The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3H Bumper Pull Questions, and general trailer ?

Hi Everyone,

As noted on a few other posts, I found THE truck! Its a 2010 Chevy 2500HD 4X4. I shouldn't have any trouble pulling a 2 horse trailer right??

Thanks to getting a nearly new truck, my budget for a trailer has dwindled. From borrowing a lot of trailers in the past, I thought I knew what I wanted:

2H straight load
    Ramp preferred (by the maresie)
    Sm. Dressing room
    NO mangers
    Either GN or BP, although I'll have to get the GN hitch installed

I assumed straight load, because I don't want the maresie to be cramped in a slant (she's only 16H, but her barn buddies are a bit larger if they come too). She is also used to a straight load, and I am too. Easier to self load as well.

Anyway, I've seen several 3H bumper pulls in my area. My assumption is that if I go up to a 3H, that it should be a GN. Period. I don't need a 3H, but it looks like a good deal and it has a dressing room.

Is a 3H bumperpull too much/too long? I know its not too heavy at 3,000lbs for the truck. But what about stability? I'm not going to be driving over a ton of mountains or in super windy conditions. But I just have this assumption that any 3H trailer should be a GN and not a BP. Where is that assumption coming from?

And one more question....what is the difference between a load leveling hitch and sway bars?

If you have a choice, go with a GN either way. It's easier to drive, easier to hitch up, easier ride on the horses, etc. I can't really think of a reason that I would ever go back to a BP
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I would love to not have this debate and simply by a gooseneck.

Unfortunately, my budget is dictating what I do and do not buy...booooooooooo.

I've also seen several good deals on goosenecks. But they have generally been older and either monstrous or have a small LQ.

Thanks!

I just tried to post this and it vanished so I'll try once more... sorry if I dupe it.

Buy and read the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining and Servicing a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Sheve. Amazon has it if you can't find it locally. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about GN vs BP, alum vs steel vs alum&steel, horse size compatibility, ongoing care, etc.
    I do remember hearing (somewhere) that once you go 3H you really need to have a GN. I don't remember if it's the weight or the length or the combination of both that can mess up the stability of a 3H BP.
    Plus I'd think the 3H BP would have to be a slant and at 16H your horse will be at the comfort limit for a slant - and her bigger friends would have to stay home. The slant stall is shorter (front to back) than a straight because it's constrained by the trailer's width. Also there don't seem to be many 3H BPs which tells me resale would be harder.
    For 2H you could go either GN or BP; I happen to like GN better after switching about 2 years ago. But I know a lot of happy BP owners too.
    Finally, since you're in NC, watch the nchorsenews.com classifieds. They don't have a huge number of trailers but they do get all kinds. Good luck!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I have a 3H BP Sundowner and have pulled it fine for years. Yes, I would rather have a GN but at the time I bought it I didn't have the $$ for one. Mine is a slant load, tack room in the front. I have pulled my friend's 17 hand Oldenburg with no problem, my horses are smaller than that. Good luck trailer shopping!

We've pulled up to a four horse bumper pull (18' length) with a 3/4 Suburban and Ford F350 pickup. Personally, I prefer the GN type trailer as it is much easier to maneuver.

Is the truck a Duramax? If so then a 3H GN, even with a small dressing/tack room, is not too much for the truck. If it's gas, then you'd better look at the GCVWR because you could "bump up" against a weight limit.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have a 3H slant BP (wanted a GN but could afford this) and pull loaded full with 3 horses and tack with a dodge 3/4 ram. We do use a stabilizer hitch which helps a lot. But, has a tack room in the front and pulls really well, Dodge hums right along with it. Am hoping to get a 4H GN this year but this has been a great great trailer. Manuevers and tracks well.

Even if your chevy is a gasser (I think you said it was??) and thus more susceptible to load, you should be fine on pulling but you will eat in on fuel!!!

We have a f250 4x4 with a 3horse bumper pull slant load ponderosa. Lol the po boy trailer lol. But it has been at great trailer and behind the 250 you don't even know it's there unlike when we had a 1500 we felt it pulling hard loaded with 3 horses. I find with our butt bars that the shortest in length not height goes up front the other two stalls are good for longer horses even the long school bus qh we trailered to some shows lol. When my bigger boy went by himself I'd load him in the middle stall so he had room and it went great. We've talked about getting a lq type trailer but we are going to keep this one because it's so easy. Hope this helps. Good luck
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I've pulled a 2h bp with a large walk-in dressing room with a smaller vehicle and was fine.

I have a '01 Chev 2500hd (gas 8.1 liter) that pulls my current little 2h bp fine...but owie on gas.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Owie on the gas is right...even without a trailer!

