The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default injectable glucosamine

I am going to start my horse on injectable glucosamine as per my vet. I have been getting mixed feelings and usage instructions from others that I am friends with that have also used this product. Looking for other opinions and your usage instructions. Thanks!

Works great on my two. Dr prescribed the same concentration as Adequan so they get 5 cc every couple of weeks or so--after a loading dose.

Very economical--and it seems to work. They are happy, I'm happy.

Friend uses it on her 2 horses. Seems to do well. They do the 5 cc every two weeks after the loading dose of weekly.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I use it on 6 of mine. I do 5 ccs every 3 weeks and boost that to 10ccs the week before a horse show. Which reminds me... I guess I need to do this today.

Default injectable/ oral

Hi Thanks for replies. So what are tohughts out there on oral joint supplements and what are the favorites?

my thoughts on the oral joint supplements? They don't work - in my experience. Tried them all. Injectables work - have been using injectable glucosamine for years with great results. Not quite AS great as Adequan - but much more budget friendly

I've been thinking of combining this with the Pentosan my boy already gets.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    I've been thinking of combining this with the Pentosan my boy already gets.
    Just out of curiousity, would you do this because the Pentosan isn't doing something and the glucosamine (by the way, I assume we're talking about acetyl-glucosamine here, right?) would address that? I'm coming at it from the other side - doing the glucosamine and thinking about adding the pentosan.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, by the way. Just curious.
    "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Are you guys talking about a generic glucosamine?

Quote Originally Posted by ljc View Post
    Just out of curiousity, would you do this because the Pentosan isn't doing something and the glucosamine (by the way, I assume we're talking about acetyl-glucosamine here, right?) would address that? I'm coming at it from the other side - doing the glucosamine and thinking about adding the pentosan.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, by the way. Just curious.
    Yes... maybe just to give it more kick... I think PentAussie has glucosamine in it. It's cheap enough so I thought I might give it a try.

Yes Tracy... it's just injectable glucosamine.

Yes... maybe just to give it more kick... I think PentAussie has glucosamine in it. It's cheap enough so I thought I might give it a try.

Yes Tracy... it's just injectable glucosamine.
    But I mean is this is a generic, not a name brand? Sorry - for some reason this confuses the crap outta me. *blush*

I guess it would be generic... I'm sure not all glucosamine is created equal. I think my vet just gets it from Wedgewood or Wycliffe.

I guess it would be generic... I'm sure not all glucosamine is created equal. I think my vet just gets it from Wedgewood or Wycliffe.
    No, glucosamine is NOT created equal. The chemistry may be exactly the same, but it is the MOLECULAR WEIGHT that determines efficacy and availability in various tissues etc. Generally, what you all call "generic" is a low weight molecule that is associated with skin and low quality Type I cartilage etc. Not what is necessary for TYPE II hyaline cartilage in joints.

Again, read the paper in my previous post.

RAyers... could you please explain in laymans terms? Just a rough outline? I would have to read that paper over and over(and over and over ) for it to make sense to me. I would be super thankful

1 members found this post helpful.

All this stuff depends on the condition the horse actually has. That's why sometimes it works and other times it does not so it does serve you best to let your vet guide you in supplements and meds after a proper diagnosis. The experience of others is not much of a help unless you know the specific condition of their horses.

With mine, I found the oral LubriSyn and Hyalauronex both worked as well as the injectable Legend. But those were the ONLY orals that did anything-and I tried a bunch of them over the years I managed her condition (OCD hocks) and aging from 10 to 20 as an active show Hunter. NSAIDS too but only as needed and she went with nothing whenever feasible and at home for most of those years.

You also have to keep in mind there are many other things you have to do besides supplement/medicate joint conditions. Things like footing, shoeing, work load factor in as well.

Anyway, it is kind of hard to compare experiences unless everything else is equal...and that's really pretty rare.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

RAyers... could you please explain in laymans terms? Just a rough outline? I would have to read that paper over and over(and over and over ) for it to make sense to me. I would be super thankful
    Whew. I thought it was just me .

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Whew. I thought it was just me .
    LOL! I start reading that stuff and it just doesn't compute

There are hundreds of different forms of structural sugars in our bodies. Glucosamine is one. However the term, glucosamine denotes a single chemistry of a sugar ring. Proteins and structural sugars as found in cartilage, bone, skin, mucus, etc. are long chains of these components. The body recognizes MORE than CHEMISTRY. It recognizes 3-DIMENSIONAL STRUCTURE. So the SIZE of the chain has a BIG effect on biologic activity and efficacy.

As we add more and more rings (like adding links to a chain), the molecular weight increases which significantly impacts how the molecule acts. For example the "generic" glucosamine folks talk about such as MAPP-5 of ICHON are really only effective in the skin as they are small chains. The sugar you put on cereal is a very short chain to which our nerves have adapted to sense (why it tastes sweet).

Heavy molecules are effective in cartilage (but there are numerous types of cartilage in the body). Adequan is a polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (it has glucosamine bound with proteins to make it look like what REALLY is in joint cartilage). Compared to Pentosan and others, it is a HEAVY molecule.

I help teach the joint cartilage biology review course for board certification. Even the orthopaedic surgeons I work with can't grasp all that is going on and wonder why sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't. So it is not surprising that vets are even less sure about what works and what doesn't given they have an even larger knowledge base to maintain.

2 members found this post helpful.

So, Reed, what do you recommend? I tried reading the report also but am too ignorant to come to a conclusion other than that most oral supplements are not effective. What is most effective as far as injecting hocks is concerned? Should an older horse be administered regular doses of Adequan? And, if so, loading doses and then once a month or every 6 wks or what? I want to do best by my horse but am all at sea.