The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sound registered Half-Arab mare, Virginia

Rosie is a 15.1 hand registered Half-Arab mare, 21 years old and 100% sound, video (flat and jumping) on YouTube at http://youtu.be/dQvYlbCt1xc She had not been ridden for three weeks before the video was taken, and hadn’t been ridden since last fall before that.

Rosie is a quiet horse with three comfortable gaits who jumps small courses with ease and has been used to teach intermediate riders to jump. Good on trails (including water and traffic) in company, but she does not go out alone. Rosie would be a good match for a confident intermediate rider. She is not a difficult ride, but can get flustered. Rosie does not need to be ridden with any regularity to maintain her training and her quiet demeanor. She is the same horse if she hasn’t been ridden for a day, a week, or six months. Rosie likes people and is safe for children to handle. She is good to groom, bathe, and clip. She stand quietly for the vet and farrier. Current on all shots and Coggins. No vices. Successful broodmare -- had a healthy foal in 2001 who is now an all-around English pleasure horse for a teenager. Extremely easy keeper; no health problems; lives out w/mares and geldings 24/7; has been sound ridden barefoot for most of the last 12 years. Her elderly owner is ill and can no longer ride or care for her.
    Last edited by BHF-10; Aug. 9, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: corrected age

Bump for Miss Rosie!

FWIW, when I started re-riding 3 years ago after near a decade off, Rosie was my second ride in however many years and happily carted me around on the trails and in the arena, helping me to get my feel back. I jumped her over small stuff in and out of the arena and she never looked at it, and actually, she's really a good school marm. Not spooky, happy to tool along. She was out of work at the time.

She hasn't done much over the last 5 years or so, other than serving as the occasional friend horse.
    Last edited by EasternMkt; Aug. 13, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Another vote for Rosie--she is lots of fun, you'd never guess she was 21! Eastern Mkt had me out a few times to ride her a while back(thanks, EM!), Very rideable, nice gaits, happy to jump, and princess that she is, loves attention. The "flustered" stuff makes her sound much more difficult that she is, it's more that she gets a little Arab-y( not that I'm any great authority on the breed) and tosses her mane around, but she refocuses just fine when told to do so. Also, she may not do trails alone, but she is absolutely solid when out with others, not spooky, not looky, nada. She'd be a nice family horse.

Her owner is a lovely person, very sorry to hear she's not well. I know she'd love Rosie to find a great home

Rosie looks terrific!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I'm bumping for Miss Rosie again.

Her owner is also absolutely willing to do a free lease w/ Rosie returning home if she were outgrown or just wasn't working out. She's really pretty pushbutton over low fences and is easy to ride in the arena.

It's a bit of a shame for her to just sit since she really could be a useful mount.

She's adorable!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I sent this to a friend of mine in NoVA who had to retire her Arab due to lameness and is currently without a ride. If the owner is willing to do a free lease it might work out great! I'll have her contact you.

What a lovely girl! Friendly bump for Miss Rosie.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I know winter's a tough time to find homes for horses, but this one can live out all winter and doesn't even need hay except when it snows if you've got a little grass.

Rosie is still looking for her own person... or at least someone to come out and ride her from time to time. Still sound. Still sane. Could use a job!

I can't believe this lovely girl hasn't yet found a home.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.