The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default Looking for Stallion for Eventer prospect

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have been looking into Tamarack Hill's Formula One. http://www.tamarackhill.com/Stallions/F1.htm
    I have been trying to look into some offspring of him as much as possible, so far I am hearing all great things!
    He seems about perfect for my mare, but I do want to get some more options before I make a decision (which wont be made til next spring anyway)

    Here is a pic of my mare, Cher (sorry this is the only pic I have of her atm)
    She is Half Morgan, half Arabian. She is the most agile and talented jumper I have ever ridden!! My trainer at the time, when I was going Beg. Novice with her made a bet that she could make it to Preliminary level.
    She is 15hh. She has an amazing mind and loves to work.
    Her only flaw is that she is extremely high energy, (well, duh :P) and tends to bolt to/after fences

    The kind of stallion I am looking for is one that can balance out her high energy, and is really level headed, As well as agile

    I am a complete newbie when it comes to breeding (I'll have plenty of help from vets and trainers when the time comes)
    But I would love some input on the matter

    Thanks in Advance!
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2007
    Posts
    1,828



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    If you want agile, intelligent and level-headed, you might consider the Akhal-Teke stallion Super Star. (scroll down to see him)

    His type is similar to your mare's, and breeding like to like is never a bad idea.

    I have a 7 year-old mare by Super Star out of my TB mare. You can see her here. She's just started competing in eventing but she will be a UL horse soon enough. She's a blast to ride and a great personality to have in the barn.

    Super Star passes on a great gallop, proper dressage movement, a big jump and intelligence. I have said many times on this forum that I believe he's one of the best stallions for eventing standing in the US.

    I know it's a bit odd breeding to an Akhal-Teke but this is an outstanding stallion who has and passes on all the right qualities for a good event horse.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default

    wow... I am really loving that second link, Bridon Beal Street!

    Also looking into Super Star!
    (btw, JER your mare is beautiful!!!!)
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    383



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2002
    Location
    Alamo, CA USA
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Gauguin du Cheval

    www.teamgauguin.com

    Early season breeding discounts available.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by equusaround View Post
    Gauguin du Cheval

    www.teamgauguin.com

    Early season breeding discounts available.
    I tried your link on two different computers and I couldn't get it to work
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Love the Trakehner stallion Horalas*Pg* for producing level headed offspring.

    Also, for an athletic eventer, consider Sea Lion!
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

    Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 28, 2003
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    I'm sorry (and I know I'm gonna get flamed) but with the huge numbers of unwanted horses out there I would seriously consider NOT breeding a 1/2 morgan 1/2 arabian for an eventing career.

    Your choice, your right to do so - but please consider the plight of unwanted horses as well.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2007
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    http://www.valhallatrakehner.com/stall.htm

    They have some nice ones down the page
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    I'm sorry (and I know I'm gonna get flamed) but with the huge numbers of unwanted horses out there I would seriously consider NOT breeding a 1/2 morgan 1/2 arabian for an eventing career.

    Your choice, your right to do so - but please consider the plight of unwanted horses as well.
    Thanks for your concern, and I understand that a Morab does not seem ideal for an eventing career but this mare has proven herself as a talented horse.

    You never know what kind of horse you can get. I mean Theodore O'Connor had shetland and Arabian in him and they still decided to breed the mare :P

    Anyway, I have thought about this thoroughly and I think she will be fine at producing a nice baby.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    This thread is threatening to turn into the all-too-familiar pattern of stallion connections recommending their stallions, which are often unproven at (1) producing eventing types out of mares like the OP's, (2) producing eventing types at all and (3) producing foals, period.

    Sea Lion, for example, is an attractive stallion who events at Advanced but has zero foals on the ground. It is hard to know what a stallion produces when he hasn't produced anything yet. There's nothing wrong with that, and he looks like he has a bright future, but it's not the optimal scenario when you're breeding for the first time. (It's different for an experienced breeder with a proven broodmare.)

    As the OP says she's new to breeding, the best advice I can give is to breed her mare to a stallion who has a record of producing eventing offspring out of mares like the OP's. Of course, this won't be so easy when the mare is a Morgan/Arab x, as that is not the usual eventing mix.

    I'd be talking to breeders of Morgan sport horses about your mare's bloodlines. I know there's a couple in CA, the McFalls, who do Morgans and eventing and have bred some nice crossbred eventers. I'd be picking brains more knowledgeable than my own about Morgan and Arab lines. Find out what to look for or what to avoid for a mare like yours.

