The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A/C Temp In Summer--what do you set yours at?

What temp do you set your thermostat at in the summer? Im told to set my central air at 78 degrees--- If I did that, I'd roast to death! I have mine set at 70 in the summer and 74 in the winter. Im so confused, when I hear people say they set theirs at 78 in the summer, or is there something wrong with my unit??

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I keep mine at 74-76 in the summer and 68 in the winter. And for several months I just use windows to regulate temp. But when you work outside, it isn't great for your health to come in to a room 30 degrees cooler than the outside. And in the winter, I'm wearing long sleeves anyways, so no need to keep the house too warm
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I am usually at 75 consistently over the summer though because it doesn't cool our upstairs very well, in this recent heat wave I put it down to 73 at night so I could sleep and not sweat. In the winter, I have the heat generally set on 68-70 depending on how frigid it is outside.

While I would love to lower mine, I have mine set at 78 this summer. Last summer it was at 72, but this past winter my money situation tightened considerably and I lowered my heat and now am raising my cooling temp.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Whew y'all would roast me out of the house! 68 ish during the summer, 72 in the winter. We have an old (100 + yr old house) and the vents are iffy sometimes. The rooms are always different temps. But I get quite upset if I wake up in the middle of the night and it's hot. It will keep me up all night.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

71, much colder (65 at night). 65 in the winter and down to 60 at night.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

65-68 summer; 70 winter. My money; my choice.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

78 summer; 68 winter, but much colder at night--60, IIRC. I have a programmable thermostat, and never change it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

78 during the day; 74 at night. I don't find 78 warm at all, but our house is well insulated, and I am always cold.

I dream of central airconditioning.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I live in a house built in 1904 which has no AC and I couldn't imagine living with it. If you play the windows and shades right, the house stays just nicely cooler than the outside air without the stress of artificial adaptation every time you go in or out. Those old-timers knew from "feng shui!"

In summer, the a/c is set at 80-82. It *feels* cold when you come in when its 90-100 and humid outside, lol.

In winter, the heat is set at 60-62, but we have a wood stove that we use quite a bit when it gets really cold/windy outside.

79 in the summer, and we turn it off at night and open windows if it's supposed to be cooler than that. 69 in winter, and we turn it off during the day if it's sunny.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I do not have AC - by choice. And it isn't that my house is nicely cool without it; other folks find my house unbearable. But since I live here alone, I might as well suit my tastes. And I live in an area of 100-degree summers. We're just finishing about 3 weeks straight of it. I've been fine. I do have two fans, one for the dog (floor level at her spot), one for the cats (at their perch spot). They use those.

When I moved to my project farm and was buying, it had been low-level rental property for decades. The last renters in it had left in the middle of the night and stole the AC and took it with them, so the owner agent offered me a brand spanking new central AC along with the deal. I turned it down because, as I said, "Buying AC for me is a total waste of money."

I do definitely have heating. In the winter, I keep the thermostat at 65. I would love to have it about 85, but for utilities, I go with 65 and multiple blankets and sweaters.

But in the summer, nope. It's been 13 years since I turned down free central AC. Not once have I missed it.

My little house is stucco (and probably cinder block or brick under that...I don't know for sure), so it is pretty well insulate (my employers have also done a decent job of modernizing some of the weatherproofing, too). It also has great shade trees. I got quite a ways into the summer before I even turned on the AC.

I typically run it at 76 during the day, and 68 at night (I would NEVER sleep if it was at 76 over night...I still wake up warm some night at 68!). It may vary a little bit depending on the outside temperature (76 has felt like an ice box the last few days with temps well into the 90s and even over 100, but this evening after a very nice, refreshing storm, the outside temp dropped to 80 and 76 feels a wee bit stuffy).

In the winter, I run it during the day usually around 65. I'll turn it up a bit in the evening (maybe as warm as 72 for awhile if I'm cold), but then I crank it WAY down to about 60 to sleep. Funny to me how the two different types of climate control feel so different to me! I would be blue if I cranked my AC down to 60, and I would burst into flames if I tried to sleep with it at 68 in the winter!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I try to keep it locked on 74 unless there's a reason to go further up or down. The heating/cooling design in my home is not great and can't be changed without gutting the whole interior so I have to make due with what I can get out of it and dress accordingly.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Central Alabama.

AC is 75 or 76 during the day, 73 at night.

Winter it's set at 68 I think. Ask me again when it's not 100 degrees.

We built this house 10 years ago and power bills for 2400 SF run about 110 in the summer, nothing crazy. I do have a programmable thermostat so it can be 85 M-Fr from 9-4

72 in the summer and 68 in the winter. Winter it drops to 60 for the overnight.

Our system is poorly designed and setting the AC to 72 means that the den where we spend most of our time is at 74/75 which is on the warmish side for me.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I live alone (mostly.)
    80+ in summer.
    60-minus in winter.
    My house is new (Y2K) and 2x6 construction and well situated with a porch and southern exposure and blinds and decidious trees etc. so stays verrrrry comfy even at the barely-use-it AC setting; and in winter, I have 2 wood stoves and a fireplace and just ... put on a sweater if chilly.
    Houseguests?
    Of **course** I go to more normal settings.
    But for me alone, I love the thought of my little electric meter turning verrrrrry slowly.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

DH is fairly hot natured, so our house is at 73 during the summer, and he drops it down to 71 at night. During winter it's in the low 60s, and I am happy to bundle up in my yoga pants/hoodie with a pup and a blanket.
    Full-time bargain hunter.