The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need muzzle help ASAP!

Have to order muzzles today to make sure they are here by the weekend. I've only used muzzles once, bought one of the best friends for my mini years ago which he hated because he could get nothing through the hole. Very interested in the easy breathe ones, like the size of the whole and that it seems more open than and cooler than the BF.

I have 3 large ponies that wear cob sized halters and bridles, but horse sized fly masks.

One mini, and one small headed and small muzzled small pony.

What sizes should I order?

I'd recommend you call the company that makes the one your interested in just to be sure.

My horses can gain weight on a Best Friends muzzle. I do believe they begin to acquire some "skills" after awhile.

ponysize is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

It appears they are made by Tough 1, which I can't find any company information from, so was hoping to get sizing ideas from those here who have bought them and can give their recommendation.

Default This ad gives sizes

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have the regular tough ones for my mini's, started with the pony and it was too big. I wouldn't use the breathe easy ones on them since they hoover down plenty with the tiny hole. My 14.2 horse has the breathe easy in horse size and it is big, but the yearly one is too small. The bucket on the breathe easy one is also shallower, so some horses learn to push the nose down. I solved that using a piece of baling twine. Overall I am quite happy with the Tough 1 muzzles. I have pictures on this FB page...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=49dfd7da17

ponysize is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

I ended up ordering the mini sizes for the mini and small pony (small pony has a tiny muzzle and head) and horse sizes for the 3 large ponies. Had a BF muzzle for the mini years ago and he hated it. Getting ready to move and will have horses in different areas over the next couple of weeks and while I will be able to restrict access for the two smalls some, the larges will go from decent sized paddocks with nibble grass to 15 acres of taller grass for a week or two.