The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Those of you who are somewhat "vain" or particular about tack...

...and like to use a leather lead line to match your horse's show halter, how do you attach the lead if you horse doesn't require a chain over its nose?

I'd like to get a nice leather matching lead when I order what will be my mare's show halter, but I'm wondering how I'll attach it in an aesthetically pleasing way. I hate just attaching it "reguarly" with the chain hanging down... I don't have a horse that requires a chain over her nose at all times (though it will be handy to have as I always bring an extra chain lead line when we leave the property just "in case")... I don't like the look of the chain underneath the halter (seems a bit too Quarter Horse-y for me)... and I've heard the horror stories of doubling the chain back on itself (horse getting hoof stuck in loop of the chain while grazing).

I'm thinking the last option wouldn't be much of a risk as long as it was used appropriately? Ie, not while grazing, haha.

This may sound like an odd request but I'm hoping maybe some of you have a secret, pretty way to sport a nice leather and chain lead line.

Get a shank custom made with just a snap, no chain. That is what I did for leadline classes. Then I actually decided to go with a racing type lead, two snaps to clip one on each side of the bit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I found a leather lead without a chain. They are out there. Not entirely sure where.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Get a shank custom made with just a snap, no chain. That is what I did for leadline classes. Then I actually decided to go with a racing type lead, two snaps to clip one on each side of the bit
    I have a couple leads that are leather with just a single snap, no chain. I want to say at least one came from Quillans?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have always wondered about that myself. It seems like the leads are just good for posing in pictures, because it's just not good horsemanship to have the chain attached to the lead but not to be using it. Not vanity at all.

To me, it would be just as aesthetically pleasing to have a new cotton lead rope dedicated for show use so it doesn't fade or unravel.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    To me, it would be just as aesthetically pleasing to have a new cotton lead rope dedicated for show use so it doesn't fade or unravel.
    I've always gone this route, but recently I've been hankering for a leather one. Only the best for the sophisticated princess...

Thanks for the tips on leather leads without chain; I've never seen them. In my head, they look a little funny, but I'll check out Google and see what I can find. I'm actually planning on ordering my mare's show halter from Quillin, so perhaps it's meant to be.

Bartville Harness Shop in PA will make them. They are Amish, so you would have to call and leave a message. I don't have the number handy. You probably also have some Amish-type leather goods places near you also that will make them.

Your mare will only know she has a chain over her nose if you use it.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Smartpak has the lead without the chain:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/leathe...x?cm_vc=Search

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Your mare will only know she has a chain over her nose if you use it.
    Please, let's not get this thread going in that direction. I am perfectly happy to use chains (over the nose and other places, if circumstances arise!) when I need it, or when I think I MAY need it. But I don't use them regularly on my mare and I really see no reason to permanently install one over her nose. Plus, I don't really like the way it looks so I'm looking for aesthetically pleasing alternatives for those photo moments. Sue me!

Default Koper Equine!

A local business here custom makes leads, brow bands, rein stops etc etc. They are beautifuly crafted and she offers several different shades of leather and even brass or chrome chains or snaps. Highly recommended!

www.koperequine.com

I put mine under the chin and then loop back to the lead. Only about three inches hang in total and it looks nice. I hate leather leads as they are a pain to hold on to when the horse flips out. But eh to each thier own.

Other have posted the ones that I would reccomend.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I don't care for chains either unless I need one. I heard a pretty horrible accident at Devon many years ago when a horse stepped in the chain and got caught (it was looped under the chin but not twisted) and at the last schooling show I went to, TWO (yes, count 'em- TWO) horses BROKE their chains and got loose. If I don't need the chain, I prefer my lead without it. Less thinner pieces of metal to potentially break and simpler to deal with.
    ~Veronica

you can run the chain thru the metal halter loop (where you would usually clip a lead rope to) & then clip it back to itself where the chain begains and hooks onto the leather lead. It that makes sense.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Tack Shack in Ocala and it has a nameplate with my initials on it, thank you very much
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Please, let's not get this thread going in that direction. I am perfectly happy to use chains (over the nose and other places, if circumstances arise!) when I need it, or when I think I MAY need it. But I don't use them regularly on my mare and I really see no reason to permanently install one over her nose. Plus, I don't really like the way it looks so I'm looking for aesthetically pleasing alternatives for those photo moments. Sue me!
    Hey, it's a perfectly legitimate observation which you are free to use or ignore at your discretion. And more importantly, I can promise you LaurieP will not care one iota even if you desperately needed a chainshank and ended up skiing through traffic trying to hang on to your horse for want of it's use. Nope, I promise she will not care.
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Quote Originally Posted by pwrpfflynn View Post
    you can run the chain thru the metal halter loop (where you would usually clip a lead rope to) & then clip it back to itself where the chain begains and hooks onto the leather lead. It that makes sense.
    That is how it was attached when the hose hooked a leg through and had the calamity at Devon. If you do this, twist the chain around itself so it's not an open loop.
    ~Veronica

To those mentioning looping it back, that is my normal instinct, and it's what I meant by doubling it back on itself (and the issues with horses getting a hoof caught in it while grazing, etc). I've been thinking about doing this with a shorter chain so the "loop" isn't big enough for issues like that... I didn't however, think about the chain being less sturdy than the clasp and having the horse get loose as vxf mentioned.

I suppose I am having a hard time picture the aesthetics of a leather halter + a leather lead without chain. Even seeing some links, I still picture it as looking funny. Does anyone have any photos of their horses w/ the leather lead? Haha, picky, I know.

I may just stick with a regular cotton lead if I can't satisfy my inner OCD-esque monster, but I'd really like to be happy with a leather + leather combo!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That is how it was attached when the hose hooked a leg through and had the calamity at Devon. If you do this, twist the chain around itself so it's not an open loop.
    Huh, I've never heard of the twisting, just the stories and the "stay away from doubling!". Neat.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Hey, it's a perfectly legitimate observation which you are free to use or ignore at your discretion. And more importantly, I can promise you LaurieP will not care one iota even if you desperately needed a chainshank and ended up skiing through traffic trying to hang on to your horse for want of it's use. Nope, I promise she will not care.
    Perhaps, but I can also request that this thread remain a "what do you do for leather leads" vs whether or not you should have a chain over a horse's nose.