The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Miniature Farm Equipment

Having seen a lot of posts about using lawn mowers, small equipment for small acreages, I thought folks might be interested in the variety of miniature equipment that mimics large farm equipment, appears to actually work! The Youtubes are showing such equipment, appear to be European, where small amounts of land are used heavily. I guess I can see the need to fit between the tight spaces of a vinyard or orchards to mow and save the grass. Even the little combine for tiny acreages or soft ground that would bog down large machines.

Anyway, they were cute. LOVE the tiny bales you can probably pick up with one hand! The walk-behind "tractors" are quite different because I never see stuff like that. Appear quite powerful, maybe easier to use on rough or steep ground on those little farms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-Hl...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGajsWDdRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMK3O...eature=related

And with this combine, you could harvest your oats out of the back yard! Why waste that small space on lawn grass? Maybe harvest grass seed, to replant your pasture instead of buying the high priced stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICujA...=UL4PT0wi87xlQ

I had a good time watching them show how they work. Who knows, might be just perfect for your needs!! Tamara, don't laugh too hard!!

LOL, the mini combine actually has/had a real purpose: back in the day my uncle did experimental plantings of grain, not sure exactly for whom, but anyhow, he had a small patch in his field where he put out different seeds in areas not bigger than a large garden bed. Then they brought a mini combine in like that, harvested each patch for itself so they could annalyse the quality of the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

in the beginning of round balers they were 60-100kb rounds and they were left in the fields until the snow fell and the animals were turned out on to them :>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

in the winter I spend a good deal of time admiring the small holder machinery from europe...I wish I was a dealer here for half the stuff :>

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMK3O...eature=related

We already have the walk behind featured. Bought it from those folks, they're an hour away.
    We haven't got enough hayable land to warrant the baler, although DH has been fishing for it.
    I pooh-poohed the idea at first but after seeing the limitations of the tractor even with implements, we had to get a little tiller and a crappy walk behind mower just to work on this very steep place, we forked over a tax refund and currently it sees about twice the use of the tractor. All the lighter weight garden stuff, tight space or steep bush hogging and finish mowing. DH also modified a TSC ATV dump cart and we haul feed, manure, rocks and compost with that.

Niche market, but it's out there.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jul. 10, 2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: wrong darned one
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

oh MAN, those are too awesome!!
    i would LOVE to have any one of those balers.....just amazing

I am *dying* to know how that mini-baler works. I intend to do small scale haying and grain growing on my hobby farm when I get it going next year.

I've seen some manual hay balers on the web, intended for use in the third world, and have been daydreaming how I would add power to it.

The mini combine-harvester titillates my engineering glands immensely, and I would SO attempt to build one if I knew the operating design that strips the grain off the stem, and separates the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    in the winter I spend a good deal of time admiring the small holder machinery from europe...I wish I was a dealer here for half the stuff :>

Tamara
    could you be?

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    could you be?
    it is possible sure.

Tamara