The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you wish someone told you?

Help. I wa uncerimoniously dragged, kicking and screaming out of hunterland and into a hunter pace. Then my friend decided since that went well, that we should do an event (my horse has event training, im just coasting). Well the bug bit. Im sunk. I dont know how i found endless, calm, line diagonal line diagonal courses ina ring sustaining. Now i crave a strong gallop in a field accompanied by a shoulder in. I guess im stuck. (which isnt a bad thing... ;D )
    Anyways, what do you wish you knew before you started eventing? Thanks! PS, you guys have WAY to much fun

1.that you actually can get stadium time faults First event ever, I took the lovely hunter route, nice round corners, made the most of the ring.....etc etc. OOOPS.....time faults!

2. If you practice dressage.......it will get better! Somehow avoiding it does not = a score below 30....who knew?

3.The more you walk your courses........the smaller the fences become

HAVE FUN!!!!

Haha, thank you, i will keep that in mind

To ride a horse on the bit....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

That you don't have to walk right up to the ditch/trakehner/maximum oxer [insert scary fence here] - or if you do, you only have to do it once. It will look smaller when you are approaching it on course!

Also... wait for the bell in dressage - and if you hear a bell go off during your test (if there are multiple rings), keep going unless the judge makes you stop. It's no fun screwing up your test because the bell from the ring beside you was rung!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Default a sound horse at the end of the day

As long as your horse is sound at the end of the day, you don't really have anything to be unhappy about.

just stuff to work on.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Horses don't always stay sound for years and years. That was my lifelong experience until about the last 2 years . . . now I can't seem to keep any of them foursquare for more than a few months at a time!
    Click here before you buy.

Warm-up fences are flagged with the red and white flags. Do NOT jump them "backwards"!

Welcome to the "dark side"! Many of us wandered here from h/j land, so you are in good company
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Exclamation help!

find someone to help at events; there are situations which, require two hands! find a horse holderalso find someone to set jumps for you when schooling; it's easier on your horse as well as on you!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmuncher123 View Post
    Help. I wa uncerimoniously dragged, kicking and screaming out of hunterland and into a hunter pace. Then my friend decided since that went well, that we should do an event (my horse has event training, im just coasting). Well the bug bit. Im sunk. I dont know how i found endless, calm, line diagonal line diagonal courses ina ring sustaining. Now i crave a strong gallop in a field accompanied by a shoulder in. I guess im stuck. (which isnt a bad thing... ;D )

Welcome to the dark side

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    As long as your horse is sound at the end of the day, you don't really have anything to be unhappy about.

just stuff to work on.
    This
    x100

add - sound rider and a sound horse
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

You don't need a trainer watching your every move.
    If you have a start time, that's the time you need to be in the ring.
    There are lots of friendly people who will hold your horse, leg you up, tell you the bogey fences, wish you luck - do the same for them.
    Smile.

Thank you! Im very exited about this new adventure. and thanks for the tips and advice, everything is good to know or be reminded of.

* Always give yourself more time than you'll think you'll need.
    * It's never a mistake to walk your course one more time (unless it's going to interfere with the above).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    * Always give yourself more time than you'll think you'll need.
    * It's never a mistake to walk your course one more time (unless it's going to interfere with the above).
    I think I need these tatooed on my arm!!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

..to check the omnibus several times to make sure you are doing the right dressage test!!!!!!!!

Always give yourself at least 20 minutes more time than you think you will need. Unlike in h/j land, you can't change around your start times at the last minute.

Never try to go to an event by yourself or with someone who can't handle helping you with your horse. It's nearly impossible to do an event by yourself.

Expect to travel for shows a lot more than you used to, but also take full advantage of any non-rated local ht's/ct's. These are great for schooling and building confidence.

Do not be afraid of a less than "perfect" distance to a jump...especially in stadium. You may find that riding your horse to a shorter distance decreases his likelihood to knock a pole. While it may not look as pretty, at the end of the day, fewer faults = better outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmuncher123 View Post
    Anyways, what do you wish you knew before you started eventing? Thanks!
    You can use the ice that's keeping your beer cold to soak your horse's feet after XC.

being nervous and even a bit fearful is good! Also, beer puke doesn't stain a bay. Just lean farther out in the gallops between fences.

Drinking after XC is allowable, no matter the time of day. My record is 8:15am after an awesome 8am prelim go.

I will contradict PrinceSheik325 and say go by yourself! I started that way and met so many good people. I have run up to a CIC** by myself.

Your role, unlike what is encouraged in the h/j world, is to be your horse's advocate. I have argued with my trainer in a pouring rain in the schooling area about riding. If you are not ready nor confident, DON'T. You are your horse's voice.

[QUOTE=Never try to go to an event by yourself or with someone who can't handle helping you with your horse. It's nearly impossible to do an event by yourself.
    QUOTE]

It's definitely possible to do an event on your own, just a little harder. Besides, you will make eventer friends who can help you if you really need it.

When I first started out, I wish someone had told me...

closest to optimum time on XC breaks a tie

always check out where the start and finish flags are, because they aren't always placed in a logical way

read the rulebook, there are many many many more ways to get the big E than you might think!

Have fun and welcome!
    Last edited by Carried Away; Jul. 16, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: content