    Next, I'd be looking for a stallion that has a proven track record of producing good eventers. This will usually mean the stallion is older and has enough offspring on the ground already competing in the sport. This is not the same thing as having two foals who got ribbons in an in-hand or FEH or dressage breeding class. For a mare's first foal, you want to be extra attentive to this detail. You don't/can't know what your mare produces, so go with a known quantity for your stallion.

    If you don't know what to expect from your mare, try to find a stallion who is similar in type, from a family who is similar in type. This should lower the odds of your getting an equine Mr. Potato Head.

    We've hashed this all out here before, in depth and detail. This thread, which runs from 2009 to present updates, is quite informative.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2006
    Location
    Port Perry Ontario - formerly Prodomus
    Posts
    2,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    I'm sorry (and I know I'm gonna get flamed) but with the huge numbers of unwanted horses out there I would seriously consider NOT breeding a 1/2 morgan 1/2 arabian for an eventing career.

    Your choice, your right to do so - but please consider the plight of unwanted horses as well.
    You should get flamed - not what the OP asked and no one should try and make her feel guilty for what she wants to do. jmo She knows what she wants and breeding your own horse has special rewards that can not be denied.

    I currently ride a homebred 5 yr old and the joy that I feel knowing that I bred and raised this guy is undescribable.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,292

    Default

    This guy is a lovely, lovely boy with a wonderful mind. He is competing successfully at Intermediate and 4th Level Dressage.

    http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/our-stallion.html



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    This thread is threatening to turn into the all-too-familiar pattern of stallion connections recommending their stallions, which are often unproven at (1) producing eventing types out of mares like the OP's, (2) producing eventing types at all and (3) producing foals, period.

    Sea Lion, for example, is an attractive stallion who events at Advanced but has zero foals on the ground. It is hard to know what a stallion produces when he hasn't produced anything yet. There's nothing wrong with that, and he looks like he has a bright future, but it's not the optimal scenario when you're breeding for the first time. (It's different for an experienced breeder with a proven broodmare.)

    As the OP says she's new to breeding, the best advice I can give is to breed her mare to a stallion who has a record of producing eventing offspring out of mares like the OP's. Of course, this won't be so easy when the mare is a Morgan/Arab x, as that is not the usual eventing mix.

    I'd be talking to breeders of Morgan sport horses about your mare's bloodlines. I know there's a couple in CA, the McFalls, who do Morgans and eventing and have bred some nice crossbred eventers. I'd be picking brains more knowledgeable than my own about Morgan and Arab lines. Find out what to look for or what to avoid for a mare like yours.

    Next, I'd be looking for a stallion that has a proven track record of producing good eventers. This will usually mean the stallion is older and has enough offspring on the ground already competing in the sport. This is not the same thing as having two foals who got ribbons in an in-hand or FEH or dressage breeding class. For a mare's first foal, you want to be extra attentive to this detail. You don't/can't know what your mare produces, so go with a known quantity for your stallion.

    If you don't know what to expect from your mare, try to find a stallion who is similar in type, from a family who is similar in type. This should lower the odds of your getting an equine Mr. Potato Head.

    We've hashed this all out here before, in depth and detail. This thread, which runs from 2009 to present updates, is quite informative.
    I think you are absolutely right. It is one of the big reasons why I am skeptical about Formula One, as I cannot find any offspring and it doesn't seem that he is competing himself. But many people have such great things to say about him.

    I would also like to point out that I am not necessarily looking for an UL event horse. Though it would be AWESOME for that to happen, I am really just looking for a nice horse that can jump around and has a nice steady mind. The current horse I am riding is my Mom's, (I just recently had to sell mine) and I am quite sure he will take me pretty far in the eventing world.

    I have been looking at http://www.lonetreefarm.net/stallions.htm As columbus suggested. He seems like a horse that can balance out her hot blood and still has nice movement. He is competing at CCI* right now. I also like that he has nearly 100 foals on the ground. The only thing I currently don't like about this stallion is as JER said, I should look for something that has proven eventer offspring, which he doesn't.

    I actually very much like Super Star, as JER suggested but I am afraid that the baby would be too small for me.
    I am nearly 5'8 and large boned. (I weigh 170 when in perfect shape) I actually don't like riding my mare very much, as I feel like a giant on her! (though I loved jumping her and riding her x-c)
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Location
    Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    4,336

    Default

    wow... I am really loving that second link, Bridon Beal Street!
    He is my favorite of the IDH's. He is really really nice!

