The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default oral joint supplement vs injectable

What is better to use oral or injectable? I have heard alot lately that oral is not as effective and injectable is what to use.

I've seen much better results with an IM Pentosan shot than a feed-through. It is also cheaper for me to do the Pentosan.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Pentosan or Adequan is cheaper and more effective than any quality feed through supplement IMO.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I was searching thorough the forums and came across this article that was posted.

http://www.ker.com/library/proceedin...rt%20Horse.pdf

It disucusses HA, Adequan, Pentosan, and Oral supplements in more detail that I can comprehend.

I'm a marketer's dream: with 'sucker' branded on my forehead. I've purchased every bucket of white powder that is priced in the $100.00 bracket and never noticed any difference in my horses...anecdotal information and I'm (was)
    convinced.

Foxtrot's, your post made me giggle out loud. I think many of us are guilty of getting excited about "anecdata."

My vet says that the only oral supplements of proven efficacy are MSM and glucosamine, so my guys are all on SmartFlex Senior with her blessing (she likes the other active ingredients -- prebiotics, probiotics, etc. -- and the quality). I started IM Adequan injections for my 14-year-old TB about a week and a half ago, and the difference, in just a few days of use, has been absolutely startling. We may also be doing joint injections later in the summer.

OOOh, anecdata - SmartFlex Senior ... wonder if that will help my horse with...(insert problem)...just kidding. I'm reformed.

Good luck with the Adequan injections.

I have had excelent results with both Adequan and Pentosan.

Yes have to agree with the MSM and glucosamine the smart flex senior is good have used it in the past. Questioning whether or not oral is really worth the money spent monthly? I have started a few on the injectable glucosamine and have seen results but it does not hold them much longer than a week.......

I like the SmartFlex Senior and have had good results with it, but I will never pay more than $40/month for an oral joint supplement. I can do Adequan or another injectible for just a smidge over $40 each month, and they definitely show better results. I'm dying to give my senior horse Adequan, but just haven't been able to stomach the cost of the loading dose quite yet. That is really the only major drawback to injectables, IMO.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Have attended vet seminars where we were told injectables Legend/Adequan and similar seem to work better than various powered options. Also have a holistic veterinarian who recommended liquid glucosamine. She felt powdered supps were not absorbed well, if at all.

The only oral I would ever use is MSM. Pentosan seems to be pretty darn good, and costs less than most of the fancy oral stuff.

I'm dying to give my senior horse Adequan, but just haven't been able to stomach the cost of the loading dose quite yet.
    Pentosan is about $12 a dose.
    Click here before you buy.

My vet says the only way the hylauronic brands are effective is injected. She also recommends msm, glucosamine, and chondriaton (I know I spelled it wrong) to feed. I've always fed msm and glucosamine, but I guess it needs to chondriatin to to work better. It's pretty cheap. I buy ingredients separately, msm and glucosamine from horse catalogs and chondriaton from PureBulk.

MSM and injectables
    --Pentosan, Adequan) and with Legend added during a show
    friend of bar*ka

What is given for muscle soreness.... or to prevent muscle soreness?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrege View Post
    What is given for muscle soreness.... or to prevent muscle soreness?
    Proper warm up, cool down, appropriate level of fitness for the job, lots of turn out and a day off after a hard workout.
    Click here before you buy.