The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need advice on finding homes for kittens

I've been fostering feral barn kittens since Memorial Day weekend. I was able to find the PERFECT home for one of them. I am really struggling to find homes for the other four. I've had them spayed/neutered, vaccinated, treated for fleas, etc. They are beautiful and sweet and getting bigger every day. I've plastered them all over Facebook, put up flyers in my feed store, given flyers to my vet, put flyers in neighbors' mailboxes, flyers at work... you name it, I've tried it and am getting zero interest.

ANY suggestions on what else I can do? I am fostering them through our local humane society and one option is to put them up for adoption at a pet supply store where they do rescue adoptions, but I worry that will be traumatic for them, especially for the two who are still a bit wary of people.

It's literally raining cats here in SoFla. (A friend who teaches actually had a litter fall off her school's roof!) I really want to find them good homes. I have four cats of my own and am terrified I'm going to end up with eight cats. We are overrun with barn cats (we have had about 20 of them fixed in the last 8 months) so bringing them there is not a great option.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are some pix. Maybe I'm biased but I think they are pretty darn cute.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=1062efca1a

Thanks!
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

You're not biased...I'd put those in the 'highly adoptable' category by color. You're lucky they aren't tuxedos or black or you WOULD be stuck with them. (sorry Tux and Black owners, I love them! They just hang around in shelters forever through no fault of their own.)

Have you posted on Craigslist? I know there's some creeps there but also good people looking to give animals homes. I wouldn't discourage the store thing, even if you went one afternoon with them in an attempt to 'sell' their personalities.

It is absolutely cat season, but your persistence is admirable. Keep it up! You are doing the right thing by those kittens, for sure.

I feel your pain. I placed 12 feral-born kittens last summer. It was hard. Plus 2 feral mom cats. I have 1 of the feral mom cats- in my house. It was sort of by accident, but now she's a nice cat- at least to me.

One of the kittens was recently returned but I think I've found a great home for her on Sunday.

Put them on the giveaways here, and seriously network through facebook. I did not have to place any through here and I did not put them on craigslist, I just networked the hell out of them on facebook. I posted pics of adorable kittens on local barn's facebook pages (since us horse people are suckers), told everyone I know, sent out a mass email at work, etc.

The kitten I am placing Sunday is going to a woman who adopted 2 last summer's 78 year old mother. So that might be an interesting avenue to pursue- Senior Centers and elderly housing areas?

Good luck. I know it is soooo hard to place them. You seriously need to just badger your friends and everyone you know.

Thanks for the advice and the support. Because they are adoptable through the Humane Society they are technically not giveaways but I will see if the Mods will allow me to post them here and will also try barn websites. I am leery of Craigslist because they are in my home and I worry about people with no connection to me coming into my house (we were burglarized recently and I am paranoid).

I put flyers in neighbors' mailboxes and someone came over today and is very interested. I'm going to print up a bunch more flyer and expand my distribution area to other streets near me. Fingers crossed!

Ruth congrats on getting all those kitties placed! That's incredible. And irkenequine you are right about the colors -- it's sad but true. Two of my cats are black or tuxedo and they are awesome cats. The prejudice against them baffles me.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Quote Originally Posted by 411 View Post
    I am fostering them through our local humane society and one option is to put them up for adoption at a pet supply store where they do rescue adoptions, but I worry that will be traumatic for them, especially for the two who are still a bit wary of people.
    I helped get a store adoption system up and running in my area when I worked for the regional humane society. It was VERY successful. Please don't let your worries about the experience being traumatic for them stop you from using a wonderful adoption resource. Use the store now, while they are still kitten-ish enough to attract interest.

Your concern for their well being shows that you are a great foster mommy! But give them a chance to be in a place where people can see them. A cute picture is one thing (and they are very cute, by the way), but being in person is a whole different ball game.
    Sheilah