The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default coth article - humor. really?

Am I the only one who does not find this COTH article humorous? http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/how-survive-european-horse-shopping-trip
    Even though it starts off with the disclaimer "I realize that flying to Europe to buy a horse is a fabulous privilege" The author sounds like a spoiled brat.

quote: There is one occasion when we are looking at a horse, and a big machine drives past. Oh the horror! Farm equipment on a farm? That's a terrible thing to have to endure. Poor dear.

quote: I am used to having my horses groomed and prepared in a beautiful indoor arena during normal business hours. Ha! How nice for you! Seriously. You're going to visit farms in the European countryside. What on earth did you expect?

IMO, it's in poor taste to poke fun at the customs in other countries even if it's "light hearted". I love cucumbers, cheese and coffee and would be thanking my lucky stars for such an opporunity. Stupid article.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I didn't mind it. There's truth to going to a new country and not agreeing with their local customs. It happens when people come here, too. We are the only ones to do that and say such things. In Europe, they often do say mean things behind an American's back because they don't know the language and because they think we're crazy and stupid.

Get someone to interpret conversations on the rail that go on when someone is shopping and takes a videotape. It's really arrogant and stupid on their part that many times they will be super critical of the person trying the horse and think no one will ever know what they said.

I think the most shocking thing was to hear her say she was spending 100's of thousands of dollars and then to see that she's a vet student????
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

What a poor attempt at humor and the whole article is just in bad taste. The author definitely sounds like a spoiled brat, and not somebody I'd want to use as my vet - I doubt my horses/barn/whole life would be up to her standards.

I was horrified. To be humorous is one thing but to demean an entire culture is quite another. Mocking their ritual coffee and chat, their horsekeeping habits and arriving not knowing more than a few words of the native language is just plain rude.

The fact that a seller would be available to show you their horse at 10 pm and tried their best says an encyclopedia about their generosity. Especially when you can be fairly certain they were told you would be there during daylight hours but as horse people know, things happen to derail the finest tuned schedules.

I was not humored. And I am EASILY humored.
    bad decisions make good stories

Honestly I would but....

Having grown up with a Dutch family as well as having lots of Dutch friends now, I'd say MOST of it is true and having a little laugh would not offend most of them.

Things I had to get used to:

It would take ALL day to get anywhere. We would be HOURS late to appointments and they would not understand my embarassment of knocking at doors after eight.

They would constantly make fun of how much I ate (not so funny as a teen lol).

They all smoked and still do LOL. Though my friends now really dont they are all runners and uber fit! But they train full time so that may make a difference.

People would come to look at horses and they would be saddled no grooming just chizzled out of the mud (not that that mattered as most of them were 3rd level in less than a year and once they got moving if the buyer had an eye they were surprised).

Funny my friends ride/rode in the full outfit, clean and decked out always very nice tall boots and never understood our paddock wear lol. They always rode very well just not interested in grooming I guess lol

It was a "cavaletti" if it was under 3 ft lol

Always tea or coffee yes, and very rude if you say no, or rude if you say Im full lol

But we are like a family so its easier to make fun, but rest assured it doesnt bother anyone on that side of the lake! lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    What a poor attempt at humor and the whole article is just in bad taste. The author definitely sounds like a spoiled brat, and not somebody I'd want to use as my vet - I doubt my horses/barn/whole life would be up to her standards.
    I agree. But I hated the book, Eat, Pray Love while everyone else loved it. I thought she was a selfish, spoiled brat and needed to get a grip (I never made it through her searching in India before I gave the book away to the lady next to me on a plane).

Well she is a student first of all, from New York City and yet manages to ride. Combine all those things together and right off the bat you know that the author is from a privileged background. I don't know many other students that can afford to go 6-figure horse shopping while in school.

I found the article humourous but yes there is definitely the edge of privilege.

I have been to Amsterdam (not for horse shopping) and didn't have a problem with late-night eating or forced coffee drinking but whatever.

Not funny.

I'm used to having my horses braided and prepped waiting for me blah blah get over yourself.

I would DIE to have an opportunity like that and I certainly would take in all the cultural differences with enjoyment. One of the reasons I love to travel.

Sounds like an entitled princess who probably doesn't event tack her own horse up.

I thought it was pretty funny actually in that "oh my god never been anywhere in my life" way (esp off the subdivision pavement)

she would REALLY have been appalled to go to southern Germany where coffee and cake is religiously observed at 3pm (shops close) to reopen at 4pm to close at 5pm (and there was the hour for lunch at noon)

but you are expected to be at the bakery at 6am sharp for the fresh bread to have the first breakfast of cold cuts and bread and coffee second breakfast at 10 and lunch at noon

and that she never saw liquified poop? that is funny all in itself,hell that is how half of Illinois is always fertilized....

it just says to me "Teeny Bopper Abroad" nothing more insidious....

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I found it obnoxious. Maybe something you write in your journal at your own amusement or laugh about with your friends back home, but hardly IMO something to write for general consumption.

I can only imagine her type of humor appeals to a very slim demographic. Again, save it for the yacht club social or something.

And fergodsakes GROW UP!

I'm actually disappointed in COTH for even publishing it.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Unfortunately, this type of attitude is why Americans are hated all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I think the most shocking thing was to hear her say she was spending 100's of thousands of dollars and then to see that she's a vet student????
    I know! I wondered about that too.

I found it mildly entertaining. I don't eat at gas stations either, and it has to be a mini-plaza before I'll consider using the restroom.

**shrug**

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    But I hated the book, Eat, Pray Love while everyone else loved it.
    You and me both. I just could not get what was so great about it. I picked it up and tried again several times. Noper.

So...there are two of us who hated it.

I only laughed AT the author...not WITH her.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    I only laughed AT the author...not WITH her.
    I wondered why I was smiling, but that was it, I find her reaction funny/sad.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I found this article absolutely ridiculous.

I live in Europe and work as an agent to people who are looking for Lusitano/Andalusian horses.

I have NEVER done any of this to anyone, and neither have the people I work with.

This person has just hired the wrong agent, and shouldn't wright an article about one single experience. This really gives the wrong idea about what we do here.

There are bad professionals all over the world...

Sounds like a typical American tourist. Given her obvious socioeconomic status I'm sure she's traveled before, but clearly not the type of traveling that allows you to know the real culture. I doubt she ever used a "Europe on $50 a day" travel guide.

Having lived in Europe, there are some funny cultural things (how can they smoke and drink so much coffee and what is the aversion to ice??), but the actual discussion about the horses was pretty trite - heaven forbid the horse you are buying not be braided when they show it to you!

I thought the language part was pretty funny, but not in the way she wrote about it. In my experience nearly EVERYONE over there speaks English. If they chose not to do so, I'm sure it is because they were talking about her/money and didn't want her to know what they were saying.

First World Problems.

The funny thing is:
    1. They use liquified manure as fertilizer in the US. It smells. She is in vet tech and laughing at farm management practices?
    2. Horses are sold in the US every day in ungroomed outdoor rings, unbraided
    3. People are late in the US for meetings every day.
    4. People eat fast food and drink coffee every day in the us.
    5. People drink red bull and eat pringles in the US.

It just sounds like she leads a very sheltered, priveleged life, enjoying the sport of Horse Prancing with the Romneys.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You and me both. I just could not get what was so great about it. I picked it up and tried again several times. Noper.

So...there are two of us who hated it.

Make that three!