The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OMG, I did something so stupid today...Updated with stupid thing!

that could have ended up in a major horse-related disaster. Thank goodness crisis was averted. I would say what it was, but I would get toasted. LOL Just DUMB. Hindsight 20/20 and all that. UGH.

_______

ok, here it is:

I took the baby* for his daily constitutional. He's a little off on the left front, so I just took him to the equestrian park down the hill from where he lives with his mama... there was a western horse show going on, and he can hear is mama calling him from the barn. So now there's a lot going on and he wants to run around, because that's why he usually goes to the park. All the arenas were busy with the horse show. A-ha!, thinks me. There's a new little arena they just built out of sight from the show, maybe nobody's using it.

So I go down to the new arena and yay! it's empty. It's also gateless! No biggie, thinks me. (I've actually done this before with OLDER horses.) I'll just turn him out, he can buck, fart, and roll, and then go back home.

I should mention they've been repaving the streets, so they parked all the monster trucks at the park. So we have horse show, mama calling, monster trucks, nervous baby, and an arena with no gate. Awesome.

I turn him out, he immediately charges me trying to get through the gate. I had a dressage whip with me, thank god for that. I swished it at him, so he ran off bucking, mad as can be, (no doubt thinking CANOE YOU!) he wanted out of that gate. It was at this point I finally figured out this was a bad idea.

I panicked thinking he was going to get out and then there would be a loose horse running around the park with the show on. He kept charging the gate space and I kept swishing him. Luckily no one from the show could see it. LOL There were a couple trail riders that went by though.

Anyhoo, he stopped and I walked up to him, but I was shaking so bad and didn't have the halter ready, he tried to get out the gate again, but I stopped him. He ran and bucked again and then stopped. So this time I was ready, I got him captured and we walked home.

I will say he'd make a good cow cutter when he's older.

so I went home and sat shaking for about 30 mins, but all's well that ends well and I guess in the end he did get to buck and fart.
    Last edited by pal-o-mino; Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

I would bet pretty much everyone could post this at one time or another. Hopefully you won't ever do it again so lesson learned, which is a good thing!

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Nononononononono..... You can't post that and not tell us the dumb thing! Unless it would indict you in a crime you must confess and take your COTH I told you so looks and lectures from all of the omnipresent wisdom holders here.

So what was it? Forgot to unsnap the trailer tie before dropping the but bar.
    Left a bucket heater plugged in so long the water dried up and the bucket melted? Oh I know! You traveled cross town with your trailer hitch coupler open!!!
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Sitting helmet less on a loose, green horse in a barb wire enclosed pasture?? You took up Parelli?? WHAT IS IT!?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

1 members found this post helpful.

Did you forget to lock all the paddock gates and feed room, so all the ponies got in and made themselves even fatter? Did you mistake Corona ointment for toothpaste?

Subbing cos I have to know, because whatever it is it isn't as bad as my Saturday was
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Did you tie your horse to a picnic table, and then witness the flight of said picnic table?

(True story. )

Did you ... nearly burn down your own horse float (trailer) with your own blondeness?

Did you take your horse off the trailer in a Burger King parking lot to "stretch his legs" and have him break his halter and gallop all over the Maine Turnpike?

You better tell or we will keep coming up with more DUMB things we've done. Spill it, please!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    that could have ended up in a major horse-related disaster. Thank goodness crisis was averted. I would say what it was, but I would get toasted. LOL Just DUMB. Hindsight 20/20 and all that. UGH.
    lol-------- think next time

[quote=dani0303;6426771]
    You took up Parelli??

Smart people learn from their mistakes.
    Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

Help us be wise

And, yes, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US has done something stupid. We are humans
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Bump. Have mercy on me!

Yeah, that was a good one.

You’re right, that was a whole lot of stupid. I probably would have stayed schtum on that, if it were me.

LOL, Why GoodyTwo? All is well that ended well, and I feel for the OP, I can imagine only to well how she felt in those minutes.

I only to well remember the glorious day we spent trying to round up our 120 cows when DH made the ultimate statement that he will never live down

"Yes we can move the cows into the new field, I can get to the gate at the bottom and close it before they get there"

I guess if they had done their usual thing of going in through one gate, and spreading out and eating he would of made it to the bottom gate before them. The fact that they as a beautifully coordinated bunch went straight from gate A to gate B in a dead run, made that impossible.....

As a little kid, needing a bathroom break, I tied my horse to the bench by the door and ran into the house.
    All was fine, until the horse, grazing around the bench, stretched the leadrope more and more reaching further.
    The bench started stalking the horse, that decided it was dangerous after all.
    Horse took off, bench chasing right behind, while the horse was kicking said bench to smithereens and they were flattening anything in their path.

That is a mistake I never made again.

Glad you could get your horse back without mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post

_______

ok, here it is:

I took the baby* for his daily constitutional. He's a little off on the left front, so I just took him to the equestrian park down the hill from where he lives with his mama... there was a western horse show going on, and he can hear is mama calling him from the barn. So now there's a lot going on and he wants to run around, because that's why he usually goes to the park. All the arenas were busy with the horse show. A-ha!, thinks me. There's a new little arena they just built out of sight from the show, maybe nobody's using it.

So I go down to the new arena and yay! it's empty. It's also gateless! No biggie, thinks me. (I've actually done this before with OLDER horses.) I'll just turn him out, he can buck, fart, and roll, and then go back home.

I should mention they've been repaving the streets, so they parked all the monster trucks at the park. So we have horse show, mama calling, monster trucks, nervous baby, and an arena with no gate. Awesome.

I turn him out, he immediately charges me trying to get through the gate. I had a dressage whip with me, thank god for that. I swished it at him, so he ran off bucking, mad as can be, (no doubt thinking CANOE YOU!) he wanted out of that gate. It was at this point I finally figured out this was a bad idea.

I panicked thinking he was going to get out and then there would be a loose horse running around the park with the show on. He kept charging the gate space and I kept swishing him. Luckily no one from the show could see it. LOL There were a couple trail riders that went by though.

Anyhoo, he stopped and I walked up to him, but I was shaking so bad and didn't have the halter ready, he tried to get out the gate again, but I stopped him. He ran and bucked again and then stopped. So this time I was ready, I got him captured and we walked home.

I will say he'd make a good cow cutter when he's older.

so I went home and sat shaking for about 30 mins, but all's well that ends well and I guess in the end he did get to buck and fart.
    Glad you were able to catch said baby. No harm done. Deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    LOL, Why GoodyTwo? All is well that ended well, and I feel for the OP, I can imagine only to well how she felt in those minutes.

I only to well remember the glorious day we spent trying to round up our 120 cows when DH made the ultimate statement that he will never live down

"Yes we can move the cows into the new field, I can get to the gate at the bottom and close it before they get there"

I guess if they had done their usual thing of going in through one gate, and spreading out and eating he would of made it to the bottom gate before them. The fact that they as a beautifully coordinated bunch went straight from gate A to gate B in a dead run, made that impossible.....
    He's a man. Nuff said! LOL!

OP, that is something I can imagine happening to me.