    Please take a look at Guaranteed Gold for Cher as well

    www.TrueColoursFarm.com

    and if you look at the links of the various offspring he has produced out of different breeds of mares, you should get a good idea of what he should produce with yours as well

    Good luck in your search and I really like your mare - she looks like a blast to ride!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 2007
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,618

    Default

    I second irish for talent and mind. Bridon beale Street and jaunty star are both pure irish Draught and going prelim BBS link is already mentioned JS - http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/p....php?unid=6017

    BBS in action http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...=x-country+big
    http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...=x-country+big

    Outside of Irish, consider Gatsby - http://www.foxdalefarm.us/gatsby.htm
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

    Join us on Facebook



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I second irish for talent and mind. Bridon beale Street and jaunty star are both pure irish Draught and going prelim BBS link is already mentioned JS - http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/p....php?unid=6017

    BBS in action http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...=x-country+big
    http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...=x-country+big

    Outside of Irish, consider Gatsby - http://www.foxdalefarm.us/gatsby.htm
    Oh my gosh, seeing all those great things people are saying about this horse pretty much just made my heart explode! I am getting wayyy too excited for my own good! (and it doesn't help that I am already a fan of the Irish Sport Horse) haha
    I really love Liam (BBS). Such great feedback in that thread:
    "I've spent a lot of time watching him move. He's very correct and VERY clever with his feet. Maybe that's why no boots?
    This guy LOVES HIS JOB. If I was going to breed, he'd be at the top of my stallion list. Really good guy (who throws chorme!).
    eta: Despite how big he is, I've never seen him have to try all that hard. Jumping this big stuff seems to be like falling off a log for him..."
    and
    "I see this stallion compete regularly and he is top quality - both in character and athleticism! I also tried one of his babies out of a TB mare and she was just lovely. Would definitely recommend him for anyone looking to breed an Irish sport horse"


    As for Gatsby... WOW what a stunner, he is great looking! I just sold my baby boy... a Hanoverian who was jet black like him and since he was my first horse I do have a weak spot for that color (not that I would EVER breed for color)
    Looks like he has a few offspring that are competing so I will definitely be looking into this guy
    Edit: Gatsby also guarantees live foal... that is a huge deal to me! Just watched some of his videos, he looks like such a sweet boy!
    Thanks so much!
    Last edited by KateMcCall; Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    I'm going to suggest Tatendrang. He's young, with only 2 foal crops on the ground, but he's producing really nice foals. He himself is working his way up through the eventing levels very successfully. He also has full siblings, some who have produced themselves, and he and his family are very athletic and amateur friendly. He's a modern stallion and will definitely give you the height and elegance you are looking for judging by his crop so far - but his owner would be able to tell you much more.

    Platinum von Rappenhof Pb* is proven himself, and like Tate, has siblings with offspring out and about.

    Sea Accounts xx might also be a nice choice.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I think you are absolutely right. It is one of the big reasons why I am skeptical about Formula One, as I cannot find any offspring and it doesn't seem that he is competing himself. But many people have such great things to say about him.
    There are loads of pics of offspring on denny's website. If you have specific questions, or want to know more, why not PM denny and ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I have been looking at http://www.lonetreefarm.net/stallions.htm As columbus suggested. He seems like a horse that can balance out her hot blood and still has nice movement.
    This isn't really how it works. You don't automatically get a 'cooler' horse by breeding to a full RID. You will most likely get something closer to the mare in temperament and in physical type.

    Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I am nearly 5'8 and large boned. (I weigh 170 when in perfect shape) I actually don't like riding my mare very much, as I feel like a giant on her! (though I loved jumping her and riding her x-c)
    If you don't like riding this mare, then honestly, don't breed her. Unless lightning strikes, you will get something similar in type and size to your mare no matter who or what you breed her to. If you don't want that, don't breed her.

    Also, keep in mind that, if you end up with something you don't like, any foal from this mare will not be an easy sell. I don't know of any eventers who seek out Morab crosses, especially small ones, no matter who the sire is. At this point, you will have sunk considerable money into the horse and should be prepared to take a deep bath.

    You would be better off budgeting out the money you'd spend on breeding and putting it toward the purchase of a nice young horse that you enjoy riding. That will maximize your odds of success, without the significant vet bills, waiting, and often, disappointments that come with breeding.




Similar Threads

  1. TB pedigree for eventer/sporthorse prospect?
    By fourhorses in forum Eventing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun. 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
  2. Wanted: TB eventer prospect from CL ad
    By Tangerine Farmer in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Look at the Finger Lakes beauties for an eventer prospect
    By foundationmare in forum Eventing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec. 9, 2009, 11:46 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Dec. 5, 2009, 05:35 PM
  5. Eventer prospect? UPDATED SAW HIM & have ???'s HELP!!!
    By Trailrider70 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •