The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scabby Elbows

My horse has always had kind of scabby/dry elbows. I'm not sure if it's the stall rest or the heat, but they have begun to crack and bleed. They don't seem to bother him, but look painful to me. Any suggestions on how to treat this? I've just been using my general heal all wound ointment but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Thanks!
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    My horse has always had kind of scabby/dry elbows. I'm not sure if it's the stall rest or the heat, but they have begun to crack and bleed. They don't seem to bother him, but look painful to me. Any suggestions on how to treat this? I've just been using my general heal all wound ointment but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Thanks!
    up your beds and mek them thicker and deeper with banked sides this prevents capped elbow capped hocks, hips hock and elbow sore also prevents a horse from getting cast

some yard think becuase they have mats that can go easy on the bedding and do just a bit for wee and pooh nope- this is what happens when a horse has lack of bedding in a stable

He has an insane amount of bedding in his stall. We are a competitive hunter jumper facility, so everyone has mats, thick shavings, and banked up sides. That can't be it, but thanks.

Anyone have any special remedies?
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Bag Balm his elbows. My geezer has chronic dry elbows, and it actually is worse in the summer, when he's frequently getting hose. Bag Balm helps keep them moisurized, while letting the water from the hosings roll off and prevent further issues.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Thanks! You're right, the stuff i'm using doesn't keep them dry while he's getting hosed off so that is probably why they're worse in the summer.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

You could also try some clear Swat especially if there's blood involved. Not sure where you are located but the bugs are killer here in VA. I hate summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Since they are getting worse, the first thing I would check is to see of he is actually lying down more which might indicate a health problem.

I've found the problem to be more common on horses kept in really clean, DRY stalls as the dry shavings pull moisture from the skin more easily in areas without an insulating fat layer like elbows and hocks. I have never had any success with a petroleum based product for this whether it is expensive panalog or generic 3 in 1 ointment. Any good ph neutral moisturizer should work well. But when the elbows start getting really rough, I like to use Bsctine antiseptic spray, with a cover layer once dry of Alu Spray to keep dirt out.

Is his hind foot touching his elbows when he lies down?