The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default skinny horse ad....how to proceed?

So I was casually looking through cl ads, and emailed the person about a pony. When I received an email back with a picture, the pony is really skinny. Like super skinny.

I don't know how to proceed. I can potentially step in, but I really don't want to pay $500 to have to rehab a horse. I don't want to wait too long to email back either. What do I say when I respond?

If you want I can pm the ad and photo.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Jul. 18, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Decide how much you would be willing to pay and make an offer.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

That's the thing- how do you sort of persuade them to just give the poor thing away without scaring them off?

You could call animal control and ask if they could go investigate.

I second what Kwill says

If you want to get the pony, calling AC isn't going to accomplish that. I would just contact them and simply say that the pony is thin, needs groceries and time before you can use him, and lower your price to what you are willing to pay.

I'd throw them a number. Most of the time if the horse is that cheap they are trying to unload for it for various reasons but usually because they can't afford it. Throw them a number say 200 and tell them that cash in hand tomorrow. If they don't want to maybe go up a little but really if you really want him you may have to pay closer to the 500. Maybe 400 who knows but I'd just make an offer. I wouldn't say much about needing groceries because they probably already know this and know they can't afford said horse or they maybe oblivious to the fact and think it's in shape and you may insult them. You never know with some crazies
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Well, so far, I have at least put in a call to the SPCA to just get some advice. Ours typically does not deal with livestock (from an experience I had years ago) but that may have changed. Either way, I figured it couldn't hurt.

In the meantime, I emailed her back, asking some broad questions.

Might take a trip out (with some backup) and just look at him.

Would I rather the SPCA seize? Yes. If they don't? Well, then I guess I need to 1. figure out if she's willing to part with him for less and 2. make a decision.

He is freaking adorable, I have to say.

I'd like to see him if you wanna send to me pm. Also call the dept of ag in your state. Ac and humane societies usually don't so much for horses. At least not here in my area
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Frankly, I tend to think a horse for $500 would be very, very negotiable to a good home. I would see the horse, explain that he's underweight and that you'd like to take care of him and don't want to see him go to slaughter. Chances are they'll work with you.

(Disclaimer: I live in a pricey area and the asking price is only a couple weeks' board. I may not be a very good judge because here this would virtually be a giveaway.)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I don't like to see skinny horses. But it does bother me a little bit that you are considering calling the SPCA (or have called) about an animal you haven't seen in person and on people with whom you haven't had a personal conversation.

I'm assuming there isn't tons of information about the animal in the ad (I know I could be wrong). Please consider the possibilities, though, and make sure you have checked things out before opening that particular can of worms...Have these folks owned the pony very long and is it in better shape than when they got it? Has the pony been ill? Have the owners legitimately fallen on hard times and have they been trying to place or sell the pony with no luck?

All food for thought. Good luck getting the pony.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I understand where you are coming from, and so far, I've left a message with them, and given out no identifying information. I understand where you are coming from, though. I more or less just wanted to get some advice from them, and see what, if anything, they can do to look into it. At least be able to know if this person doesn't budge on price, and he's truly in a bad spot, whether it's worth working with them to remove him, or just suck it up and do whatever to get him outta there.

I'm hoping that the owner will email me back, and we can arrange a time that I can pop out and see for myself. I asked some very broad questions that will either explain why he's thin, or confirm that he's thin for no good reason.

I'm not trying to take the person down right off the bat, surely there could a plausible explanation, but if there is, a little disclaimer might have been helpful.

Maybe they're trying to sell it because that's their way of getting help for it. I wouldn't call the SPCA unless I saw it for myself and saw that they really are neglecting it.

I've asked for a pony in bad shape before and it was given to me. It can't hurt to ask but if they say no, throw them a number and do as the others have suggested, explaining that the pony needs some groceries, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I don't like to see skinny horses. But it does bother me a little bit that you are considering calling the SPCA (or have called) about an animal you haven't seen in person and on people with whom you haven't had a personal conversation.
    She's not talking about putting a contract out on the owner, just alerting the authorities that there appears to be an animal in dire need of HELP.

Well no answer so far.

How long do I give it? Its been a day since I emailed her the follow up.
    No word back from the humane society, either, btw. Which, judging by the responses, might be an ok thing at this point.

I was able to find her #, but I'm not sure if calling is appropriate, since she did not give me her number personally. She just happens to have a very open facebook page. ;-)
    Last edited by spacytracy; Jul. 17, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

So, still no response. I sent a follow up email this morning, with a " wasn't sure my email went through, but we'd love to come see him" kind of thing.
    Not sure what else I can do at this point. I have her address, again, googling. But showing up unannounced at a strangers house uninvited is not really my thing.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm hoping this means he's found a nice home. I don't know whether to MYOB at this point.

I think you've done all you can do.

Yea, you might be right. Here's to hoping someone else snatched him up and is giving him the love he needs.

You should find out first why the pony is skinny before jumping to conclusions and calling the authorities.

Do not show up uninvited- I just posted a thread on how a man did this to me and I was not happy. I told him I would call the police if he did it again. I think if you call her you might freak her out, so don't stalk her. If someone did this to me I would start to avoid them. The man that showed up at my house is NOT getting a call back from me. Also, if the SPCA has contacted her, she may not be willing to offer the pony for sale to the public again in fear that she might get turned in.

I know of someone who calls AC on a regular basis. She drives by the cow farm once a day and never sees hay out there, so to her the cows never get fed even though they are fat. Well if she drives by at 1pm and the cows get fed at 5am and 5pm then she will never see hay out there. She still called AC on them.

I'm not saying to MYOB, but don't get stalkish, this turns people off. I have a skinny gelding here at my house. He is skinny because he came to me that way and he hasn't put on all his weight yet. Maybe this is the same with the pony?