The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Toys For The Serious Chewer/Picker/Destroyer

I have a 1 y/o Beagle/Schnauzer (weird, I know!) mix pup who we have fondly nicknamed Captain Destructo.

It's been a constant struggle for me to find toys that he 1. Will chew 2. Won't destroy in 2 seconds.

He LOVES stuffed toys, rope toys, etc. but only because they're fun to tear apart and shred. He's the type of dog who will "pick" at the seams and any sticky-outy parts until he's shredded the entire toy.

I have bought him Kongs and Orbee-Tuff toys, but he will not touch them unless there is food inside, or when he throws them for himself to play one-dog-fetch. He won't settle down and really chew on anything that has rounded edges like that, because there's nothing 'fun' to pick at! He LOVES rawhides but I'd rather not make that an everyday thing, just because of the safety hazard. He isn't prone to chewing/eating big chunks off of them, but there's always a risk! Bully sticks are gone in 2 seconds. I have some boiled up soup bones for him that he does like, but they won't satisfy his need to shred! He has started destroying his bed because I took away all of his "pickable" toys.

Is there ANYTHING out there for a dog like this?! Help COTH!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Sounds like he could be related to my dog. You MUST post pictures of that cross, it sounds adorable.

We buy her the cheap $1 Wal*Mart toys and let her pick them apart when she's supervised. I figured it was either that or my throw pillows/the cats/bed pillows/couch cushions/underwear/baby diapers (which are a PITA to clean up). I make sure that nothing has a beeper in it, and she hangs out where I can see her. I also pray to the puppy gods that it's only a stage.

She has a Nyla-bone (sp?) that she chews on fairly often, but it doesn't seem to satisfy her need for total destruction. The fluffier the 'guts' the better for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post

She has a Nyla-bone (sp?) that she chews on fairly often, but it doesn't seem to satisfy her need for total destruction. The fluffier the 'guts' the better for her.
    YES!! He just can't get enough destruction! I just ordered him a bed from K9 Ballistics because he's killing his.

This is my little monster:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99987956_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...00613317_n.jpg - "Why will no one play with me?!"
    and a video of his guard dog skillz: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=579228365351

PONY'TUDE

AND a picture of him when he's fluffy!!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...65792273_n.jpg

PONY'TUDE

Have you tried a Buster Food Cube?
    http://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Cu.../dp/B0006G54OU
    They can be great for dogs who are into food (and what beagle mix isn't?) Just be sure to subtract the amount of kibble from his daily food.

You can also look into raw feeding for him, I've seen that make a world of difference. Don't bother boiling up those soup bones either, they are better for him (and will keep his attention longer) raw.
    Don't forget plenty of exercise for him. I have a couple of dogs who would gladly shred my house. But they are outside whenever I am out working (I've got a small farm) and I make sure to throw sticks for them, work on obedience and encourage them to use their minds and bodies.
    When they come inside - they sleep! I came in to cool off just now and there are 4 dogs sprawled out around my feet, 2 on the couch.

BTW, he is insanely cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
    Have you tried a Buster Food Cube?
    http://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Cu.../dp/B0006G54OU
    They can be great for dogs who are into food (and what beagle mix isn't?) Just be sure to subtract the amount of kibble from his daily food.

You can also look into raw feeding for him, I've seen that make a world of difference. Don't bother boiling up those soup bones either, they are better for him (and will keep his attention longer) raw.
    Don't forget plenty of exercise for him. I have a couple of dogs who would gladly shred my house. But they are outside whenever I am out working (I've got a small farm) and I make sure to throw sticks for them, work on obedience and encourage them to use their minds and bodies.
    When they come inside - they sleep! I came in to cool off just now and there are 4 dogs sprawled out around my feet, 2 on the couch.

BTW, he is insanely cute.
    Oh my word i think he NEEDS that buster cube! His favorite thing ever is when I stuff his rubber toys/kongs with treats, he has figured out just the right way to fling them so they all fall out! I just don't want to make him overweight by keeping him busy with food all the time.

I try to get him outside to play a lot during the day but most days I am stuck at the computer working. We do take him on runs/walks/hikes whenever we can and that helps!

And thank you, my mom thinks he should be in a dog food commercial.

PONY'TUDE

I have one too!

Thanks so much for the tip re K9B beds.

I've been searching for chew proof beds for my destructive pup and nothing like that ever came up.

