The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to buy warmblood showhunter foals, youngsters, bred mares,

Where would be a good source (US based farm or breeder, please) to purchase warmblood showhunter (type) fillies and bred mares?
    I'm looking for either warmblood mares who have had successful show careers and who are currently in foal to hunter sires (with or without 2012 foals by their sides), and/or well bred young stock (fillies) out out of mares who have had successful show careers. Is there a breeder you would recommend, and if so, please tell me more about them. I do want mares with actual showring careers, not just shown on the line, though, and just hunters, please. Purchase or lease to own, only (no non-purchase option leases) Thanks!

Interesting question. I look forward to the responses.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Actually, you could try your own website/facillity

http://www.exchangehunterjumper.com/listings/uladee_cwf

Or maybe you already knew that and were trolling for business without the advertising costs on Coth?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have seen Genevieve's foals in person in California...OOH LA LA
    We bought one and he is awesome
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

If you're seriously looking, I would recommend Woods End Farm in Virginia and also Westbrook Hunt Club in Connecticut. I'm not positive but both usually have lovely young stock for sale at various times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post

Or maybe you already knew that and were trolling for business without the advertising costs on Coth?
    Oh dear.. You're quite the sleuth!

High valley Hanoverians has some nice hunter and dressage babies. Price usually reflects this also. I know she was selling a few broodmares that can be ridden recently don't know if she still is. Usually elite mares and all inspected
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I recently purchased my gelding from Bannockburn Farm in Indiana. Allyn (owner/ breeder) is fantastic. She has some really nice foals coming from her farm. I believe that one of hers was even a runner up for a competition with Beezie/ John Madden. His name was Handyman B. See here.

Worth a look IMO. I have been super happy with my horse. I am not planning to do anything serious with him at the moment but I know that she breeds a lot of nice horses that definitely have the potential and has a lot of proven babies out there.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Whoa, easy there folks. Did I miss something?

"Annick", the linked horse, has been privately owned by an amateur for quite some time. We've known the horse for 3 years, there's no CWF ownership, they just bred her. She's owned by a college student that's just trying to find a home that can afford to show her.

Perhaps I am out of the loop and you had more to go on other that the first 3 letters of this new user's name?
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

I think the OP is legitimately asking a question. The site that you linked to is lovely, well designed and full of nice horses, but does not seem to me to be catering to what the OP asked for.

I guess I am missing why you think this person is trolling for business. Maybe the OP is truly just looking for mares and fillies to purchase. Just because someone is new does not mean they are a troll. At some point, we were all new to the COTH forums!
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Well I might have been off, but I figure that is her website. Perhaps that is her business, to put sales horses together with new owners, and she is looking for new stock for her business. Purely legit, and a high end endeavor with a nice site, fer sher. To me, the OP looked a tad pokey, and I imagined a breeder looking for a discussion which might end up highlighting her own buisiness (ie, US Barns askes "who is the best breeder of Fuzzies you know? and she herself wants to be named the best breeder of Fuzzies). Or, a pony trainer named PonysRus asks, "Who is the best pony trainer out there for my daughter?" and lo and behold, the fishing expedition turns up some other posters who say go to PonysRus, she rocks! and solicits new clients through coth etc.

I might well have been off on this one, but you can't deny its been done before here.

Just sayin. Carry on.

I could be wrong, but Westbrook Hunt club in CT I don't 'believe' is a breeder, but I have no first hand knowlege of their breeding practices, there could be mares there and I wouldn't know. They can have some nice stock go through there, though, no doubt. I sold my own mare back to her original owner in '74. Jane at whc found a nice 11 yo girl to buy her, and the mare took her to the Medal McClays. Their horse shows are high caliber and very well run. On the east coast, she could also contact sally Hinkle at Mystic Hunt club, who has a large clientelle and many contacts and is a fabulous trainer here on the east coast. Never know what might turn up.

Good luck to the OP.

I also know of a small breeder of Parco babies, here in CT (mares in upstate NY) who is training them for hunters, with a very nice solid dressage foundation. the horses are lovely, and shown nationally. I will PM the op with contact info, if she is interested.

Westbrook Hunt Club does have some mares and foals. I'm not sure if any are for sale though. Try Hunter's Peak Sporthorses/Jill Johnson in PA. Also, there are a lot of really nice hunter stallions with facebook pages, and they often post information about mares in foal/for sale.

Don't think Sally would have too many contacts for US bred youngsters or mares in foal. She retired her stallion from breeding years and years ago, and has been importing most of her recent client buys -- and no foals/youngsters, either. Is there a geographic location you'd prefer, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by kealea31 View Post
    Westbrook Hunt Club does have some mares and foals. I'm not sure if any are for sale though. Try Hunter's Peak Sporthorses/Jill Johnson in PA. Also, there are a lot of really nice hunter stallions with facebook pages, and they often post information about mares in foal/for sale.
    They have a small breeding program up there but I'm not sure what they have currently.

Huh? I suggest you get your facts straight before making accusations. I do not have a commercial facility, nor any ads on the internet. I'm looking for a few bred mares OR filly foals for my own purposes. I do not have any horses for sale, nor have I ever been in sales. WTH?!

And Einstein, had I been trolling for "business", wouldn't I have included a business name, else what's the point?
    I don't have a business and clearly, you don't have a clue...so keep your incorrect assumptions and snarky comments in your own small mind and not on a public forum. Seems to me that YOU are the rude troll.

By the way, Ambitious Kate, your idiotic assumption that I had a website , an assumption based on nothing whatsoever I might add, didn't stop you from sending me a private message trying to pawn off your friend's hunters. Ha!
    Last edited by cwfhj; Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Oh dear.. You're quite the sleuth!
    Quite the sleuth? Hardly! That isn't me. I'm located on the East Coast and am not a professional. Sheesh!

To clarify exactly what I'm seeking; I'm looking for the names of breeders/breeding farms who have a history of producing successful showhunters, not just a breeder using hunter stallions but who doesn't have a good production record with their foals. I'd like to know what farms would be a good bet for looking at currently in foal retired showhunter mares (with show records, not just on the line) and/or filly foals. I realize this will be likely a larger, well known farm but I'm just not sure what farms have been most successful in this way, recently....Warioto, for example? That's the info I'm trying to find. Also, I'm referring to A-3 circuit showhunter mares, also to clarify my goals.

What breeder is producing the best hunter babies in the US lately?
    Thanks for your helpful input.

I think your best bet is to search for warmblood sporthorse breeders first, and weed out their stock as hunter prospects based on several factors including parentage.

A few years ago I began a search for a young (2-5 yr) warmblood hunter prospect and found that there are few breeding operations that breed specifically for only the hunter performance ring. I started looking at various breed registry websites to see who owns which stallions and mares (and quantity), then went to their websites and looked at their young stock. I visited several breeding farms and was able to discern which disciplines each youngster seemed best suited. There are tons of dressage breeding farms that will end up with a nice hunter prospect, but in my research did not find a farm solely dedicated to just producing hunters-that really limits their business.

I would look up the USEF leading hunter sires list and cross reference that with approved stallions of various registries-RPSI, Oldenburg, AHS, etc and go to those stallion owner's websites. If the farm is standing its own stallions chances are they have broodmare stock. And remember, everything is for sale at the right price.

Bottom line is that its important to do your homework on what lines are known for producing hunter type movement and jump and working from there. To find the specific horses geared towards hunters generally means weeding through the other sporthorses first.

I ended up buying a young mare who had a good dressage career and she is now my 3'6" prospect. she has a to-die-for jump but no one took the time to notice since she was always in a dressage barn. She just had her first foal and now i have an incredible hunter prospect colt as well.

Get your eyes on as many broodies, young stock as you can and you will find what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Thanks Silanac. I've done that. I was hoping to get recommendations but I think I will indeed have to sort it out myself. Most warmblood breeders focus on dressage or jumping, very few on showhunters and of that small pool,fewer still with broodmares who were successful showhunters. I think the top hunter breeders, such as Warioto, Crooked Willow and the like, are my best bet. I wondered if I had missed a few names of such breeders, or perhaps a newer breeder with recent successes, and was asking for that information here.
    Thanks again!

(P.S. Great tip on looking at the dressage breeders. You're absolutely spot on with that---I often used that 'trick' to find my good jumpers!)

As Silanac wisely states, there are a TON of hunter foals being produced by dressage breeding programs. Dressage breeders frequently incorporate jump on the sire's side in an effort in increase athleticism , and improve the canter. It's not that much of a trick to find them. A lot of warmblood registry broodmares are performance-tested as youngsters, and in those scores are two jump chute scores that can help you to identify which dams would be likely to produce what you are looking for, coupled with the sire's available information.

THere is one issue to keep in mind from a breeder's perspective. Mares that have had performance careers frequently do not go to the breeding shed until they are 12+ in age. Fertility will markedly drop after 12, particularly for maiden mares, and breeders like to stack the deck in their favor. We lose enough money on the venture without looking for complications. WHen I was breeding I stayed away from them, because of the number of folks I had met along the way that had started out with a retired show mare, dumped 10k into getting her bred with no result, and quickly decided they wanted no further part of breeding. I often wonder what would have happened with those folks had they started with a younger, fertile mare. Would they still be in the game?

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying that its impossible to transition a successful show mare to successful broodmare, it has certainly been done. But chances are greatly increased for a not-so-positive and expensive result, and I find it hard to fault any breeder that prefers to use younger, less proven mares in their program because of the fertility risks.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin