The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite no bake recipes/dishes?

So my oven is broken/has been for quite some time. It is an older drop in, so replacing is $$$$ (never get one, there are no deals to be had!) and I think I should become an oven repair person... Holy god do they get paid well. And you know the moment they come fix the damn thing, it will break again in some new more expensive way! As all horse people know, domestic items can easily become low priority... I have a wish list a mile long and the oven is on the bottom! That being said, my grilling recipes are getting old, I have no desserts and while my range works... I am running out of ideas!

Please share your favorites, I love to cook but need some inspiration here!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Dessert: Tiramusu or no bake cheesecake :-D
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I cooked for over a year using an electric skillet. You can make just about anything!
    If you like that fake crab (surimi?) make a dressing/sauce with a combo of mayo and Dijon mustard. Serve on a bed of lettuce shredded cabbage,sliced bell peppers, cuKes, anything you like.

get yourself an on the counter pizza oven.

I have one I got at Walmart 4 years ago for around 80 bucks, It bakes everything you need, alas in smaller pans and while it is convection, one pan at a time is best.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...n-Oven/4012129

But you asked for nobake desserts?

My favorite is a four layer delight: put a layer of shortbread cookies in the bottom of the dish (we use the pecan cookies, they are similar to the original recipe) add a layer of 50/50 cream cheese and whipped topping - mixed of course - next is a layer of chocolate pudding, finished off with more whipped topping. Chill and serve.

I also make it in little glad containers, just with one cookie in the bottom. easy to make and carry in a lunch box.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Table top convection oven? I'm thinking about one...my oven heats up the house too much.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Pound cake or angel cake from the grocery. Strawberries sliced with a little sugar and whipped cream.

Google refrigerator desserts. I think you can make a passable fruit crumble or fruit cobbler in the crockpot, although I have never made one.

Cold cream pies or mud pie in a graham cracker crust.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I bake up a bunch of skinless, boneless chicken breasts sprinkled with lemon pepper seasoning. The I freeze them on a cookies sheet and then put them in a big plastic bag.

Today I'm using one, diced, with diced Pink Lady apple, celery, 1/2 small onion to taste(red is nice but not necessary). I dress it with non-fat plain yogurt seasoned with about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sugar/sweetner to taste.

Today I'm also adding 1/2 diced cucumber and serving it over red leaf lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Table top convection oven? I'm thinking about one...my oven heats up the house too much.
    these babies are really neat. Like I said, I have mine for 4 years now, definitely using it more than it was originally intended for. It's awesome! And really, how many times does the average person need the oven big enough to roast a 20 pound turkey!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Event4life, I never knew tiramisu was no bake, I love that stuff! Awesome suggestions everyone, and great idea on the convection oven! Keep 'em coming!

I'm currently making an almost no calorie lentil soup.
    Cabbage
    carrots
    tomato
    onion
    garlic
    portobello mushrooms
    lentils
    green pepper
    basil
    thyme
    curry powder
    salt
    pepper
    lots of water

Almost any amounts of all this will work and you can freeze it in small batches.
    My oven is on the fritz because the clock went out. Go figure.

Another vote for a convection oven. The Hamilton Beach Set n' Forget is a Best Buy from America's Test Kitchen, and it's big enough to do chicken or a 12-inch pizza. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach.../dp/B0039BJ3JG

You could also look at stovetop pressure cookers, which are popular in countries where people don't commonly have household ovens or toaster ovens. They make excellent meat/beef roasts, spare ribs, chicken, custards, cheesecakes, and steam cakes like banana bread or basic chocolate/vanilla cake. But if it's pizza and casseroles that you miss, the tabletop oven is a better bet.

Anything with cool whip for dessert-cool whip,mixed with a package of chocolate instand pudding mix, a little milk, and put in a pie crust. Cool whip and a vanilla pudding mix for a fruit dip,
    strawberry jello and cool whip and fresh strawberries
    graham crackers and cool whip
    dinner-cook up onions in oil, add tomatoes, a bit of salt and diced kale or collards, stew it up...yum!
    egg salad, potato salad, tuna salad
    pasta salad with italian dressing, black olives and feta cheese
    omelets
    dump a bag of frozen veggies into an electric skillet, add soy sauce, some tofu, a little ginger....
    crepes
    fresh fruit (with the cool whip dip!)

I love to bake but when its hot, f**k it.

Cool whip as a pretty good (as in easy and cheap) tiramisu recipe as well!!
    you canfind it on the cool whip recipe page,
    its good!!

Tabletop convection oven.

I have a stove but intentionally do not use it. It runs on propane, I live in a house trailer, and I smoke, so do the math - I do not want propane ANYWHERE near this property.

Between the convection oven, a microwave, and a 2-burner electric cooktop, I get along just fine, and I certainly don't miss CLEANING the dadgum oven!

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/08...naigrette.html

This is so simple (fair bit of chopping, but worth it) and goooooood, oh deary is it good.
    Pick up a rotisserie chicken for a meat dish if you want. It's so good that we my friend and I almost half the bowl before her husband even got home from work!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

and gazpacho! Its hot here so all I can think of is cool stuff!! but nice cool cukes, tomatoes....yummy!!

I'm making dinner in my slow cooker right now, well I really just threw a stuffed chicken in there and I'll check it in a couple of hours. Added benefit is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen like my oven does.

These are really simple little snacks:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/r...ecipeId=347891

My go-to summertime easy fav right now is cut raw sweet corn, drained black beans, a bit of salsa mixed in w/ green onions and lots of cilantro w/ some sour cream, chips and a cold cold beer. Makes a whole meal these hot days. and frozen fruit bars, don't forget those! The mango ones go good with the above!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Oh, duh-. Forgot to say, browse Pinterest for no-bake recipes. That's where I find the most inspiration.... including that recipe I posted before!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)