The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Small brag for my Dressage Quarter Horse

My 9 year old AQHA mare has been doing Dressage for about 10 months now. We started her training because she was a truly lovely mover. I have a young lady from our barn who rides her and trains her with help from a much higher level trainer in the area. Despite some very stiff competition here at Dressage at Lexington she actually came in Second place!!!! There were 10 others horses! We even managed a 65% which will allow us to attend the Championships. We are so excited about her success since we were not really expecting her to do this well since she was obviously not bred for it. We do realize she may be limited on how far she can go, but the journey is making her one HECK of a horse! Thanks for listening!

Sorry...forgot to mention she is at Training level. We have 2 more classes today and one tomorrow.

Well done! I'm always happy to hear about regular horses that excel in dressage. Keep on truckin'.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Excellent! A 65 is a great score in any test, and you're in such a competitive area. Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your classes
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

As an aside, I rode in college with an eventer turned dressage rider. The only warmblood in the barn was her then-yearling WB. The horses were all QH, draft, App, grade mixes, with a couple TBs for spice They ALL did a decent 1st L test, and many were well-schooled in more collected movements. And most could pack you around at least a novice event course. All due to the up and coming BNT, who bought horses on conformation and temperament suitable for a university lesson barn. All shapes and sizes, all able to teach basic dressage.

That trainer ended up taking her baby WB to 1st alternate in the Olympics

Good training is good training, no matter the breed.

Congratulations! A good horse is a good horse (this comes from someone with an Appy, a draft cross, and a couple of Haflingers ). I love to hear when someone bucks the system and shows an "off breed". A 65% is a great score, keep up the good work!

Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Congratulations! Pictures please!! What are her bloodlines? I compete in the eventing world with a foundation QH, & although his gaits are rather earthbound, I love his work ethic & relaxed attitude.

Congrats, WTG the 'off' breeds
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Congrats!! She sounds fabulous! Would love to see pics!

I took my qh to a schooling show ages ago when she was about 4 and barely broke.

They forgot to put the white bar back up after we went in and we were doing our test trotting by and my girl ducked out of the ring, LOL. We were dq'd, but it was funny. The lady in charge of the bar felt bad, but it wasn't any big deal, we were just there for fun anyway.

Mine would be Appendix QH if he were registered (but since he's not, he's a TBxQH) and we are working pretty solid on Second level and some higher stuff. I'm just going to keep on working to improve everything and see how far we go. Love my boy!

Congratulations, and well done!

Thanks! She just completed her Training level 2 and scored 67.85!!! Even better then yesterday. No places out yet. This class is huge, so not holding my breath.

She is Sky Blue Frost out of sire Sky Blue Walker x Petes Eternal Frost. She is 16'2. Her sire was bred for HUS, but haven't found much on her dam. She does have TB a few generations back.

Sorry no pictures to upload yet. We will get some today for sure! I get owner/mommy nerves and don't get them taken.

A 16'2 quarterhorse! I've GOT to see the pictures.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    A 16'2 quarterhorse! I've GOT to see the pictures.

Paula
    Actually, 16.2 isn't that unusual for a QH bred to show hunters at AQHA shows. Often they are appendix & get their height from a tall TB mother, but this particular mare is out of a very foundation-bred QH, from what I can tell.

Her sire is a big-time QH hunter-under-saddle sire & is tall.

Congratulations - I think the HUS & the reiners & cowhorses make the best dressage QHs & her bloodlines combine those disciplines.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I've learned something new about QHs. The ones I've been around have been about 15'3.

Very cool!

Paula

She got 3rd place with her 67.85, and she scored a 69.2% for her last class at training level test 3. She actually got second place with this last one. I honestly cannot believe it. I have been actually been wondering if I had completely lost my mind (and wallet) bringing her to recognized USDF shows and going up against "real" dressage horses.

Another interesting fact: we bought her cheap at a AQHA horse auction...bad horse economy, girl going to college, blah, blah

And another: I didn't even really know what Dressage was other than that rather untouchable Olympic sport that we see every 4 years. Thanks for the education Blue. We are enjoying it and now the whole family is learning.

Blue's a superstar! We're so proud of her!

Bluegirl, now we MUST HAVE PHOTOS OF BLUE! Congrats to your team!

Congrats!!!

Yep I showed a 17.2 foundation qh no tb. Ole poco bueno lines lol!!!

We also showed dressage I know we did 65+

Love the blue bred horses congrats again!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Default Congrats!

Oh, I so missed NOT being at DAL this year... so glad you had such a wonderful experience!
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

Congrats!! Those are some great scores!

My reg'd QH was 16.1 - running lines. He's the horse that got me started in dressage too!