The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots similar to Ariat Volant Zip Paddock, but aren't garbage, and don't fall apart?

REI type footwear? Looking for med/lat stable foot bed and preferably zip. Is there any reason that Volant Zip Paddock Boots must fall apart after 5 months?? The leather is cracking, the dye is all faded to grey, and the footbed is breaking down. I loved the stability that they provided for my feet, but come on - get your stuff together, Ariat! The Paddock Boots that I purchased last year are also a piece, as they also started having problems within a year. Years ago I purchased Ariat paddock boots, and they lasted me 7 years (no joke). I am not hard on my footwear in any regards. My first pair of Muck Boots lasted me 8 years! I am going to return these garbage Volant Zip Paddock Boots to where I purchased them and get my money back.

Thank goodness I decided not to waste $500 on purchasing Ariat Volant Vented Tall Boots. That would have been another huge disappointment and waste of money.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider; Jul. 19, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

No input here, but good luck! I asked the same question regarding the Ariat RT/Hanovers. No luck so far . I wish Dansko would go back to paddock boots...

Just last Sat. I had a lengthy conversation with a local tack shop owner about paddock boots. He used to carry Ariat, Dehner and Grand Prix. Now he only carries Ariat, and he says it's all our fault. He claims that people buy Ariats, knowing full well that they will fall apart within a year, just because they are more comfortable than any other brand. He was amazed when I told him my Cobalts just bit the dust after 3yrs. That's 2 yrs longer than the "norm". Now they're not even making the Cobalts anymore The equivalent is the Quantum, and they're about $50 more of course. I left without buying anything, but I'm going to have to replace them soon!

I have a pair of Tredsteps, but they are not comfortable. As soon as I get through riding I change into my Merrill hiking shoes to do chores.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Is there any reason that Volant Zip Paddock Boots must fall apart after 5 months??
    Contact Ariat (or tack shop you purchased from) - pretty sure that Ariat still offers a 1 yr warranty from date of sale

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I saw the Dublin "Intensity" boot at the tack store a month or so ago. Very comfortable insole, reminded me of Ariat. I hear they are new on the market so I don't know how they hold up, but they were some darn comfy boots.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by TBKate View Post
    No input here, but good luck! I asked the same question regarding the Ariat RT/Hanovers. No luck so far . I wish Dansko would go back to paddock boots...
    Why did Dansko stop making paddock boots? They haven't made them in years now and yet there are so many people who still absolutely rave about them

My Cavallo paddock boots, with zip, laces and elastic inserts, have lasted 3 years with no visible signs of them breaking down AND were not much more expensive than Ariats even after I had them shipped from Europe! I'll never buy Ariat again.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

After reading all this on COTH about Ariat's quality, I can't even tell you all how glad I am that I didn't drop $500 on new tall boots yesterday!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I have had problems with Ariat zippers in the past but I must say that I love my Volant tall boots and they are going into their 3rd year and they get a lot of use .... 2 rides a day, 5-6 days/week. They don't look like show boots these days but they've held up and they're very comfortable.

Get a pair of Dehners, or Justin ropers, they are not as comfortable but will last and as a bonus are USA made.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    REI type footwear? Looking for med/lat stable foot bed and preferably zip. Is there any reason that Volant Zip Paddock Boots must fall apart after 5 months?? The leather is cracking, the dye is all faded to grey, and the footbed is breaking down. I loved the stability that they provided for my feet, but come on - get your stuff together, Ariat! The Paddock Boots that I purchased last year are also a piece, as they also started having problems within a year. Years ago I purchased Ariat paddock boots, and they lasted me 7 years (no joke). I am not hard on my footwear in any regards. My first pair of Muck Boots lasted me 8 years! I am going to return these garbage Volant Zip Paddock Boots to where I purchased them and get my money back.

Thank goodness I decided not to waste $500 on purchasing Ariat Volant Vented Tall Boots. That would have been another huge disappointment and waste of money.

Thanks!
    Thank you for this thread. I saw these this past weekend and loved the look of them and was planning on saving up for their hefty price tag. I love the comfort of the Ariats but have also noticed my boots have been falling apart after no time at all. Cracked leather, uncomfortable insole...