The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default breeding equipment recommendations

I've decided that after huge vet bills and no pregnancy this year that I'm going to do my own breeding in 2013. I've done them in the past through vet school and when I first graduated, but the last 10 years have focused solely small animal. I am trying to get my place ready now so am in need of the following:

stocks (i'd prefer used ones of possible). Recommendations of where to search? Or brands you like? I am in NC and have been scouring CL and the like.

liquid nitrogen tank and equipment (gloves, forceps,etc). Haven't decided if it is best to get a dry shipper/ liquid nitrogen combo tank or just have the liquid nitrogen tank and transfer the straws once shipped to my place. Opinions? I am sort of afraid if I purchase a "real" tank I will become a collector of frozen semen! So maybe best to have the combo type that I use just for the season and then store it until the next year...but only if it as functional and easy to use.

For those that keep their own tanks where are you purchasing your liquid nitrogen?

ultrasound. I'd like to get a fairly decent one and get two probes...one for breeding and another for small animal applications so I can use it at my hospital as well. And recommendations? I have contacted Universal, but am open to other suppliers.

All the other smaller supplies I can order through work so am good there.

I'm sure I am missing a ton of items in my preparation (why I am starting so early!).

keep an eye on the bulletin board of www.equine-reproduction.com
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com