The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Stallion Suggestions?

Okay, so I have some suggestions already but I want to try to think out of the box for my mare. She is registered and branded Danish and is by Willemoes and her dam sire is Rambo. She has performance blood lines, are her mare is a Grand Prix dressage horse and her stallion was a grand prix jumper who has produced some nice dressage horses also. She is young and I plan on doing an embryo transfer on her next year while she does the young horse classes. My main goal for this foal would of course be getting to Grand Prix in dressage. I am not looking for a young horse classes winner, but more of bloodlines that are proven for Grand Prix. Overall, she is very nice. She has three very solid and good gaits and her canter and walk is very very nice and her trot is not super huge but still very nice. She has an amazing temperament and is very willing and sensible but still can get hot off your aids. She will probably top out around 17'1 hands. She has a very well set neck and maybe a little wide behind, but besides that is built very well. She is not very refined in stature and does not looking like some of the very refined warmbloods coming out right now .It has been suggested for me to breed her to Don Schufro, but I am a little afraid of the size I might get. But Donna Silver would be a very similar cross to the foal then, and that would not be a bad thing. I was also thinking of Diamond Hit or maybe another similar stallion. If I could improve her, I think she could have a bit quicker of a hind leg, more of a back mover and could be bred to a hotter stallion. I want to breed her to a proven stallion. The foal will be mine, and I like them more reactive off your aids. Thanks for any suggestions!

You say she is not very refined, but do you WANT more refined? Since the foal will be yours, you should breed for what you want.
    Don Schufro will likely add both height and substance- you could get a giant! Diamond Hit also adds height and is not terribly refined. If you want a D-line stallion, I would go with Dancier since he is small and more refined, with a quick hindleg. He has an excellent temperament and has some Lauries Crusador blood, which sounds like it could be a good thing for you.

When I read most of your post, I was thinking Weltmeyer but when you say she could be bred to a hotter stallion did you mean "plenty of responsiveness" or "lots of TB blood"?

No, I don't necessarily want more refined, but I don't want the foal to get much more substance. I like the way she is now quite honestly. Actually her Dam's dam sire (I know there is probably a better way to write that) is a TB, so she does has some lighter blood in her now. Also, Rambo's dam is a Trakehner. My mare was at a clinic a few months ago and it with one of the Danish olympians and he said she was the nicest Willemoes offspring he has seen here or in Denmark. I know I am a bit afraid of the giant I could get breeding her to Don Schufro, but it is a pretty proven cross. I will ask a few other proven breeders of their opinions, but I thought a more objective audience could be helpful considering some breeders are suggesting their own stallions. How would Lauries Crusader be good for her (just for my education). I meant hotter, as plenty of responsiveness. She is a very rare mix of sensible, forward and reactive and I don't want the foal to loose any of that and hopefully only improve on that . If anything I can ride a horse who is a bit more reactive which is important for the FEI. This foal won't need to be AA friendly.

Any other suggestions?

What about Don Principe? Donnerhall with Prince Thatchxx blood. Proven GP stallion and offspring starting well under saddle and climbing the levels.
    He tends to throw the mare's height, is refining, considering he is Donnerhall, and throws a super walk and great canter. Good hindleg,very responsive to the seat and leg. Light in the bridle.
    He does not give the impression of "hot" but every GP rider who has ever worked with him loves that about him, kind but reactive.
    If interested, contact Hilltop Farm as thye now stand him for us.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I didn't mean L.C. specifically would be good, but just his addition of TB blood. Warmbloods tend to get heavier over generations unless you maintain the infusion of TB, AA, etc.

I love Don Schufro (and Don Romantic, who tends to throw lighter than himself- though still tall) so if you are willing to risk the size, then go for it!

If you haven't looked into Dancier, he really might be a good match. Also, what about Jazz? You can't get more proven than that! Ferro also comes to mind...

ps It is really hard for me to make suggestions without seeing a conformation photo!

I will look into your stallion Don Principe, I have always admired him. And Trinity, I PM'd you a confo shot of my mare. Thanks for the suggestions.

What about DeNiro or Desperados?

If you look at this list, you will get an inkling of the bloodlines that made up the horses nominated for the London Olympics.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/at...1&d=1341853357

As you can see, there are a good number of De Niro offspring there, so I would certainly second that recommendation to try for an upper level prospect (you may not get a back mover, though).

Jazz may also work - as Trinity said, you can't get much more proven than that. Out of the box suggestions are Johnson (Jazz/Flemmingh), and that young stallion Zonik (Zack / Romanov). Pedigree on the latter reads like a who's who of dressage breeding - Rousseau (Ferro), Jazz (Cocktail), Romanov (Rohdiamant), Don Schufro (Donnerhall). Negro might be another interesting idea.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Is De Niro know to throw more of a leg mover? Thanks!

You might consider Dressage Royal, who is a 3/4 brother to Damon Hill.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist