The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink I Think My Puppy Thinks I'm Boring

So, what do you do with a 3.5 month old Boxer puppy?
    We do a little fetch, tug, and of course work on commands (sit, down, stay, come, side/heel, turn around).
    We run around the yard hoping the neighbors aren't watching.
    We go on walks, both on and off leash.
    We play with two neighbors' dogs that we know are UTD on vaccinations and not sick.
    We attend Puppy Kindergarten weekly, which includes play time.

We seem to be able to tire him out physically, but he still seems bored sometimes.

Any ideas for other ways to interact with him?
    Or, am I overthinking this?

Do you have any puppy agility available?

We have it here, or used to at least (it's been a LONG time since I've had a puppy) and it's just totally low key, no height introduction to the equipment. It is HILARIOUS...we would just be roaring with laughter watching the puppies play.

Or just set something like that up in your yard

I've also used clicker training tricks to get them engaged mentally!

The training center I use starts puppy agility at 6 months. We will finish Puppy K and go right into Puppy II and then right into Puppy Agility.

It sounds like you are doing a lot. I am super active with my puppy but there were periods of time where I felt he was bored. He has minimal food motivation so nose work didn't do anything for him but if you have a puppy with food drive it can be a fun way to mix things up: http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/...on-nose-games/

Dexter and I also did a lot of "hide and seek" which worked on his sit/stay and recall while making it into a fun game.

I could fix that easily. Get him a friend
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    It sounds like you are doing a lot. I am super active with my puppy but there were periods of time where I felt he was bored. He has minimal food motivation so nose work didn't do anything for him but if you have a puppy with food drive it can be a fun way to mix things up: http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/...on-nose-games/

Dexter and I also did a lot of "hide and seek" which worked on his sit/stay and recall while making it into a fun game.
    Not real food motivated, unless I just haven't found his favorite treat yet.

Hide and seek sounds great!! Guess what we're doing tonight?!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I could fix that easily. Get him a friend
    Husband was clear on the one dog rule unfortunately!

but he still seems bored sometimes.
    Well, with a puppy, your first and foremost job is to socialize him- that doesn't mean you let him romp out of control at the dog park, it means you take him to all kinds of new places and expose him to new experiences in a pleasant, positive fashion. One of the better puppy training places around here used to pass out a "puppy checklist" with hundreds of items on it to do and see with your puppy- take a ride in an elevator together. Meet and greet someone in a wheelchair. Walk calmly past a goat. Practice sits at a noisy construction site. I wish I'd kept a copy of it, it was brilliant.

Free-shape new tricks, try to teach one new trick each and every day.

Begin work towards a rally obedience title.

Give him a job- find the remote, find the kids, fetch the slippers, carry the handbag.

If he's not food-motivated, make him work for each and every bit of food he eats. That'll build food motivation.

Here's a good puppy socialization checklist ... there are more out there via Google.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/01/s...ist-will-help/

Yes the trainer gave us a couple of lists of things to expose your puppy to. We are way ahead of schedule.
    I am taking him a lot of places, as long as it is not a "doggy" place until he gets his last set of shots.

Giving him a job sounds good too.

Oh, he loves my house bunny and knows how to interact safely with him. A few days ago the bunny escaped outside and holed up under some dense brush. We used Bruno to help us find and flush him out. He loved that game. (I swear the bunny is fine with it! I would not let him be stressed!)

What about a photo shoot so we can see piccies of said Boxer baby!!

How long have you had him? When we first got our boxer boy at 13 weeks (he's nine years old now) he seemed tireless. We'd be outside playing with him for hours, then he'd start to flag but after a five minute power nap he'd be back bouncing around wanting more!! He's a huge part of our life, pretty much if we go somewhere he goes too (within reason); he loves bumbling around with us, as long as he's part of whatever we're doing he's happy and he's always been like that. Boxers like to be involved in everything, from playing to working to snuggles on the couch watching rubbish on tv.

He was very high energy when he was a youngster, would charge around the place doing laps like a lunatic and still does although life is a bit more sedate for him these days and the laps are shorter and slower. We used to take him to doggy day care once or twice a week which he absolutely loved and was great for him physically, mentally and socially. Once the kennels changed hands he didn't seem to enjoy it so we stopped taking him. He still gets to interact with lots of other dogs so all is good on the social scene. One thing he does is yell at his food before eating it - does anyone else's dog do this??
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Oh, of course, pictures!
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...28915100_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...11620604_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...95123796_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...60546033_n.jpg

Got him at almost 12 weeks old, so a few weeks.
    He plays hard and then zonks out for long naps.
    Like yours, he goes everywhere reasonable with us.
    He doesn't yell at his food but he does talk to his toys and the other boxer puppy that lives in the fireplace and the sliding glass door (his reflection).

Oh, he also knows OUT (leave in the direction I am pointing) and DROP IT and LEAVE IT. And GENTLE KITTEN meaning he can approach the cat and sniff and lick, but no Boxer smacks.

So far, and I am probably jinxing myself, he seems remarkably smart. He brought me the roll of toilet paper and I told him NO PAPER and he hasn't tried it again. Ditto shoe and throw pillow.

This week we also started Invisible Fence training. After three days of casually approaching the flags and then retreating into the yard when the beeping starts, he already stops following me and sits about 3 feet back from the flags. (No zaps yet - posts are blocked)

As much as I am enjoying this guy, I am still missing my late Cody dog.

Bruno...LOVE THE NAME! And from the pics, I say it suits him to a T! I'm not usually a boxer fan, but he is very handsome! My cousin has a brindle with a dark face and I don't care for him. I like your guy though!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Horse with No Name View Post
    One thing he does is yell at his food before eating it - does anyone else's dog do this??
    Oh my gosh, that is adorable. I'd love to see a video of that.

Awww Bruno is gorgeous! And he sounds smart too. Our boy is a smart guy but sometimes it suits him better to play the dumb jock

lasikblue, I'll see what I can do.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?