The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you let your daughter...

get a buzz cut, or cut her hair into a 'boy' cut?

I follow 'Princess Free Zone' on facebook, which is all about bucking the trend for girls to be placed in the princess box. Sometimes I think the founder gets a little bit over-zealous in her mission, but I admire her dedication and support of her non-frilly daughter.

Recently, her daughter asked for a short-short hair cut, like a boy's. They went to a salon and had it done. Now for the summer, she agreed to her daughter getting buzzed.

Opinions? Experiences with kids who buck the gender stereotypes?

While I'm in no way a 'tomboy' kind of girl, I like to think I'd be so supportive of my daughter, if she just wasn't into the girly-frilly-princess thing. Haircut included.

Hopefully we'll get a few replies before OT day closes, otherwise it'll just have to wait!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Sure, it's hair, it'll grow back if she hates it.

If we had a way back machine, I could show you the almost buzz I got when I got tired of my mohawk.

It was very short, platinum with bright pink tips. It was actually a very feminine buzz.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Absolutely. Once she's old enough to make choices, a girl's hair is up to her.

I hold the same opinion with my son, who tends to wear his hair long. The only exception was coming into the summer - he has a VERY high metabolism, sweats buckets, and is now a runner. That combination means that Mom says some of it has to go. (And if he keeps complaining about the heat, the rest of it's gonna go, too....)

I'm not a fan of the "boy hair" and "girl hair" business. Hair doesn't define gender.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DD had a very short pixie when she was younger, but since she was like 4, I have been letting her pick what she gets done to her hair. It is her hair, as long as she doesn't get bangs, I don't care. (Too short a forehead, and growing them out is a PITA)

DS wears nailpolish on his fingers and toes, and just picked out some strawberry lipgloss at Target.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Absolutely. There are plenty of female role models with very short hair, and plently of kids who have short hair, esp those who like to play sports. I think the daughter should have the kind of hair she wants. No pressure either way (long or short).
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

My mom did. Although, I guess pixie cuts aren't quite the same as a boy cut...are they? I don't know, y'all be the judge:
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...45737043_n.jpg
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

It's just hair. It will almost surely grow back.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

While some little girls love long hair, in other cases I think it's their parents who somehow live vicariously through it. If the kid wants a short cut, for crying out loud - it'll grow back soon enough.

I actually went behind my mom's back and had most of mine chopped off (she took me to our haircutter and left me while she ran errands - I kept telling her to go shorter and shorter, I really wish I had a picture of poor mom's face when she saw me) because I grew resentful that she wanted me to keep my hair long. And mine was only like mid-shoulderblade!

I didn't get a buzz but had really short hair at one time. It would have qualified as a 'boy cut' A lot of women sport short hair. besides in 99% of all cases it grows back
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Natalie Portman was no less of a woman with her head shaved for V for Vendetta!

I'd be leery of a totally buzzed cut if she has light or fine hair, only because she may unfortunately be mistaken for a very ill child. But a short pixie-type cut for summer? Go for it, kiddo.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Nice thing about hair is it grows out. I am a bit 'old-fashioned' in that parents should have the final word up until around 10 or so.
    Experimenting with hair length is normal for pre-teens and teens, both male and female. Not to mention the kids push harder when an adult makes a big deal out of their hair.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

:-) I'm pleased to say I'm not really surprised with the consensus thus far!
    What about, and one person has mentioned, a boy growing his hair long (supposing the school doesn't have a rule against it, which mine did)? What about a boy wearing/playing dress up in girls clothing?

My take is that i would hate for the boy to be ridiculed, especially if he's really young. It'd be almost impossible to stop that from happening outside of when I was directly with him, so I'd probably try to encourage him to wear those things just around home.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I do it every summer. I'm due in for a maintenance trim this week. It's hair. It grows in again. If kids want it short, let them have it short.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Buzz cuts for barn rats of either sex should be mandatory in the summer Because helmet hair is just awful!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    What about, and one person has mentioned, a boy growing his hair long (supposing the school doesn't have a rule against it, which mine did)? What about a boy wearing/playing dress up in girls clothing?

My take is that i would hate for the boy to be ridiculed, especially if he's really young. It'd be almost impossible to stop that from happening outside of when I was directly with him, so I'd probably try to encourage him to wear those things just around home.
    I'd let him have at it. I would take care to explain to the kiddo (in an age-appropriate manner) that sometimes people have opinions about the things we do, and while things like clothes and hair are just silly things, those people might have hurtful opinions. Then leave it up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I'd let him have at it. I would take care to explain to the kiddo (in an age-appropriate manner) that sometimes people have opinions about the things we do, and while things like clothes and hair are just silly things, those people might have hurtful opinions. Then leave it up to him.
    Hair is a hot topic tonight

I would never do it to myself because I have an enormous head, and would be surprised if my daughter chose that route because she loves her long hair, but I'm not really one to care.. And I agree, if it's bad, it'll grow.

I have a customer though that's almost 6ft tall.. She had long hair when she came to me and walked into the barn one day and had whacked it all off. I was SHOCKED because it was such a change but she is so tall and thin with beautiful features and nothing to "hide" (like me lol) with long hair and it is stunning on her. She is a beautiful child. I would not even call it pixie.. It is REALLY short, but it is perfect for her and I can't imagine her otherwise.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

I don't think I wold feel I had the right to dictate whether she could or could not.
    It is just not the way we think.

it's hair. If she gets it all cut off and hates it, then she learned something with no permanent damage. If she loves it, it's easier to care for.

it's all good either way.

if experimenting with the length, color or style of her hair is the only thing she ever experiments with....you are lucky

More power to her!!!!!
    I'm always one to challenge gender stereotypes....they do our country a huge disservice.