The Chevy is gas, not diesel. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 2 horse either BP or GN. Even though there are a few good deals out there on some 3 horses, I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE

Thanks!
    Well, NOW you only have one horse, but in the future.....

actually I love the 3H BP, very handy and accommodating (only had two when I got it!!). Not a thing of beauty but we sandblasted all the rust, repainted. Just saying, very useful size...

Owie on the gas is right...even without a trailer!

The Chevy is gas, not diesel. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 2 horse either BP or GN. Even though there are a few good deals out there on some 3 horses, I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE

Thanks!
    What engine/drive train do you have? What is the GCVWR on the truck (you'll find this either on the driver's door post or in the owner's manual)?

I had a K3500 Chevy Dually with an 8.1L gas engine. It never met a gas pump it didn't like. But it gave good service for 115,000 miles (before it left me stranded at a gas pump in KY). It pulled well enough; my current 3500HD Duramax is much better on that score.

G.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can never have too much room.

I have a 4 horse living quarters trailer and went to camp last month and had very little left over space with only taking one horse. My best friend went as well- pulling a 3 horse living quartes with only one horse and she had less leftover space than I did!

Now I will admit our husbands crack up laughing when we leave- plus they are not sure if we actually intend on coming home because we are packed like we are leaving for ever! But, it is extremely rare we don't have ***everything*** we need : )

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    What engine/drive train do you have? What is the GCVWR on the truck (you'll find this either on the driver's door post or in the owner's manual)?

I had a K3500 Chevy Dually with an 8.1L gas engine. It never met a gas pump it didn't like. But it gave good service for 115,000 miles (before it left me stranded at a gas pump in KY). It pulled well enough; my current 3500HD Duramax is much better on that score.

G.
    Its a 2010 6.0L V8, I believe its GCVWR is 9200lbs (sound about right?). I'll have to check when I get out of the office.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    I just tried to post this and it vanished so I'll try once more... sorry if I dupe it.

Buy and read the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining and Servicing a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Sheve. Amazon has it if you can't find it locally. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about GN vs BP, alum vs steel vs alum&steel, horse size compatibility, ongoing care, etc.
    I do remember hearing (somewhere) that once you go 3H you really need to have a GN. I don't remember if it's the weight or the length or the combination of both that can mess up the stability of a 3H BP.
    Plus I'd think the 3H BP would have to be a slant and at 16H your horse will be at the comfort limit for a slant - and her bigger friends would have to stay home. The slant stall is shorter (front to back) than a straight because it's constrained by the trailer's width. Also there don't seem to be many 3H BPs which tells me resale would be harder.
    For 2H you could go either GN or BP; I happen to like GN better after switching about 2 years ago. But I know a lot of happy BP owners too.
    Finally, since you're in NC, watch the nchorsenews.com classifieds. They don't have a huge number of trailers but they do get all kinds. Good luck!
    This book is AWESOME and comprehensive!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Its a 2010 6.0L V8, I believe its GCVWR is 9200lbs (sound about right?). I'll have to check when I get out of the office.
    Well, you have a "weight" problem.

Take the truck to your local truck stop and weigh it on the CAT Scale. It will cost you $25 or so. That will tell you how much loaded trailer you can legally pull. Subtract the the weight of horses and gear and that number is the max. empty weight of your trailer.

Ignore the "towing capacity" number. That's for marketing purposes, not for legal or engineering purposes.

I suspect you'll be able to do a two horse with dressing room without issue. The three horse will be more problematical, but might be possible.

Good luck.

G.

I pull my 3 horse bp loaded with my dodge 2500 diesel no problem at all. I also pull my 3 horse gooseneck with living quarters with the same truck and that's mostly over mountain passses for summer camping trips. Sure, until I get the exhaust changed so I can install the power chip, we're a little slow on the uphill but really no issues. Pulling a 2 horse with a 3/4 ton should be a piece of cake.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Well, you have a "weight" problem.

Take the truck to your local truck stop and weigh it on the CAT Scale. It will cost you $25 or so. That will tell you how much loaded trailer you can legally pull. Subtract the the weight of horses and gear and that number is the max. empty weight of your trailer.

Ignore the "towing capacity" number. That's for marketing purposes, not for legal or engineering purposes.

I suspect you'll be able to do a two horse with dressing room without issue. The three horse will be more problematical, but might be possible.

Good luck.

G.

I think the problem is the "C".

I don't do government motors, but 9200 sounds about right for GVWR

GCVWR should be much higher.

I pulled a fully loaded 3H BP with the 2004 model of that exact same truck with no problems at all. Braked well, maintained speed on the interstate, handled great. In a perfect world, yes, a GN is ideal, but there's nothing wrong with a nice BP.