The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question About Resale value...

I am wondering about what I can expect of the following situation:

If I were to purchase a green broke horse and put some training into it and show it local H/J shows, and get it going well from 2'9" or 3' what could I expect to sell the horse for?

I'm thinking of an OTTB, around 16H and under 5 years old being trained for Hunter Jumper.

I would be reselling in the Florida area approximately a year after purchase or so.

I just want to know if I could get close to breaking even after my expenses. This is something I've done once before (not a OTTB though) but I never sold the horse because I got too attached. I'm not hoping to make a profit I'm just curious to know what I might be able to sell for.

You realize that the answer depends entirely on the innate quality of the horse and the quality of the training put into it, plus the added uncontrollable variables of luck and avoidance of disaster or accident. You could end up giving the horse away or selling it for six figures or anywhere in between. Absolutely no way to tell without seeing the ability of the horse in question, learning as you go with it how much time and money it's going to take to make it marketable at all, and knowing how much time and money you are personally willing to put in to get it to its ultimate level of marketability.

Ask Maxxtrot...she is located in FL and is a realible horse dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    You realize that the answer depends entirely on the innate quality of the horse and the quality of the training put into it, plus the added uncontrollable variables of luck and avoidance of disaster or accident. You could end up giving the horse away or selling it for six figures or anywhere in between. Absolutely no way to tell without seeing the ability of the horse in question, learning as you go with it how much time and money it's going to take to make it marketable at all, and knowing how much time and money you are personally willing to put in to get it to its ultimate level of marketability.
    Sure of course. I'm just wondering ballparks.

That was the ballpark she's talking about. You can hit a homerun, strike-out, or make a base or two. All based on luck, talent and timing.

Really can't answer that. You could have to give away or sell for 100k really depends
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    That was the ballpark she's talking about. You can hit a homerun, strike-out, or make a base or two. All based on luck, talent and timing.
    Well I thought I was giving enough info on the hypothetical situation. I understand that horses can break a leg, not progress well with training, not pin at shows etc etc...

I'm just asking I guess what can you expect to get usually for a retrained OTTB in the Florida area that is young and can win at 2'9" or 3' H/J shows.

The answer isn't going to be my bible, I'm just curious.

Ok I'll play hypothetically speaking. Great brain good confo sound vets well going good 3ft in locals winning and cleaning house but can't go rated I'd say around 5 to 8k

Same as above but is now showing rated and winning but can't go higher maybe 10k but if can go higher and is fancy maybe 20 to 30k

Doing locals as above but winning here and there maybe 2500 to 5000
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Ok I'll play hypothetically speaking. Great brain good confo sound vets well going good 3ft in locals winning and cleaning house but can't go rated I'd say around 5 to 8k

Same as above but is now showing rated and winning but can't go higher maybe 10k but if can go higher and is fancy maybe 20 to 30k

Doing locals as above but winning here and there maybe 2500 to 5000
    Thank you. I know it's a question that would require a crystal ball to answer with certainty. I was just wondering some basics. I looked at sold ads in my area and the prices were all over the places but it was for apples and oranges - hard to compare.

One year is too long, you will probably not make a profit if youare boarding.

Sell fast,marker the horse under value, so buyers will feel they are getting a deal.

Look for an OTTB with something flashy (like lots of chrome), and a good mover. Something that has already had a little downtime is a bonus. Most OTTB`s walk, trot and can canter at least one direction. To make money, you need to move the horse along fast. Jumping small courses with flying changes. Get him out to a show. Then get good video and pictures. This could all be done in a few months with the right horse.

In a year, dont forget the extra fees like farrier, vaccines, teeth etc that add up.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    One year is too long, you will probably not make a profit if youare boarding.

Sell fast,marker the horse under value, so buyers will feel they are getting a deal.

Look for an OTTB with something flashy (like lots of chrome), and a good mover. Something that has already had a little downtime is a bonus. Most OTTB`s walk, trot and can canter at least one direction. To make money, you need to move the horse along fast. Jumping small courses with flying changes. Get him out to a show. Then get good video and pictures. This could all be done in a few months with the right horse.

In a year, dont forget the extra fees like farrier, vaccines, teeth etc that add up.
    I want a year because part of this is for me just to have some fun with. Thank you for your input though! I appreciate your advice.