The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What in dry food causes male cats to

develop blockages? Is it simply lack of fluids? I just read the other thread on behavioral issues with a male cat. I have two female cats (for this very reason).

Is it something in the processing? Is it an ingredient or lack of ingredient? If kept on wet food only, they don't block?

I think a good part is lack of water. not all cats drink enough. I don't have the water problem with my cats, particularly the barn boys - I start filling that horse trough and they are all right in there lapping until they slosh. Even the house cats go through nearly a litre of water between the 4 of them, so I am sure they drink enough, despite one who plays in the dish....
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I read somewhere that early neutering is the problem. I think it's got to do with the urethra staying small. If they are mature when neutered, you rarely have the problem.

"Blocking" can be attributed to different reasons.

1.) Mass, Calculi or sediment in the bladder causing an obstruction between the trigone, urethera and penis. Cat foods high in ash often create sludgy urine.

2.) Conformation of urethera. Unlike females, it does narrow significantly and flex. Sometimes even normal urine sediments will get blocked in this area. This is not due to early neutering, rather just a conformation flaw in the male cat.

3.) Cystitis/UTI - cat is not actually blocked, but painful to urinate.

The idea of feeding wet is to ensure cat is well hydrated so they urinate frequently (ie. so any sediment in urine will be flushed out frequenty). Many cats on wet food are still prone to FLUTD due to some of the reasone mentioned above. Ideally, feeding wet and ensuring lots of fresh water is best for cats that have sludgy urine, as welll as an acid/base buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    "Blocking" can be attributed to different reasons.

1.) Mass, Calculi or sediment in the bladder causing an obstruction between the trigone, urethera and penis. Cat foods high in ash often create sludgy urine.

2.) Conformation of urethera. Unlike females, it does narrow significantly and flex. Sometimes even normal urine sediments will get blocked in this area. This is not due to early neutering, rather just a conformation flaw in the male cat.

3.) Cystitis/UTI - cat is not actually blocked, but painful to urinate.

The idea of feeding wet is to ensure cat is well hydrated so they urinate frequently (ie. so any sediment in urine will be flushed out frequenty). Many cats on wet food are still prone to FLUTD due to some of the reasone mentioned above. Ideally, feeding wet and ensuring lots of fresh water is best for cats that have sludgy urine, as welll as an acid/base buffer.
    thank you! I keep looking at the little boy kitteh(s) at the barn and thinking how much I like them but have been hesitant to even *think* of bringing one home. Guess I'll just stick to the 2 girls I've got now.

one more question....once blocked, always more likely to get blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    one more question....once blocked, always more likely to get blocked?
    That depends. If the blockage is due to consumption of a poor diet (basically the high ash cat foods) and that diet is not remedied then yes they are likely to block again. If due to a narrow urethera again they are likey to block again. If due to low water consumption and water intake is not increased by some means then yes yet again
    Problems tend too come in multiples causes...meaning so many cats block due to a combination of the above. So the lesson is if a kitty blocks once you change the diet and encourage water intake. Or the past repeats.

I had a friend whose cat blocked badly once. She knew he was bad about drinking. Her solution was a little spagetti sauce (Prego Traditional seems the cats preference). He loves it and then will go take a nice little drink. No more blockages since.

In canned foods, you want the lowest possible "ash" content, whatever that is. I don't know about what ingredients in dry food to avoid.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry