The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Registry options for a tb/welsh pony and some other hunter pony ?'s!

I have a pony foal coming next year.

This is my first venture into ponies and was wondering if there is a registry for a half welsh and what it involves to get registered.

My mare is jockey club registered and a premium old na mare.

If I decide to sell the foal down the line, will it matter if it is registered?

I am on the west coast and there are almost no pony breeding classes, so can I show the pony in the regular hb classes for experience?

Another question out of curiosity, on the east coast where the pony hb is much bigger, do many owners/trainers breed most of what they show or do they buy?

And of the hb ponies, do most just go into the breeding shed or move on to performance careers. ( I am sure this is about the same debate everyone has about regular hb horses?)

My Welsh/TB pony is regisutred 1/2 Welsh thru the Welsh Pony and Cob Association. Really easy

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    This is my first venture into ponies and was wondering if there is a registry for a half welsh and what it involves to get registered.
    If the sire is a purebred Welsh and registered with the Welsh Pony & Cob Society of America, you are eligible to get Half Welsh papers through them. Make sure the Stallion Owner is a current member, sends in their yearly Stallion Service Reports and sends you a Stallion Service Certificate.

FYI, the WPCSA just opened up a Partbred Welsh Registry book...so if the sire is registered Half Welsh through them, you can also now get Partbred papers for the foal.

California has Pony Hunter Breeding classes, as does Arizona...and I know of at least one or two in Washington.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

In Arizona?

I saw a few pony hb in northern California, but that is over a 12 hour drive from where I live in Arizona.

Where is the pony hb in an? Cause I will go!

Our Section B Welsh pony hunter stallion, Alvesta Picasso, had a baby born in Arizona last year who won a year-end award for hunter breeding in Arizona. The owner took her to a bunch of AHJA shows in the Tucson area. The filly is out of a small junior hunter mare, so she's definitely going to stay pony size. You'd have to ask the owner, but I think they just popped her in the Hunter Breeding division at the Tucson shows and show organizers were OK with that.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Original Poster

Oh, ok. They do have some tucson shows in the fall.

I will take a look!

To answer your question about whether or not it matters to buyers that the foal is registered, that really depends on where you are marketing or who is looking at the foal. Honestly it seems in the hunter market that it is not as important, but the way I feel about it is-why narrow your market? If my pony is eligible for registry, I feel it is of value to have it registered even just for the fact of parental varification. My foals are registered with the WPCSA half or purebred registries and with the USEF. Additionally, the WPCSA is now creating some really exciting programs for people who show in open shows or venues other than breed shows, which I think is fantastic. There is now also a Partbred registry. Welcome to the world of pony breeding! There is nothing quite like a pony baby .

Original Poster

Thanks!

I am excited! My mare is very petite and I think will produce a beautiful pony foal. Plus the pony stallion is super blingy, so I am excited to see the markings!

Her other foals are by a 17 hand dutch stallion and will be very big, so I am excited to have a little one to train!

(I have a 3 month old now I can't even budge if I tried!)

So I looked up the WPCSA and from what I can see you would have to pay a membership fee, a registry fee and send in the breeders certificate and since the stallion is the welsh pony and my mare is a tb, I would have to get the foal dna tested and that kit is $40.

Is that the rundown?

Yes I think that is it but if you call the registry they can answer all your questions. I think you are doing the right thing and the cost isn't too bad when done within the first 6 months.
    Who is the foal by?

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post

So I looked up the WPCSA and from what I can see you would have to pay a membership fee, a registry fee and send in the breeders certificate and since the stallion is the welsh pony and my mare is a tb, I would have to get the foal dna tested and that kit is $40.

Is that the rundown?
    as I recall,

only one person needs to be a member (either stallion or mare owner) to get the member fee

the registration is pretty small before a year old.

the breeders certificate does not cost money to send in.

there is no need to DNA test exactly but mane samples are pulled and kept should there be questions later.I did not know they cared about partbreds anyway as far as DNA.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Tamara, I have a half-welsh gelding here, and I think I recall sending in his hair sample but that was 4 years ago so who knows!! I can barely remember what I did yesterday! lol

yes we have to send them in and they keep them in the envelopes in the files with the pony

but I meant, unless there is a chance that the purebreds be "contaminated" ;>, no one is going to demand that some half warm
    blood pony be tested for funny business...

and the hair samples are only used in times of "funny business"

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

If your foal is/was conceived via AI, then yes, you will need a hair sample to do a DNA test and make sure that the listed sire is correct.

As Daventry mentioned, the owner of the stallion would need to file a stallion service report by the end of the year, listing your mare on the report.

The stallion owner would need to send you a breeding certificate. Some will send it when your mares is bred -- and some are like me, and wait for the mare owner to request it so I don't have to send 10 of them when they get lost.

Once your foal is born (and you can see the markings), then you will take a picture of all four sides, clearly showing markings. You will fill out both sides of the registration application (which can be found at http://www.welshpony.org/forms.php) and send the photos and application in. The link to the hair collection kit is right there at the link above, so you can pull your hair sample and send it in with your initial registration.

If you are a member, it is only $40 to register your foal, if it is done before 6 months of age. DNA testing is extra.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Original Poster

Ok. Sounds good.

I think will defiantly register the foal.

The stallion is a new sec a welsh by pendocks larkspur.

Heavenly's Final Revelation. He is adorable and a hunter type grey stallion. 11.2 hands of fancy!

Can't wait! My mare is a very daisy cutter mover and petite, so I am excited to see what the foal looks like!

April hurry up!

Then I have to think of a really cute pony name.

It is a lot cheaper to register a half welsh then an old na foal!

I won't register my Dutch foal this year because it would be over $500!

Larkspur was a wonderful pony and his son is stunning. Great choice, I look forward to seeing the result.

Original Poster

Me too! I am excited.