The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broward County, FL

A friend might be moving to Broward county.... any recommendations as to barns (her guy needs night turnout) and/or trainers/instructors?
    She does NOT want to go to Wellington.

Thanks for any info. I know it's no longer a big horsey area. (I grew up there, with horses, but are far away from the insanity in Ocala now!)

L

I board in Plantation Acres, which is West Broward. It is one of the only decent equestrian areas left in this county.

My barn is Signature Stables. http://signaturestables.us/Signature...s/Welcome.html

It is 25 stalls on 5 acres, has a small dressage lit arena, and 10 paddocks. Matted stalls, fans in each stall and in the aisle ways. Another arena is about to be built in the back, which will be much larger. The barn is double center isle, with two 12x12 tackrooms. Horses get turned out for a minimum of 2 hours everyday (I know not a lot compared to up north, but we have the most consistent turnout of any barn down here. Most barns turn out 2-3 days a week, on dirt paddocks) on grass paddocks, which is rare down here. If your horse needs additional turnout, they will give that as well. They really accommodate you. (When my baby horse got shipped down he was turned out for 6-8 hours a day). BO will give whatever food you want, and choice of Timothy or O/A mix unless you request something different.
    Very attentive owners, they live on the property as well as her parents, so there is always someone there. This is the first barn I have ever felt comfortable going on vacation because I know my horses are always taken care of. If there is a problem with your horse, you will be called right away.

There is a 3 acre field owned by the county literally across the street from our barn, and you can ride on that as you please. You can also take a 10 minute trail ride up the street and you are at the brand new Plantation showgrounds, which has 4 HUGE arenas you can use whenever you want, and some wooded trails within it.

This is one of the only barns I would recommend. There are a few amazing hunter/jumper barns a bit further south, but since this is the dressage forum, I suspect that is not what you want. PM me and I will tell you about the "dressage" barns in our area. Our barn is a mix of hunters, pleasure, arabian show horses, and a couple of dressage riders.

The only resident trainer we have at the moment is a hunter trainer who also judges all over the country and at WEF, but you are more then welcome to bring in any outside trainer that you please. I have not had a lesson since I moved down here, since I was in law school and didn't have the time I used to have to ride, and my mare is 22 and knows her stuff , and my other horse is 2 so he just gets to play all day.

I know there are a few dressage trainers that will come down from Wellington, I don't recall them at the moment, but I have a list complied somewhere which I have ready for when my boy is old enough! I can find it and report back.

We really are a family here, we have BBQ's and parties every few months, and all the boarder's genuinely enjoy each others company. And, we are the most reasonably priced barn in this area, and have the best care
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Thanks, Samantha. I'll pass this on to my friend. (If she does bring here horse south, and winds up at your barn, you'll like her!)
    L

Great
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers