The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training a city boy to locate & destroy a yellow jacket nest

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

OK, they aren't; they seem to be fairly localized to one small area of my yard, so I'm assuming they have nested in the ground in that vicinity and the hive is still relatively small.

Unfortunately, I am highly allergic and flat terrified of stingy creatures. My previous experiences with eradicating underground nests have been (a) out of sheer necessity, (b) performed on extremely obvious nests, and (c) in large, open areas where I had lots of acreage to sprint madly across after dumping the poison of choice down the hatch.

None of these things are true in the current situation. The yard is very small and restricted and sprinting madly would put me in the middle of a busy street. The nest is not at all obvious. And I have a volunteer to do the dirty work.

SO is game and eager to kill the hive if I can tell him how to find it. SO is also a bred-in-the-blue city kid. I don't really know how to break this down for him as my personal anecdotes all go something like "Sneak up like a ninja, pour FAST RUNAWAYAYIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!".

Wise CoTH, can you help me write a citiots guide to fighting yellow jackets?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I was raised in a city, and it's pretty much your method, with someone standing with the door open yelling "Hurry up! I think I see them coming out!!"
    The mad dash is to the open door, where your assistant is required to pull you inside and slam it behind you, then both parties stare out the nearest window, ask each other "Do you think you got it?" and have a stiff drink before going out to check.

Instructions go "They're probably under that rock. Do you think you can flip it? Ok, just get as close as you can and spray it." Also caution him to not panic and throw the can of wasp spray at the nest. Sadly, they don't explode and kill all wasps on impact, though it would be cool if they did.

Currently battling yellow jackets in the pony's stall and I am losing the battle. Foaming it morning and night and I put up a trap. But I still see a few.

Tell the SO to watch from a safe place at dusk so that the entrance hole can be located. Put on long pants, shirt and something to protect the face. (I used a fly mask at the barn and one of the kids butterfly nets at home ) Think Ghetto Bee Keeper outfit. Proceed with caution, spray foam straight down hole. Run like the wind towards safety.

Then it is up to you to determine the appropriate reward for his valour.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Put on long pants, shirt and something to protect the face. (I used a fly mask at the barn and one of the kids butterfly nets at home ) Think Ghetto Bee Keeper outfit.
    Optional: Donning fly sheet as cape that will blow majestically in the breeze as you run away screaming.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Note the location of the nest during the day. Mark it as best you can for location at night (glow stick, reflective ground paint, etc.). Then go do a "night special ops" raid with Raid. If the little buggers are in the nest and you shoot the jet spray right into the hole you'll likely get them all.

The real secret is do this at night when you can see but they can't.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Speaking as a Plant Mercenary (and pyromanic):

I don't think it will be hard to give City Boy a cool search and destroy mission.

Look, just tell him what you want done. Emphasize "take no prisoners" or "scorched earth policy" or "blitzkrieg"--and teach him some history along the way.

Give him the proper weapons and safety gear (if there is any). Teach him how to use said ordnance...

And send him in!

Then let him tell you his war story and go out there with him after it is safe to survey the obliteration.

I say this as the child who was especially good at killing unwanted plants. I'd go balls-to-the-wall with that and I'm not ashamed to tell you that I enjoyed it. But the brass did have to tell me which plants were the enemies as my tastes were rather indiscriminate. I had to be directed. Also, I didn't like cleaning up post-battle. That was for lesser soldiers.

Really, I don't think getting him jacked up about the assignment will be hard. Also, give him a clue avoiding wasp attack but don't make him a Felix Unger about safety just because you are allergic. He'll figure it out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

A lot of "country" boys, even those on the SWAT teams, are afraid of snakes, much less yellow jackets.

I'd be satisfied with just getting city boys to be able to get rid of pesky roofers who offered to clean their gutters for 50$, then tried to extort 5000$ out of the boys.

Yellow jackets live in the ground down here (and over on North Avenue near the Varsity). You can smoke them out with a smudge fire, or spray down into the next with a concentrated spray for wasps and hornets.

Wasps have nests in garages, under docks by the river, and in barns.

Best way to wipe out insects like wasps and yellow jackets is at dusk, when they are settling down for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Speaking as a Plant Mercenary (and pyromanic):

I don't think it will be hard to give City Boy a cool search and destroy mission.

Look, just tell him what you want done. Emphasize "take no prisoners" or "scorched earth policy" or "blitzkrieg"--and teach him some history along the way.

Really, I don't think getting him jacked up about the assignment will be hard. Also, give him a clue avoiding wasp attack but don't make him a Felix Unger about safety just because you are allergic. He'll figure it out.

But I want to watch the fly sheet wave in the wind!

From the window.

Behind locked doors.

Because yellow jackets are notorious for their door knob turning abilities.

Who am I kidding, I'm going to be in the back closet weeping softly.

He is excited. He likes chores where he gets to play Rambo. I just have to sort out how to go about locating the nest from a quarter mile away covered head to keel in horse insect proofing so he can do his thing.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    Optional: Donning fly sheet as cape that will blow majestically in the breeze as you run away screaming.
    Is it sad that I actually considered this yesterday when contemplating a daytime raid on them?

Wait till dark, and/or until it cools down. They slow down in cold weather.
    At the moment we have a hay bale up in the loft with a big nest in it and even DH has decided it isn't too big of a problem up there. He's brave. I'm not. He gets to take care of it when the time comes - I'm going to be doing laundry, or something.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Not necessarily recommended depending on how flammable the surrounding area is, but if SO has hidden pyro tendencies, torching the nest should make the task extra appealing.

Pour gasoline (what I remember Dad using) down the hole and toss in a lit match. Dad's gear of choice (because you do stay in close proximity for a minute or two) was his motorcycle leathers and helmet!

Then later you go back and find the 9 or 10 jackets who were out of the nest at the time the inferno occurred, buzzing around in confusion. They're easily dispatched.

Please do not forget to film this and post it on youtube.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

so many years ago I ( a city dweller) discovered the hard way that there was a nest in my garden. Once recovered from the stings, which fortunately were not a big deal, I located the nest by watching from a respectable distance. Then was out one evening having cocktails (more then 1...) with my then sort of SO. He indicated that motor oil does a good job of eradicating the problem. After another cocktail, or maybe 2, we decided that if motor oil would work, so might Wesson oil. So at 11:30 pm we trundled off to the local grocery, picked up a jug, got a flashlight and went on our stealth bomber attack. I supervised, he dumped and we ran like hell, then patted each other on the back for a job well done.

Next am: strolled out to look for dead bodies, only to find a bunch of very cranky wasps floundering out of their hole. Though slimy from oil, and not flying too well, they seemed otherwise none the worse for wear. OOPS.

Next trip was to hardware store for RAID.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Thumbs down NNNOOOOO to Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Not necessarily recommended depending on how flammable the surrounding area is, but if SO has hidden pyro tendencies, torching the nest should make the task extra appealing.

Pour gasoline (what I remember Dad using) down the hole and toss in a lit match. Dad's gear of choice (because you do stay in close proximity for a minute or two) was his motorcycle leathers and helmet!

Then later you go back and find the 9 or 10 jackets who were out of the nest at the time the inferno occurred, buzzing around in confusion. They're easily dispatched.
    For god's sake don't do this as we are in a moderate drought and you'll probably start a fire and burn not only your yard but your house and some neighbor's to boot. If the flick of a still burning cigarette can start a fire, just imagine what pouring gas down their hole and tossing a match will do! Get a can or two or Raid and spray the hole at dusk or early in the morning.

If that doesn't work, call an exterminator. They will locate the nest and kill the bees. They ain't cheap but well worth it.
    Last edited by msj; Jul. 13, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Forget the gasoline. You could wind up with a fireball. Definitely a "hold my beer and watch this" move!

Locate and mark the hole, then go out after dusk or before dawn and give it a good dosing of wasp & hornet spray. Then cover it with 5% Sevin powder. The remainder will drag it into the nest while trying to get out.

Wasps and Yellow Jackets are heat-seekers. A white LED flashlight is less attractive to them than a conventional incandescent one.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Default Gasoline explodes

Diesel fuel, does not. It burns, but does not flambe'. Lit match and gas is a recipe for an ER visit and no eyebrows.

My DH has a ... wait for it ....

flame thrower.

He'll incinerate anything I want.

Something else I've done when I had a ground nest was, after I sprayed them at dusk with a can of Raid, was cover the hole with a heavy flat rock so none could escape. You can also spray at dawn if you're up early enough and, for sure, you should get all of them.

Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Definitely don't do gasoline or other flammable materials, and if you look at Calvincrowe's thread about destroying flying predators you'll know why. You never know where the underground part goes, and burning down the house, or blowing it up might be a really bad thing. And SO setting himself on fire might be kind of bad also.

You can always call a pro (unless Calvincrowe is a neighbor), and let them take care of it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Acetone is what's used in bug killing jars for insect collectors. That's what I use on yellowjacket nests. The hole is about the size of your thumb. They go back into it right at dusk, and there will be an unusually lot of flying around right above the entrance while they are all in the holding pattern for landing for the night. Spot the hole then. Remember its location well.

Buy a quart of Acetone. Well after dark go out and upend the quart of acetone on the hole leaving it there until morning. In the morning, there may be a few stragglers, but the majority of them will be in their grave.