The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Column about age

My next column will be about age. this topic has been on my back burner for a long time. The recent string of posts following Margie's accident has moved it to the front burner for me, along with my swift approach to 60.

I'm plan to interview the elder statesmen and women of our sport.

I'd love to get your suggestions of people to interview, both well -known icons and everyday people in all riding disciplines.

Thanks
    Jody

Jimmy Wofford, Denny Emerson and Bruce Davidson, Sr. would be a good place to start for eventers.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Sent you a p.m.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Denis Glacum, Margaret Spencer, Tom Borthwick, Jane Sleeper, Mary Hazzard, Elizabeth Ricklefs (all eventers)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

A local legend is Martha Wadsworth. She just turned 80 and still foxhunts. She retired from eventing only ~2 years ago...

ETA: Also one of our Whips, Herbert Weaver, just turned 80 last summer. He never misses a day!

Mike Plumb is still competing (and winning) at the LLs at age 72.

Too bad Ian Miller is getting ready for his 10th (!) Olympics - he would be ideal.
    I think Joe Fargis is of the same era as Ian - and still competeing, I believe.
    How about Katie Prudent - she just won at Spruce Meadows. Although she may not be old enough for what you need. Hap Hansen?

Lucinda Green - I wouldn't say she is aged, but she has offered opinions about how reaction time are affected by age, but also muscle memory and other things that can get better as we age, something like that

Is Rodney Jenkins still around? Bill Steinkraus probably still rides since he has that gorgeous barn and all... I know his wife was into dressage.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Torrance Watkins. And KOC since she's 54 and still competing at the highest levels.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I would rather see you talk with people that are not front and center, but ordinary riders who have been sitting on horses all of their lives. Like MCTA member and preliminary level rider Mardi Herman who raises all her horses herself and competes to the upper levels! And has been doing it a long time, too.
    and other older riders. Not everyone gives up riding when they age. We have an active rider in our hunt (actually, she's one of the masters) who is over 70, and she most of the time can ride circles around the rest of us....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

It would also be interesting to hear you explore the actual physical changes of aging after a certain point--a little creakier, not quite the lightning reflexes of yore, and how riders adjust to this. Then there are the riders who keep on doing it but bump themselves down a level of two (eventers) as opposed to stopping altogether.

Might be interesting to see why some people stop riding--can't do it at the level they were previously, old injuries catching up with them, etc.

Edging into the higher end of the 60s myself, and like it or not some things do slow down. Looking forward to reading what you come up with.

There are a very large number of aged fox hunters. Ellie Wood Baxter came to mind, but she's now dead. If you are interested in interviewing some of them, you could put a shout out on FOL. There seem to be quite a few who are riding with replaced joints.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    There are a very large number of aged fox hunters. Ellie Wood Baxter came to mind, but she's now dead. If you are interested in interviewing some of them, you could put a shout out on FOL. There seem to be quite a few who are riding with replaced joints.
    Really?? I saw Ellie Wood fairly recently at some Farmington Hunt Club events and she was looking great.

I think Melvin Poe still hunts and he's 91. His brother Albert is 80. Mary King is 51 and still competing (and winning) at the 4* level and the Olympics.

I thought I remembered seeing a Chronicle obituary for Mrs. Baxter, but I might be remembering this article:

http://farmingtonhunt.org/images/sto...oth_090511.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I would rather see you talk with people that are not front and center, but ordinary riders who have been sitting on horses all of their lives. Like MCTA member and preliminary level rider Mardi Herman who raises all her horses herself and competes to the upper levels! And has been doing it a long time, too.
    and other older riders. Not everyone gives up riding when they age. We have an active rider in our hunt (actually, she's one of the masters) who is over 70, and she most of the time can ride circles around the rest of us....
    That's my mom. I'm telling her you called her old, Retread.

Maybe Sally Cousins? She's in her late 40s and turned professional only about 10 years ago, but has become one of the top riders in the country and recently decided to try to make the 2014 WEG team.

Land of palms, rattlesnakes, sand and fields of beautiful Tbs

Default Old @ 40???

High Flyer,
    40 is NOT old. At 40, you are still in the prime of life and have finally had enough experience to have good judgement and muscle memory if you've had good training and worked at it. I did my last BNT clinic and competitions at 56 and would still be going if I hadn't lost my good horse. At the last clinic the young riders were "tired" and us oldies were begging for more. Now I am bringing along a 4 year old and although my reaction time is slower and I am more careful, I do not feel old.
    I think those in their 70's and above who are still riding, training and competing are the ones to be applauded. Denny Emerson and Ralph Hill come to mind as great ones to talk to about the difference in aging. Denny is 70-71 and Ralph is about 62-63.
    Piney Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    That's my mom. I'm telling her you called her old, Retread.

Maybe Sally Cousins? She's in her late 40s and turned professional only about 10 years ago, but has become one of the top riders in the country and recently decided to try to make the 2014 WEG team.
    I DARE you to call Sal old!!! To her face. If she's old, then I'm dead...

I'm closing in on 60 and have no intention of stopping. If my horse would ever get sound...The day I had the glimmer of Prelim in our future he tweaked his SDFT. I'm fatter, slower, weaker than the last time I was running P and Int. but I'd sure like to do it again. Obviously if I'm too fat, slow or weak I won't but I'd like it.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I DARE you to call Sal old!!! To her face. If she's old, then I'm dead...

I'm closing in on 60 and have no intention of stopping. If my horse would ever get sound...The day I had the glimmer of Prelim in our future he tweaked his SDFT. I'm fatter, slower, weaker than the last time I was running P and Int. but I'd sure like to do it again. Obviously if I'm too fat, slow or weak I won't but I'd like it.
    She and my mom--the cited old lady-- who had the lesson before me, were complaining about their eventing midlife crises during my lesson yesterday

I'm just hoping I have that kind of energy in 20- 30 years-- doubtful since I don't have it now!