Mine like the antlers and marrow bones (you can find the bones in the freezer section at your local pet food store).

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    YES!! He just can't get enough destruction! I just ordered him a bed from K9 Ballistics because he's killing his.

This is my little monster:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99987956_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...00613317_n.jpg - "Why will no one play with me?!"
    and a video of his guard dog skillz: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=579228365351
    Oh goodness! He is obviously very unhappy there and needs to come to my house right away!

A-freakin'-dorable!!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

The Buster cube is wonderful as a toy while you're NOT AT HOME. It drove me crazy when I was home because the combination of hard kibble and hard plastic was just to darn noisy!

Before you give a really serious chewer antlers, please do a google search re tooth issues that can crop up. Many dogs that are heavy chewers have had problems with broken teeth that have led to big vet bills for extractions or other treatment. My dog is a light chewer and has had antlers from this past Christmas that she has hardly made a dent in. On the other hand, my girlfriend has 2 goldens that are dedicated chewers and at their last exam, both had chipped teeth that are being watched. As much as they love them, she no longer lets them have antlers.

I have 2 Pits and a Pit/Vizsla mix....serious chewers is an understatement.

These Nylabones are my best friend, I usually get 2 weeks - 1 month out of them: http://www.nylabone.com/product-find...e-original.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    I have 2 Pits and a Pit/Vizsla mix....serious chewers is an understatement.

These Nylabones are my best friend, I usually get 2 weeks - 1 month out of them: http://www.nylabone.com/product-find...e-original.htm
    Thanks for the suggestion!! Do they also love to pick at/destroy softer toys? In a perfect world I would be able to find a toy that will satisfy his desire to shred things without actually shredding them!

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Oh goodness! He is obviously very unhappy there and needs to come to my house right away!

A-freakin'-dorable!!
    Superminion he's probably the HAPPIEST little dog in the world!!! SO easy to have around, minus the utter destruction... He just ripped a hard rubber tire toy to shreds over the past 2 days. His bed is leaking fluff. But he's CUTE!

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    Superminion he's probably the HAPPIEST little dog in the world!!! SO easy to have around, minus the utter destruction... He just ripped a hard rubber tire toy to shreds over the past 2 days. His bed is leaking fluff. But he's CUTE!
    I feel the same way about mine. The barn-folk call her Dizzy because she's just go go go go go go nap go go go go go. She's always thrilled about every single little thing. No matter what. The attitude is catching!

The cuteness often makes up for the utter destruction.

They do make toys designed for dogs to de-stuff.....they're stuffed animals with an open belly that has "eggs" in it that the dog pulls out.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-Babies-O.../dp/B0009YHTA6

My SO's big picker/defluffer (omg that rip....rippp....riiiiiipppp noise of her killing a toy drives me nuts!) Golden got one of these for Christmas. It lasted a while...then she figured out how to pull the "eggs" out too quickly, and became bored. And then once she was bored, she destuffed the eggs, destuffed the animal, and then ripped the head off for good measure. But it kept her entertained for about a month or two!

She also LOVES to hold dishtowels. Not that you want to encourage your guy to walk around stealing the linens, but "my" Golden loves to just drag a towel around the house. No idea why.

Other than that...I second the suggestion of the $1 Walmart/Dollar Tree dog toys, destuffed under supervision. My Golden gets a toy to destuff about twice a week, and marrow bones to chew outside. Seems to keep her pretty content, although she's now 11, not a bratty puppy!

No advice but I just wanted to say he's ADORABLE!

My husband refers to our Airedale as "Galactus, Destroyer of Worlds" for her propensity to completely demolish every toy we've ever given her.

The ones that have survived:

Orka toys - especially the "jack" shaped one, which has openings for food/treats to be stuffed in. This has been a favorite for a long time.

Tuff toys rated 9 or 10 - she can kills anything 8 or lower on the "tuff" scale but our 9 and 10 toys are still going strong. (They're not really FOR chewing, but having them to play with seems to forestall destruction of chewy things.)

Nylabones of the "dura chew" line

Everything else has bitten the dust, often in world-record time. When she really gets locked on "chew" mode she indiscriminately ingests some of whatever she's destroying, so we have had to be pretty careful about what she gets. The Orka toy particularly has survived since puppyhood without disintegrating into pieces she can eat, so that's the go-to crate/quiet time toy.