The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Isabell Saddle - New Wintec or old Bates?

Hi everybody,

I've just contacted my saddler, and he cannot get me the New Bates Isabell model anytime soon. I need a saddle right now, so I really can't wait for him to have them available.

So the question is, which one do you prefer, the new Wintec or the old Bates model?

I am competing, and so I'm struggling with the idea of having a synthetic saddle... but above all, I need a good saddle that fits my mare and myself.

She is a big, BIG mover, so I need something that gives me a lot of support without restricting my legs

So the question is, which one do you prefer, the new Wintec or the old Bates model?
    Are you certain that both fit equally well - there have been rumblings that the new Wintecs fit differently ...

Well, I hope so... The thing is, I'm not entirely sure any model truly fits this horse as I couldn't try them on her.

I hope the gullet system makes them good enough

The gullet system will not make the saddle fit if the tree &/or panel shape is a poor fit for the horse.

Can you find an online shop or local tack shop that has demo Wintecs/Bates where you can actually ride in the saddle for 1-2 weeks? often 1 or 3 to 4 rides is fine, then horse begins to protest as the saddle doesn't really fit well & horse is becoming sore ...

Noup, here in Europe tack shops don't really offer test-tries on the saddles. So in order to try it, I'll have to buy it.

I don't mind losing a bit of money in case the saddle doesn't fit and I have to sell it.

I just want to know if, between the two models (old and new), one is better than the other.

Well, personally, I prefer the old Wintec/Bates saddles to their new ones.

They do fit differently (panel shape is different).

I really liked my old Wintec Isabell, but the tree was too straight for my horse so I couldn't continue riding in it.

I've had the Bates Innova too, which fit my horse awesome. But, I hated being locked in by those huge blocks.

I've sat in the new Bates/Wintecs in the shops and they just feel so bulky compared to the older models.

It's all personal preference though, and certainly what best fits your horse!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Noup, here in Europe tack shops don't really offer test-tries on the saddles. So in order to try it, I'll have to buy it.

I don't mind losing a bit of money in case the saddle doesn't fit and I have to sell it.
    This UK shop (arbitrary Google hit) will send saddles outside the UK - I don't know anything about the shop, but any experienced saddle fitter should be able to help you sort through the possible saddles to narrow the list down to a few that should fit.

There are also online consults possible - photos + wither/back tracings - & these would be rather less costly than re-selling a new saddle that doesn't fit.

he cannot get me the New Bates Isabell model anytime soon.
    Try this shop, Alan really knows his Wintec/Bates & would likely be able to sell you the model you want.

If you like the Bates Isabell, you probably won't like the Wintec Isabell - or at least, I don't. I love Bates Isabelle but hate Wintec with a passion.

There are lots of the new Bates Isabells available right now, check ebay, call Dover....you don't have to wait to get it through your saddle fitter.

I ride in the old wintec (2003) and the old bates (2007). I sat in the new bates in a store and found it to be slightly wider in the seat and slightly bulkier feeling than the old style. Client has the new bates and I plan on sitting in it soon.

That being said, I like the wintec....but it is very gripy, you will stick to the fabric. However, I like my bates better.