertinent to the other thread but long or short torso also matters.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    More pertinent to the other thread but long or short torso also matters.
    Oh yeah. There are probably as many things that 'matter' as there are distinct individuals.

    For me personally, what matters most on a daily basis is usually my personal muscle tone. Some days I am floppy, and it's harder to get my body to work for me. Some days I am more stretched out, or tighter. And my stirrups may need to be a hole or two longer or shorter, because my muscles are just in a different place on that day.

    Everyone really does have to make their own personal map that provides pertinent directions for their own personal issues.



Similar Threads

  1. Wanless video in Dressage Today
    By Isabeau Z Solace in forum Dressage
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: Jul. 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Mary Wanless Clinic
    By Karosel in forum Dressage
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: Nov. 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
  3. Blitz & Wanless articles in Sept DT
    By Isabeau Z Solace in forum Dressage
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: Nov. 2, 2011, 11:00 PM
  4. Mary Wanless and Eventers?
    By Kairoshorses in forum Eventing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar. 9, 2009, 11:42 AM
  5. Mary Wanless Techniques
    By paulosey in forum Dressage
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Nov. 20, 2008, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness