The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seedy Toe - deal breaker?

I'm looking at a really nice hunter prospect - 3 yrs old with seedy toe in multiple feet. The farrier has cut out little triangles at the toes, otherwise foot looks good. Apparently they've been on this for a year and am told it's growing out nicely, is only in the toe and hasn't progressed and shouldn't be a problem in the future. Anyone have experience with this? Will this be a chronic or hard to maintain condition? What about turnout in spring with mud and wet conditions during the year where it's impossible to find a dry paddock? Will this be an issue or affect his soundness or future use? I really like the horse but am wondering if this is a serious risk and would love to hear other experiences. Thanks!

Seedy toe is really a symptom of a problem. And not the problem itself. So the question is why does the horse have seedy toe to begin with?

A whole year is a long time to be fighting seedy toe.

I dealt with it in one of my geldings. The farrier notched his hooves and I would appy sav-a-hoof (I believe that is what it was) and never had any problems. It did get better with that course of treatment.

It would not be a deal breaker for me if I really liked the horse.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

I'm not familiar with the term "seedy toe", can someone explain it to me? Does it have another name I might recognize? Sorry to hijack the thread OP, I happened to see your post in the h/j forum and was interested.....

Some expert will chime in, but I think it's white line disease.
    http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=3177

Quote Originally Posted by Headoverheels View Post
    Apparently they've been on this for a year and am told it's growing out nicely, is only in the toe and hasn't progressed and shouldn't be a problem in the future.
    What exactly does this mean?

Has it been in the toe and only the toe for a year? If so, that's either really poor management, or something very wrong with the foot.

Did it develop a year ago, snuck up, got all up in to the foot, and has now grown out such that the bacteria are all gone and the remnants of the diseased tissue are finally down at the toe and growing out? Much better situation.

Is it REALLY seedy toe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Some expert will chime in, but I think it's white line disease.
    http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=3177
    Seedy toe and line line disease mean 2 different things to me.

Seedy toe commonly occurs in when too much toe is left and the the hoof is imbalanced leaving too much stress at the toe.

This link explains it pretty good...

http://www.keithseeley.com/category/...seedy-toe-trim
    Last year during all the flooding here the heels on some of our heavier stock types crushed some. Toes wanted to grow longer and seedy toe was a battle in a couple horses. But like any other less than perfect conditions we managed those horses and when the spring floods drier up no more issues.

Def not something I had to fight for a year. So why has this been an on going battle for a year for this horse? That is the million dollar question.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    Seedy toe and line line disease mean 2 different things to me.
    And to me too.

Briefly, for me, Seedy Toe indicates a disinterdigitation of the laminae and a resulting infection, bost generally, bacterial, in that area.

White Line Disease otoh, is an attack by keratolytic pathogens, usually fungii but often with secondary bacterial pathogens present, at the junction between the epidermal laminae and the unpigmented stratum medium. It is not a disease of the stratum internum/lamellatum per se. In fact, the use of the term 'disease' in this instance is considered by some to be a misnomer.

Regardless, in and of itself, it should not be a deal breaker. That said, it needs to be correctly identified and at this point, radiographs taken to better determine what is going on inside the hoof capsule(s). The management program, to date, must be evaluated, including hoof care, diet, general health, etc.

Maybe, maybe not. But the price would have to reflect the problem and I would need an actual diagnosis and a treatment protocol from vet and farrier. Not the sellers best guess and hope for the best.

Depending on what is actually wrong, it could be awhile and some $$$$. Or it could be fine in a few months. You have to know which before you bring it home. There will be some management challenges, if it really is chronic white line, it could indicate a more serious problem and going out in the mud would be out of the question unless and until it was completely cleared up.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks everyone. Had a farrier out who specializes in hoof problems and said he wasn't worried about this at all, that it was just in the toe, not white line disease and is growing out nicely despite that this has been going on for awhile. In his experience, he said he wouldn't let the feet deter him from purchasing the horse (and apparently he's the "go to guy" who's seen and done it all) So, based on his opinion am going to get the vet out and will go from there. I would be lying to say I'm not nervous, but of course just happen to really like this horse and just hope I'm not making a huge mistake...