The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Long haired dogs and dingleberries

I've had a few shelties in my life. Never had a problem with dingleberries - they always managed to keep themselves pretty clean back there, and would be able to take care of business with barely anything left behind.

My young sheltie, just turned a year old, has some serious dingleberry issues. He squats so deep when he poops that he is actually pooping on the long hair back there. So, I gave him a little trim between his legs to shorten things up. Seemed to work but then yesterday he squated on our walk ... and there was nothing to pick up. I don't know how he managed it, but he got an entire turd stuck in the short hair on his butt. I trimmed him up again.

Do they outgrow this ? Or am I destined for a lifetime dingleberry harvest ?

HAHAHA!!! I have the same issue but with Persian cats (I have 3, God help me). You are in for a lifetime of cleaning this stuff off your dog. Or clipping it off. I only (usually) have a problem when they have diarrhea (sp? I never can figure out how to spell that word.) Keeping hair around the butt clipped very short helps, but it is not a great look.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm on my second sheltie. I showed the first one in junior handlers, so thankfully had lots of great mentors to help with learning the grooming stuff.

First- get this book. It's the bible of sheltie grooming.

Second- this thread on Sheltie Nation should help too. (But seriously, still buy the book. You won't regret it)

Third- Pictures of your baby?

My PekeAPoo (mostly Peke) has trouble of a different sort. Well, not trouble for him, but it is for us! If I don't trim his um, weenie hair it retains the urine odor.
    Hard to explain to Maxie Man why I am wielding a pair of scissors, headed for his (remaining) "man bits".
    I do have to watch our Yorkie Poo (hmmm, I seem to have several dogs with "poo" in their moniker....hmmmm ) she can get unwanted hitchhikers like your sheltie. When I brought her home from the pound she really had the problem you are discussing. She is all trimmed up and cute now , although we do have an occasional unwanted lump.

I too have had the "entire turd stuck on butt" experience with my long haired kittehs. Many, many times. Sigh . . . . . . .

This is the little stinker - he is the black & white one. My other dog, Buddy is the sable one that won't look at the camera.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/roxyllsk/

Oh, he is gorgeous!!

He came from a small breeder who breeds to show - his mom has titles, so does dad. He was the biggest of the litter, and the breeder was going to keep him to show - BUT he ended up being too tall. So he's a 'cull' LOL from her program. I got him as an older pup (7 months).

Nice dog, wonderful, kind sheltie personality. Not too shy, and smart as anything. He is a snuggler too, that's how he got the name Romeo.

My other guy is a rescue with a boatload of issues, esp with other dogs, so I needed to add a dog that had impeccable dog skills. It's worked out great and they are best buds now.

Yep, we find little "presents" here and there in the house that have ridden in on Springer Girl's butt. I keep her feathers long so I can't blame her when stuff gets stuck. The worst, though, is when I'm not wearing my glasses, see something on the floor and bend down to pick it up, only to discover that it's a piece o' poo... Bleck!

I have a chow mix with TONS of hair in his pantaloons, and long hair on his tail. The benefit of a mixed breed is you can do pretty much what you need to and no one laughs or points as much...
    When said dog occasionally gets the runs, I take braiding rubber bands and make him two pig tails, one on each leg, pulling the hair more to the outside of leg. I realize this is not a good solution on a permanent basis, but worth remembering anyway!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........