The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Mare - Potential as a Sport Horse Broodmare?

Any thoughts on this mare's pedigree: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=7291131?

The mare herself is a big-boned 17.1hh. She has lovely hunter-type movement, a huge stride, a good temperament and big heart, and is very athletic.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Yes, a hundred times yes. Tail female to Laughter and Shenanigans and sire's tail female is equally good. Eastover Court is a half to Two Punch. Mixing those two mare lines should make her x chromosome very powerful indeed.

When Seattle Slew is the only iffy line in the pedigree, the mare is definitely worth breeding if she's a good one.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

No, a hundred times NO !!!
    There is nothing close up that has produced sporthorses.

Just my experience but avoid Seattle Slew at all costs.

Grey Dawn is the only line that is almost close enough to make a difference.
    Buckpasser,Hail to reason and Speak John were certainly factors in the past but in today's world they aren't up close enough to make a difference.

I'm with Viney on this one. I really like her pedigree.

Have you tried riding her, jumping her, lunging her over fences? What makes you think that she, as an individual, has the talent to be a sport horse broodmare?

Because the best of famiys only give her a good chance to be a successful broodmare. It doesn't guarantee it.

The mare herself is the best recommendation for her broodmare potential.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

Both Spend A Buck and Buckaroo have daughters who have produced sport horses--FEI level eventers. Buckaroo's is going to the Olympics for Canada. One of the mares with Spend A Buck as damsire is by an A.P. Indy son, so that puts Slew one generation further back than this mare. Horse has won a CCI 1* and was 3rd in a CIC2*. This is its first season doing FEI level competition.

The mare also has a half sister who was a winning steeplechaser.

Not really understanding the "run" from Seattle Slew mentality. I own three horses that are slew grandchildren through Houston. The gelding is one of the only TB hunters showing on the AA circle and winning (top ribbons in first year green confs in Thermal) including top ribbons in model. Both mares are approved MMB with the German Oldenburg and have produced phenomenal hunters for me (all premium foals). My oldest foal from the mares, at two, was just best young horse her first schooling show out and was extremely easy to break on top of showing tremendous talent in the shoot. I don't aim the offspring of these mares towards the jumper ring, but they have produced brilliantly for the hunter ring.

Modified: I meant one of the only TB showing on the west coast, I know they are much more prolific in the east

I just looked up Eastover Court at the USEF. He has 12 get registered. One is a hunter who won something called a HITS Hunter Class and seems to have a child rider, IIRC. Another one won a couple of 1.2 meter jumper classes and is now an event horse with a very decent record who has done Prelim. I did not check the records on all of them.

FWIW HITs hunter is ~ 2'6" ; so, that's not terribly impressive but maybe he is green or has a green rider. Being shown by a kid could be a good indication of temperament...