The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We lost an incredible horse Friday

cry:
    Hey I seldom comment but needed to vent. We lost my daughter's amazing Trakhener gelding Friday.

He had been a bit sluggish for the week before just moving real slow, it had been so hot, we aren't used to that. I thought I am sluggish to..just keep them cool.

Well Wednesday he appeared stiff all over like he was all over body sore. I had a friend give him some reiki. Thursday my daughter gave him a massage, but he was like he was drunk.. not walking normal. I texted my vet said there is something wrong.. We had a commitment in the city that night. My gf
    texted said he was weaving, throwing himself to the ground having a tuff time standing.. so we immediately came home.. had the vet meet us there.. It was so bad.. he was not throwing himself down then, just really walking like a drunk. The vet diagnoses Spinal Ataxia (Wobblers) and recommend Euthanasia. Said do you deworm with Quest? I said yes, but not since January.. ? Could be a poison weed... (he is on same feed as everyone else).. we grow it ourselves? maybe came in contact with a virus and the antigen has caused major neurological problems..

Any body else ever experience something like this.. we are just reeling..

I am so sorry for your loss

So sorry for your loss. I didn't think Wobblers came on that fast and sudden? (would have guessed either the poison or even EPM maybe). Whatever the cause, it is still devestating and take comfort in you did the right thing and he is in a better place - I've been there with a mare of mine a few years ago (her necropsy was positive for EPM) and I know how it is. The neuro ones are the hard ones because they are so awful to watch. Hugs to you and your daughter.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

First, so sorry about your loss...

I also would strongly lean towards EPM as we just lost a client's mare to this as well. Relatively similar symptoms.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

The list of diseases involving neurologic symptoms is huge. Wobblers, EPM, West Nile, the encephalitic diseases, even rabies. Sometimes you can even have tick born illnesses present with some neurologic involvment. So hard to give a definitive diagnosis without any diagnostic testing.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I'm so sorry. I agree that the cause needs a diagnosis, as Hillside stated. There are so many neurologically-affecting toxins and diseases especially during the summer. And I feel so badly about your loss - very, very sorry.

So sorry, it is so hard and strange to watch them go downhill so quickly like that. I lost a mare similarly last summer.

So sorry for your loss

Very sorry to hear it Ibehorsepoor. Because our horses can't tell us what's wrong and we can't watch them every minute, sometimes these things just remain a mystery. And, it may have nothing to do with any toxin or disease.
    Many years ago, a lovely gelding I rode suffered something similar -- became ataxic suddenly. When there was no improvement, he was sent to the Univ. PA Vet. Center for further diagnosis. It was discovered that he had a previously undiagnosed slight congenital spinal malformation that caused no problem until, apparently, it suffered a direct injury (rolling over a rock in the pasture?) that caused permanent severe lameness.
    Just recently, a lovely TB mare in our barn suffered a seizure in her pasture. Although it has not caused the severe ataxia you describe, she has been unrideable since.
    Sometimes, there is just nothing that we can do to prevent career ending or even fatal conditions in our horses.

I'm so sorry. I lost a mini to almost exact same thing.

oh no! he was such a nice boy! from what you listed i would think EPM or some other neurological system issue.

i am so sorry....

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Neuro symptoms are the worst, lots of us have been there. As it has been stated, many possiblities. Very sorry you are having to go through this.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

OMG I am so sorry

~~~HUGS~~~ to you and your Daughter
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

So sorry for your loss!

As others have mentioned, I would suspect either EPM or a spinal injury or malformation that reached critical mass. A necropsy would be the only way to know for sure.

Thanks for all of your kind words. It is hard. I checked EPM and actuallly the symptoms sound quite similar. Only I live in Alberta, and did not think that was something we had to worry about.

The vet suggested that he had been exposed to the Herpes virus and although never was symptomatic.. maybe his antigens that he developed for that were attacking the nervous system..

Unfortunately we will never know for sure.. but we do know that it was an incredible tragedy

They did a post mortem.. and decided that everything looked so good.... they did not do a histology because thought that it would not show anything.. all organs looked good apparently. and the reality is that this horse has never looked better.

My daughter was planning on bringing him out and WOWing everyone, competing in third level dressage..:-(

Another thing to note that Thursday, he was scared of things in his pen that have been there and are part of our regular training.. ie the bridge, tarp, cowboy curtain.. barrels.. everything spooked him..

I almost lean towards a brain tumour...
    Last edited by Ibehorsepoor!; Jul. 18, 2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: additional info

I do hope that your DVM was able to rule out rabies.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibehorsepoor! View Post
    Thanks for all of your kind words. It is hard. I checked EPM and actuallly the symptoms sound quite similar. Only I live in Alberta, and did not think that was something we had to worry about.
    It depends. There have been reported cases of EPM in Canada, but only in Southern Canada, as far as I know. So, if you live in the Calgary area or further south, it is a definite possibility. Opposum's do exist in Southern Alberta and British Columbia.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I do hope that your DVM was able to rule out rabies.
    honestly he never checked for that.. but we live right in town.. I never even thought about that.. so I guess we will never know..

there was no frothy mouth though.. but I honestly dont know the symptoms of rabies.

I'm so very sorry.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So sorry you had to go through this. I completely understand.....

I had one of my colts diagnosed as a wobbler and had surgery done. It went well and he was doing good then had a vaccine reaction; very ataxic again. Took to the vet hospital where they tested for EPM via spinal tap and punctured his brain stem. At the same time one of my other horses had EPM diagnosed via spinal tap... treated with Marquis and is still alive but retired at age 13.

It sounds like it could be wobblers from possibly an injury since it came on so suddenly but the only way to tell is a Necropsy. EPM diagnosis is difficult without a spinal tap because each horses symptoms are different. Probably depending on where the parasite infests the spine. I have read about Lyme disease and West Nile which have similar symptoms as well.

Again I am so sorry for your loss and know you are not alone. Prayers to your family during these tough times.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    It depends. There have been reported cases of EPM in Canada, but only in Southern Canada, as far as I know. So, if you live in the Calgary area or further south, it is a definite possibility. Opposum's do exist in Southern Alberta and British Columbia.
    WE actually live not too far from you... lol... We are west of Edmonton about 60 miles.