The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New info on Diclofenac(Surpass/Voltaren)

I have been using Voltaren for a chronic achilles tendonitis, prescribed by the medical accupuncturist I go to. When I went to my appointment today we were talking about how my treatment is going and the fact that although I had some improvement it still wasn't 100%. He told me he had been talking to a compounding pharmacist and that Diclofenac could be compounded up to 10%(so 10x the strength of the normal RX). Lidocaine can also be added. To keep this horse related, when I took the RX in they also do veterinary RX's. So may be something to get our vets to prescribe if our horses are having problems and require Surpass type relief from pain.

Yes, and they also can add DMSO, according to my friend with tennis elbow.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I'm sure the USEF would LOVE to hear that! Surpass is hard enough to "measure" for those applying it as it is.

And Lidocaine is a forbidden substance--I'll take my regular strength diclofenac straight up thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    I have been using Voltaren for a chronic achilles tendonitis, prescribed by the medical accupuncturist I go to. When I went to my appointment today we were talking about how my treatment is going and the fact that although I had some improvement it still wasn't 100%. He told me he had been talking to a compounding pharmacist and that Diclofenac could be compounded up to 10%(so 10x the strength of the normal RX). Lidocaine can also be added. To keep this horse related, when I took the RX in they also do veterinary RX's. So may be something to get our vets to prescribe if our horses are having problems and require Surpass type relief from pain.
    I used baclofen/diclofenac/lidocaine mix for awhile. Compounding pharmacists can do quite a bit.

My mare gets her's regular strength, but I am seeing really good results with the increased strength for this pesky tendon injury. It mostly bothers me when I ride(of course-heels down....)

Hmmm, I've been using my horse's surpass on my strangely sore right pinky finger because the joint closest to the fingernail is a bit swollen/sore. It's not doing a darn thing! My chiro recommended adding DMSO, but I was a bit scared to do so, maybe not a bad idea???

Funnily enough, when I have a sore joint/tight muscle, like my stiff neck form Wednesday- Friday, I try diclofenec [Voltaren] twice (2 days) and when it has no positive effect, I switch to Sore-No-More, and within minutes the problem is easing . No stiff neck sine Friday. I always make sure to have 2 bottles on hand- 1 on my dresser, and 1 in the barn. Actually, make that 3 bottles- I keep one in the horse trailer too.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Funnily enough, when I have a sore joint/tight muscle, like my stiff neck form Wednesday- Friday, I try diclofenec [Voltaren] twice (2 days) and when it has no positive effect, I switch to Sore-No-More, and within minutes the problem is easing . No stiff neck sine Friday. I always make sure to have 2 bottles on hand- 1 on my dresser, and 1 in the barn. Actually, make that 3 bottles- I keep one in the horse trailer too.
    LOL, the bottle of Sore no more is actually on my bathroom counter...because it works!!!

Dune:
    There's your sign!!!