The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmetless in a sale ad makes the horse more appealing?

This came up in another thread but just to be clear I am NOT referencing any one individual or ad. I have heard this reasoning more than once and just am curious how prevalent it is.

The argument goes that it's a plus to ride a dressage horse helmetless in a sale video to show how "trustworthy" or "ammy-friendly" it is.

Personally, this logic escapes me -- helmet or lack thereof really doesn't tell me anything about the horse. To me it's like choosing to buy a car because you saw the previous owner driving it without a seatbelt ("Wow! That car must be supersafe!!").

It presents an unprofessional appearance in my opinion. If there's a posed portrait sans helmet, I don't care. If your sales tactic is all helmetless, I just think 'careless' rather than 'bombproof.'

Western riders in helmets on finished horses? It's a double standard but I think it looks weird.

YAWN

I wouldn't try a horse shown by a rider not wearing a helmet. This is not one of those extreme statements said without any real weight behind it to make a point. I feel very (very very) strongly about wearing helmets on multiple levels. There are enough horses for sale that would match my needs that I have no desire to support dangerous behavior.

I also won't buy a horse that had an ad featuring a rider sans shoes or riding in a barbwire pasture. All of these things demonstrate a lack of understanding about how quickly accidents can happen. If you live in a world of "it won't happen to me because I'm such a fan-freaking-tastic rider" I really would rather avoid that whole trainwreck altogether.

I am sure it doesn't bother some people but we all have our personal hangups and this one is arguably at the top of my list.

When I'm looking at horse ads I'm looking to buy a horse, not the rider, so I can't say I take notice of what they have on their head.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

There is a young FEI trainer/rider from our area who has gone to bigger things on the west coast working for an Olympian. She never, ever wore a helmet...it was a top hat, ball cap or just the pony tail bobbing up and down. When you look at her website and see videos and photos, even riding at Symposiums, no helmet. The last 18 months or so, all of a sudden you are seeing photos/videos and she has a helmet on! So for whatever reason, if it is an awareness of safety or maybe wanting to be politically correct, it is a good thing. But the older photos/videos are still posted. It is a personal thing, but I think a reflection on professionalism.

When I'm looking at horse ads I'm looking to buy a horse, not the rider, so I can't say I take notice of what they have on their head.
    Exactly. Good lord who the fruitbat cares if the rider in the ads wears a helmet or not.

How exactly does that effect the quality of the horse?

The world has gone nutty when people now can't assess the quality of a horse if the rider is not wearing a helmet. GUFFAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Exactly. Good lord who the fruitbat cares if the rider in the ads wears a helmet or not..
    yes. Not going to sway me one bit

It didn't stop me from buying the best gaited TWH on my property.

Off of Craigslist

Here's my crazy husband in a helmet on said horse. In a field surrounded by barbed wire and Republicans. This will not DO!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Here's my crazy husband in a helmet on said horse. In a field surrounded by barbed wire and Republicans. This will not DO!

I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Just to be clear -- I'm talking about people who say they were ASKED by the client (i.e., owner selling the horse) NOT to wear a helmet to "improve" the ad.

Glad to hear that I'm not weird for thinking "huh?".

ETA: Katarine -- cute horse (and hubby!)

I was responding to this:

I wouldn't try a horse shown by a rider not wearing a helmet. This is not one of those extreme statements said without any real weight behind it to make a point. I feel very (very very) strongly about wearing helmets on multiple levels. There are enough horses for sale that would match my needs that I have no desire to support dangerous behavior.

I know of situations where someone is told to ride with no helmet for an ad. I think it's a ridiculous attitude.

I don't think it's something I would notice, though, when horse shopping. Rather, I notice the horses whose heads are in one position as if that's all the muscles can do any more after being forced there by training aids, with a back which is stuck in a hollow position and hocks trailing. This can happen in ads with or without a rider, and is more what makes me have no interest in a horse.

I'm hoping the fact the favorite for Olympic gold (in some opinions, at least) rides in a helmet will help change attitudes among dressage riders. I'm not sure if it will help outside of dressage, but I love that even more and more western riders are using helmets. Growing up we weren't aware how much damage even mild concussions could cause. We know enough now, I hope we learn to be smart about it.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

troll alert. do not feed the troll.

Huh?

Not sure why you would think I'm trolling. I'd heard this once before and thought it was weird, then read it again yesterday on another thread so I was wondering if it was a common viewpoint. No hidden agenda.