The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,423

    Default CL - Gelding a Chryptorchid Stud @ Home?!

    Oy vey...

    http://ithaca.craigslist.org/grd/3147344315.html

    I couldn't imagine even contemplating doing such an invasive procedure at home! YIKES!

    Is this even an option?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    I suppose you could if he was gentle and you had a clean piece of ground to do it on. I just had a cryptorchid colt gelded at a local vet's office. My regular vet wouldn't do it and recommended sending him to a surgery center. The surgery center wanted $850 to do it which was way more than what the colt was worth. I found a local vet that would do it at his office for $550. We hauled the colt to Dr. Bailey's, they did the surgery and Sam's recovery was uneventful. He even had less swelling and drainage than the colts that had normal castrations. Sam was on oral antibiotics for about a week after the surgery.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    It all depends on where the testes are located. And that needs to be discovered BEFORE you start cutting, which means you can't just drop the horse on a "clean piece of ground" & start fiddling around.

    I had my cryptorchid guy (that I bought at a sleazy meat-type auction) done at an equine hospital for $1,000, & I'm glad I did, as his retained testicle was way the hell up in God's country. I'm lucky it didn't end up costing me more. But he was/is a good guy, & worth every penny.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    I had a chryptorchid bunny neutered and it was basically an open abdominal exploratory surgery to find the retained testicle. I certainly wouldn't want to do that kind of procedure on a horse at home.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2010
    Location
    Texarkana, AR
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    According to the vet, Sam's retained testicle was "way up in God's country" too. I believe he said his arm was up to his elbow in the abdominal cavity looking for it. But there was no way I could afford, or justify, spending what a surgery center would cost for this horse. It was either the local vet, put him down or a truck to Mexico. I knew the local vet was risky but I decided that was the best option.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,075

    Default

    What's the drug that vets have used which sometimes makes the testicles drop? I know vets here have told me the name of the drug, but I forget it.

    No vets in SE GA that I know will geld a crypto at a barn. I'm sure there are others who have done it.

    At least the owner is going to try to have the colt gelded. A lot of people, including a BO here, are breeding those cryptos to mares of unsuspecting people.

    I always swore I'd never witness a gelding. So when I moved barns in early 2008, Cloudy was due for spring shots, and the BO was having her 7 or 8 yoa wb stud gelded. OK, so of course I ended up having to hold the leg, and he got up 2x. 2x. knuckling around the barnyard. Catherine the vet and I were saying words not allowed at the barn. 2nd time the horse got up, his 2nd testicle went flying up in the air, flipping over and over in slo mo like a cartoon. Except we were there. Another reason that will be my first and last presence at a gelding. I think all of them should be on the table in surgery.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    I've had two done in the field (father and son, long story involving a shady rent-a-nag stable, I didn't own them or have any part in letting daddy breed). Anyway, guy that owned them agreed to let me have them gelded but refused to pony up the dough to send them to a clinic. Found a vet that said he'd give it his best effort and if they would drop under sedation he'd cut them but if not he wasn't going to do it. Got super lucky and both did drop so they were cut. Guess they weren't too far up there.

    Both procedures took a little longer than a regular gelding but he ended up only charging regular price. I think he was just glad they were finally getting cut and happy to help out, that place was notorious. Both healed up just fine and moved on to better homes after their much-needed brain surgeries.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2009
    Location
    south eastern US
    Posts
    2,519

    Default

    If he's a yearling isn't it possible that waiting a little longer might take care of the problem? I don't think I'd worry too much until he's two or older.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2004
    Location
    Fingerlakes area NY
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I live just outside of Ithaca and took my colt (now gelding) to Cornell last summer to the tune of $1,600. Not sure any vets around here would attempt it on someone's farm. I have to give the owner a bit of credit for acknowledging the fact that it needs to be done.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    My guy didn't drop until 2.

    He was gelded at the vet but outside in a paddock. I watched. I thought it was pretty cool. But I don't get grossed out easy, not even when he tossed them to the dog waiting patiently.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3mares View Post
    I live just outside of Ithaca and took my colt (now gelding) to Cornell last summer to the tune of $1,600. Not sure any vets around here would attempt it on someone's farm. I have to give the owner a bit of credit for acknowledging the fact that it needs to be done.
    Yep, I do give the owner credit for that. The guy I knew that TWO of them had the attitude "well it will cost too much to get it done and they have spots, so I'll just let them breed the mares". Only reasons he gave me the go-ahead to have them gelded was because I found a vet willing to try there on his property, and he broke his hip getting thrown from the older one and wanted to "punish" him. Real class act, that guy was.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2004
    Location
    Fingerlakes area NY
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Yep, I do give the owner credit for that. The guy I knew that TWO of them had the attitude "well it will cost too much to get it done and they have spots, so I'll just let them breed the mares". Only reasons he gave me the go-ahead to have them gelded was because I found a vet willing to try there on his property, and he broke his hip getting thrown from the older one and wanted to "punish" him. Real class act, that guy was.
    wow - that vet was a good person. and lucky that both horses dropped enough so he could get them.
    Unfortunately I got my guy from a backyard breeder who had a stallion who was well known in the area (by the vets anyway) because many of his colts were crypts. He had a couple dozen foals every year and I was a sucker for a cute faced weanling that clearly needed a new home ; )
    So my $100 purchase turned out to be a little expensive.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3mares View Post
    So my $100 purchase turned out to be a little expensive.
    Don't they all though?



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2000
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Housemate's horse was done in our pasture. The vet said she would give it a try and it all turned out fine after a bit of reaching around inside.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    What's the drug that vets have used which sometimes makes the testicles drop? I know vets here have told me the name of the drug, but I forget it.

    No vets in SE GA that I know will geld a crypto at a barn. I'm sure there are others who have done it.

    At least the owner is going to try to have the colt gelded. A lot of people, including a BO here, are breeding those cryptos to mares of unsuspecting people.

    I always swore I'd never witness a gelding. So when I moved barns in early 2008, Cloudy was due for spring shots, and the BO was having her 7 or 8 yoa wb stud gelded. OK, so of course I ended up having to hold the leg, and he got up 2x. 2x. knuckling around the barnyard. Catherine the vet and I were saying words not allowed at the barn. 2nd time the horse got up, his 2nd testicle went flying up in the air, flipping over and over in slo mo like a cartoon. Except we were there. Another reason that will be my first and last presence at a gelding. I think all of them should be on the table in surgery.
    LOL, I've had 3 of mine gelded though all had normally located testicles. One of the vets said he usually does it in the presence of several giggling females. That was the one time the vet dropped the colt to geld him. The other two times the colt was sedated and pushed up against the stall wall. Some vets believe gravity makes things easier.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



Similar Threads

  1. thinking of gelding my 11year old stud, thoughts
    By my buddy's blue in forum Off Course
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Feb. 21, 2012, 03:31 PM
  2. QH gelding needs home in TN
    By equislover in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar. 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct. 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
  4. 8 yr old TB Gelding in TX needs home
    By America's Pride in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 25, 2009, 10:31 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2009, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness