The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with buyers

Yesterday while I was at work, I was unknowingly being stalked. I work at the hospital and I do a 12 hour shift, so I was there until 7:15pm last night. My cell phone died while I was there, but when I got home I listened to my messages.

Wow, 11 of them. First one I listen to is from my parents. Mom had to take dad back to the ER for his gout, possible osteomyelitis going on. They have been gone all afternoon, so no one has been home. 7 of the messages are from my stalker.

They start out like this, I am calling on your horse for my daughter, blah blah blah. He calls back again, I would really like to see your horse today. Next call, we are going to head out your way. We are on our way over. We are on your road but we don't see a farm with that name anywhere. Hey we are at your farm and we would really like to see your horse but we can't get a hold of you. !!!!!!

Do you think maybe if I didn't answer one of the 7 calls that I wasn't available, or that I was at work, like many are? My ad states to please call or email and set up an appointment. I do not board horses here or offer lessons. This really freaked me out. No one was home, and this guy stopped by. My address is not listed, but he decided to stop at the tack store down the road and they told him my address. I only have my town listed on my ads, not my street address.

I called him back and asked him if I knew him. He said no he was calling about my horse. I asked him why he came over with no appointment. He said because he worked out this way. I explained to him that this is a private farm and I require an appointment. I also require a trainer to come out if his daughter is under 18, and he didn't even know her trainers name. I explained to him that I just don't let anyone come out and try my horses out. I need to know what type of horse you are looking for first. He just wants something that jumps. I said you really need to get with your trainer and figure out what you are looking for, temperment, age, height and what level. He wanted to come back out today, and I said no I am not available. He asked when I would be available and I said probably not until next week, I will have to call you back. He was just not happy with this answer, and wanted to know what I was doing that I wouldn't be available. I did not explain myself, instead I asked him again why he thought it was ok to stop by my farm again without permission. I told him this is not an acceptable thing to do to people, that he needs to start making appointments and doing things the right way.

Just irritating, especially since my ad states to make an appointment. Plus he called 7 times and I didn't answer. Even if I did answer, I probably wouldn't have let him come out that day. He has no idea what he is looking for and he is not consulting his trainer at all.

Just imagine what that guy's wife goes through if that's how he interacts with strangers

I would have been very nervous about that caller too, but it would be that he was so insistent that he know when you would be home and when you would be elsewhere, and why. I know I'm kind of paranoid these days, but it would worry me that the tack store is giving my address out to someone they don't know, and a stranger to you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Wow. I'd have a tlk with the feed store also. You don't just give people others addresses. But then again who knows what he told them. He probably said he was suppose to come see your horse but is lost. They thought they were helping. I'd find out. This is why we have security cameras.just can't trust people these days
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Ick that's kind of scary....

I'm right there with JanM.

Step 1: Talk to the feedstore and explain the situation. It was probably just a naive error on an employee's part, but addresses shouldn't be given out to just anyone who asks. If they have an address and need help finding it, okay. If they only have a name and no address, that warrants some further digging. "Do you have business with her? Have you tried calling?" This is an employee education issue.

Step 2: Alert your neighbors. This guy's actions are not within the realm of "normal" behavior.

Step 3: Don't call him back or answer the calls. The guy sounds like a kook and a half, and you really don't need to being doing business with a kook and half.

Step 4: If he shows back up under similar circumstances, alert the police.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

That would have unsettled me too. I dont give an address without an appt, just for that reason --- however, its still just as hard to have folks be ontime -- and Im not talking about being late.---- but early.!

I had a dad call, wanting an appt, but this trainer wasnt available -- said he'd come get video's of his daughter riding and then let the trainer review - ... I declined, much to his surprise...!

Heres something that will give you a chuckle!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstN2...eature=related
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I spoke with the feed store and they were under the impression that the guy was lost. I am a little confused as to how the guy found out what road I was on to begin with, but I'm sure if you google my barn or my name enough you will probably find it. Also if you do just a google map search on my town, because it is so small, it sends you right to my road to begin with.

We have problems lately with kids tp'ing houses around here, and break ins during the day. Neighbors already know to call about snooping people if they see them, and we do the same for them. They don't know anything about horses, but they also know to call if one gets out or if something with one of them doesn't look right.

Maybe I read too much on the internet, but I agree that I am paranoid too. I stopped using craigslist for anything after watching too many lifetime movies

Quote Originally Posted by brightskyfarm View Post

Heres something that will give you a chuckle!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xstN2...eature=related
    Chuckle?! Are you kidding me, I almost peed my pants! That was hilarious. I have had that conversations so many times

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    Step 2: Alert your neighbors. This guy's actions are not within the realm of "normal" behavior.

No, his actions are in the Special Dad Twisted Around Sweet Snookumchild's Little Finger realm.

How do I know?
    Take the Dad who pulled his truck onto my property to ask if his 12yo daughter could board her yearling with me.

I have just 2 stalls & at the time had one horse and a freebie pony on the way.

I pointed out this shortage to him.
    He didn't seem to think that math made any difference.

Or that a 12yo was possibly not totally safe to be handling a yearling on a private farm? Without benefit of trainer?

Or that I might not be thrilled to babysit both his yearling & his daughter?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Ahhh, the joys of modern life. There are so many obsessive/compulsive/bi-polar people out there these days. They want things done NOW! It's hard to get through to them that you also have a life and the world doesn't revolve around them. My sympathy. As a customer service person, I deal with these people everyday. You have to get them to take a breath and then proceed. As someone else said, pity his poor wife.

This sounds to me like some kind of a scam thing. Hopefully you'll hear no more from him........
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Sounds like he could also be a dad excited about finding "the one" for his daughter and clueless about the protocol.

We've turned into a paranoid world.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Sounds like he could also be a dad excited about finding "the one" for his daughter and clueless about the protocol.

We've turned into a paranoid world.
    I think that is exactly it, and they must be somewhat new to the horse world. He was telling me that their first horse died after they only owned it a year because its throat kept swelling from people injecting it too much. Not sure what that really means.

Talked to a few people and the guy has showed up at their place too. Guess their trainer hasn't informed them of the proper way of doing things. He will learn quickly, because in these parts some people shoot first and ask questions later.