The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

A little late on this so I didn't read all 240 responses. The author has been raised in a very privileged bubble and is mocking "foreign" customs when, in fact, if she were to travel a little bit in her own country she would find the same exact thing.
    Not horse shopping, but when I moved to the "Deep South" I had contacted a real estate agent to show us around. Being from the NE, I was sure we were going to roll into that office and immediately start our house hunting trip. I found out that first we had to chill a while, eat some food, and talk. THEN we could go look at houses. DH and I were beside ourselves at first ("we only have three days! we're wasting time!") but it all worked out OK and we enjoyed being taken to some of the local eateries and being treated to local food - like boiled peanuts (yum!) for the first time.
    This chick won't even use the bathroom at a gas station? I guess using a porta-potty would be out of the question...or a stall... And the food there is not good enough for her either, I guess her caterers bring her food at horse shows because I generally find gas station food better than horse show food.
    I think the article might have had a shred of humor if she just relayed the cultural differences without the condescending attitude. I used to relay our house hunting experience all the time to my north-east friends with more of a "it's cool it's so laid back here, we need to stop being so uptight" attitude rather than a "these darn rednecks are so slow" which is apparently how the author would see house shopping in that part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    What a poor attempt at humor and the whole article is just in bad taste. The author definitely sounds like a spoiled brat, and not somebody I'd want to use as my vet - I doubt my horses/barn/whole life would be up to her standards.
    yes it's a very bad article full of ridiculous inaccuracies... "refusing coffee is considered rude"... come on; this is just ridiculous!

"they don't have ice"... or maybe what about "Americans have this crazy obsession over ice and cannot drink anything without it?!!".... it goes both ways.

That was a very disrespectful article from someone who didn't even try to understand or enjoy another country's culture, very sad.

I sure hope some European rider decides to write a "humorous" article about hunter princesses who spend more time making their boots shine than grooming their horses; and who cannot bend their knees hard enough to seat on a saddle without 3 little steps to help them! Now that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    This article was hilarious!!!!!!!

The article was absoultely how it goes over in the NL.

Have any of you been on a horse shopping trhip over there? Probably NOT.

I have been several times, and this was my experience as well. I was laughing as I read her points. Could totally relate to the sandwich at the gas station, and eating anything offered by your hosts, no matter how weird it smelled or looked. I spent about 3 days stuffed in the back of a Volvo driven by the most entertaining Dutchman, driving to farm after farm looking at
    horses.

The barns may have looked abandoned, then the double doors open and the most spectacular animal emerges, with gleaming coat and perfectly shod hooves. This was the norm.

Also, no one over there thinks Americans are stupid or spoiled, we have only been brainwashed to think we suck. The people there are really gracious and very hospitable to Americans who are interested in buying their animals. They love experiencing our quirkiness.

Has everyone gone completely insane and lost their sense of humor??????????
    This is true true this is how horse shopping in the NL and other Euro countries can be - but - It was the tone of her voice in the article that smacked of spoiled brattiness

I had to laugh when she commented on the state of the stall cleanliness - what she doesn't know or bother to research is that in many of these countries they just lay down a new layer of clean straw daily and then completely muck out 1ce a month or twice a month when the muck can be directly transfered to a farm and spread immediately. You can't have manure piles at your barn cause the state environmental depts. will fine you for possible contamination of water tables. These countries are small and stuff must get recycled right away - no stock piling like here.

Also - we yanks just come off as plain rude when we roll our eyes and seem impatient while traveling - we need to just sit back and chill with a cuppa once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    I'm just relieved that she did not use a toilet on the trains.Or hit a public toilet. :>

Tamara
    Yeah especially some of those bar restaurant toilets you sometimes find in France/Italy/Portugal - the hole in the tile ones !! that were installed back in the day when men were the only patrons

It definately pays to wear a skirt !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    Yeah especially some of those bar restaurant toilets you sometimes find in France/Italy/Portugal - the hole in the tile ones !! that were installed back in the day when men were the only patrons

It definately pays to wear a skirt !!!!

Well those are kind of tricky but trust me you will have a hard time finding any left (in France at least)... only in super remote "bistros" and even there most of them are gone (thank God!!).

Also, those maybe quite inconvenient to use but they have proven benefits on health and there are less germs issue since no part of the body is in contact with the toilet...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet

hahaha, isn't that such an interesting topic?! To me it's at least as much entertaining as the "funny" article that you guys were discussing... not sure if in a "squat" or regular toilet, but I believe it definitely belongs there...

As a German, I really don't mind when folks from other countries find things odd. Sheesh, I've lived in the US for 14 years and I still find a bunch of things odd. (Ask me about the first time a cappuccino was served to me in a *paper* cup!) As for the article, I think a lot of what the writer considers so funny are more or less inside or situational jokes, the "you had to be there" kind. I don't take offense to the article at all, but I also think it's rather poorly written.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I have to agree about the article being poorly written and the woman being a little out of touch...but I still had a chuckle. Mostly because it reminded me of my week trip to Germany horse shopping. Spent hours upon hours upon hours in the car, looked at horses at midnight...completely exhaused! Really quite a sureal expereince. Also looked at horses at a castle, at many LOVELY farms. I also was super impressed with the gas stations and little motels (made the US look like a dump) and how sqeeky clean everything was. Was pleasetly blown away at the fabulous food and loved eating and drinking with all the wonderful people we got to meet along the way. However, I was thirsty the whole trip. Low grade dehydration really. It was hard to get flat water, even when asked for, and you got appreciation that the rest of the world does not supersize drinks, lol. It was a fabulous and completely memorable expereince...but exhausting!
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

I sure hope some European rider decides to write a "humorous" article about hunter princesses who spend more time making their boots shine than grooming their horses; and who cannot bend their knees hard enough to seat on a saddle without 3 little steps to help them! Now that would be funny!
    I was stabled next to a Brit and a German a few months ago, I have to say they had me in stitches about "hunters".
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Default Do tell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    I was stabled next to a Brit and a German a few months ago, I have to say they had me in stitches about "hunters".
    Do tell! – When I was a groom in France ages ago we had a couple of HP’s with their agent come to look at Selle Francais horses. The gals complained about everything – mostly the food. They were not happy campers in the least. Their eyes very rolling so much the other grooms asked me if they were ill. Their custom boots were impeccable and so shiny you could apply your lip gloss in the reflection.

I prepared the geldings and brought them up. I then gave a leg to each of them and stayed by the arena while they finished their test rides. Then reins handed to me at the end without even a thanks. Mind you I’ve gotten a thanks from even the most wealthy of horse buyers from all over the world. Most want to accompany the animals to and fro the barn to see how they react to daily care. These are the horseman. But the HP’s couldn’t be bothered thanking the “help”.

I kinda felt sorry for them. Horse shopping in Europe? What a dream vacation for most of us. It’s a shame when we are raised in such a closed environment as to not appreciate what we have or be incapable of enjoying a different cultural experience with an open mind or sense of adventure. As usual the French trainer who spoke perfect English mostly conversed in French with the agent, completely ignore the HP’s this of course made them even more annoyed and commented after their departure on how rude they were. Honestly, who do we think we are sometimes?? Especially in these times of austerity…