The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blundstone soles going bad?

I am on my second pair of Blundstones (the 2nd in 15 years!) and am not real impressed this time around. The leather looks awesome- stitching is in great shape, smear on a little conditioner and they look brand new- but the soles have absolutely died. It's like the rubber was pretty thin to start with. I do not clean stalls in them (makes them too stinky and I like to be able to wear them out in public without smelling like a dirty barn), only ride and wear them around occasionally at horse shows. My husband has a pair too and is having the same problem combined with chunks falling out of sole at the arch. He rarely rides (wears them when he does) and very occasionally wears them to work- he's a software engineer, so not hard on them at the office Anyone else having problems with theirs? I'm not sure if I should try to have them repaired or just replace them... but with what??
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I used to be a huge Blunnie fan but now they're made in China and the quality went to hell. My most recent pair lasted 6 months before the sole in the heel area just started crumbling and disintegrating. Won't be buying another pair.

Yup, that's the same problem I'm having. Darn Anyone try Redbacks? I seem to remember an Australian friend telling me one time that they were the "good" boots and that Blunnies were crap.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I had Redbacks first, they lasted several years. actually, I had to get rid of them because DS bumped me up a shoe size. Currently have Blunnies, they are 2yo and still holding up great, and they are in dairy barns all the time. Waaaay worse than mucking stalls
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I know 3 people who had the same issue: old pair lasted for more than 10 yrs, new pair fell apart within a year.

My friends work at REI & they get returns all the time now that they aren't made in Oz any more.

My husband had a pair he wore for about 8 years, they were great. I found another pair (made in Vietnam, not Australia) at a local thrift shop for $3.00-brand new, and he wore them a few times, then we put them away for a few months.

He started to wear them again, and the soles literally crumbled off after a few days! I Googled the problem, apparently this is not an isolated incident. Must be the poor quality rubber they are now made of-God knows what's in it!!

Won't ever buy another pair-thrift shop buy or not!!

Haven't owned any Blunnies yet but was (not any more though) considering getting a pair to replace my Danskos that have the same exact problem with the soles disintegrating.

I've had Danskos last for years with no problems - and I cleaned stalls in them all the time. But the last couple of pairs seemed to have gone to he!! really fast. Leather still looks great (new looking and soft) but the soles either developed huge cracks that went from one side to the other or they had chunks of sole just crumble and fall apart leaving big holes.

As much as I loved my Danskos, I will never buy another pair.

I need to find another shoe as comfortable but I guess I will not even bother looking at Blunnies if they have the same poor quality issues with the soles.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    Haven't owned any Blunnies yet but was (not any more though) considering getting a pair to replace my Danskos that have the same exact problem with the soles disintegrating.

I've had Danskos last for years with no problems - and I cleaned stalls in them all the time. But the last couple of pairs seemed to have gone to he!! really fast. Leather still looks great (new looking and soft) but the soles either developed huge cracks that went from one side to the other or they had chunks of sole just crumble and fall apart leaving big holes.

As much as I loved my Danskos, I will never buy another pair.

I need to find another shoe as comfortable but I guess I will not even bother looking at Blunnies if they have the same poor quality issues with the soles.

Anybody have any recommendations?
    Dansko also went the way of the Blundstone a few years ago and is now manufactured in China. I believe if you look for Sanita clogs, they are the original materials and construction process and basically identical.

I just replaced my first pair of Blunnies too. They were 6 years old and went everywhere with me but the soles were finally giving way. So far I'm not happy with the new pair. They're not breaking in very well, the foot bed isn't nearly as comfortable. I may put some insoles in there and we'll see how long they hold up.
    "As one of those weirdos that always enjoyed the grooming tasks that most others didn't, Kirsten decided it was time to make the most of it and create Shear Convenience Grooming"

Same story here. My first pair were soooo comfy and lasted three years which is huge for me. Second pair not so somfy and didn't even hold up two months before soles went. I tried to replace them with a pair of rossis but ultimately they were too narrow for my fat feet no matter how hard I tried to break them in. When finances allow I'm going to try the red backs.

I tried Redbacks after finding that Blundstones kept giving
    out where my little toe pushed out the side of the leather.
    (Yes, I have wide feet.) The Redbacks were painfully tight
    over the top of the arch, so much so that I have never
    worn these boots.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I bought a pair of Redbacks today at my local tack store. The jury is still out. They are comfortable through the footbed and wider than my square-toed Blunnies, but come up a little higher around the ankle. Right now, they are super stiff along my Achilles and are threatening blisters, so we'll see how they break in. I've also got to make sure that my half chaps work with them- they are much "clunkier" than my Blunnies. **UPDATED** Carried them out to my tack room & they don't fit in my stirrups!!! Well, they do fit, but are too tight a fit to be safe. I've been drug once when my foot got caught- won't do that again! Now to take these back & go back to researching boots
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Jul. 13, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Don't fit my stirrups!!!

I have redbacks and like them. They are about 1 1/2 years old and still look good and going strong. I can wear them with half chaps, but they don't have spur rest if that matters to you.

My husband got a pair of blunnies a couple of years ago which cracked under the ball of his foot. The pairs before and after held up ok. I got my first pair this spring to replace a pair of Ariat which died after only a year. We shall see how they hold up.

Sanita clogs are saving my knee and heel (bone chip). So glad that I found out that the Dansko production had changed for the worse before I purchased.

Still looking here. I won't buy Ariats after all the horrible things I've read about them over the years. I like the slip-on style of Blunnies. Anyone have any experience with Dubarry Kilkennys or are they too chunky like the Redbacks?