The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bikes!

Anyone else love bikes? Either for pleasure, transportation, or sport?

I grew up with a dad who raced bikes for years (even rode in a stage of the Tour de France open to amateurs), but it wasn't until I moved to NYC two years ago that I really began to admire bikes as craft.

We have a single-speed Linus (think French-style city bike) that's my everyday rider and a restored English Raleigh three-speed that my boyfriend rides. Before that, I had a yellow Panasonic that I was going to convert single-speed or fixed-gear, but I think we're going to find an old Motebecane frame to build up instead.

I love the simplicity of the fixed gear and single-speed bikes and the ease of riding them through the city, while my boyfriend is diehard dedicated to his English three-speeds (this is his second Raleigh restoration). Still lusting over my dad's old 1988 Botecchia frame for a conversion, but he won't budge.

Also, I lust after these everyday: http://vanillabicycles.com/ (Alas, the wait list is something like six years!)

So tell me about your bikes.

I sold my bike last year 'cause I wasn't using it, but I miss it every day Nothing super fancy, just a Trek hybrid, but it rode like buttah.

I have a road bike.. Some kind of Trek. I love it, even if it scares me with its fastness sometimes. I use it for racing but considering the speed at which I "race" (hah) its more of a pleasure bike!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I luff my Trek hybrid but it's too damn hot to ride right now! I took it out yesterday after I filled up the tires and did a bit of maintenance and it worked perfectly. Too bad it's hot enough to die out there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

What do you like about the Motebecane frame and the Panasonic frame? I'm curious as to what you are looking for in the frame and why you mention those specifically. I had both in my storage building and think both are still there - but they are the 21 (or so) speed.
    Yeah, I like bicycles - street bicycles, actually, more than mountain bikes. I like the simplicity and efficiency. I like the smoothness and feeling of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    What do you like about the Motebecane frame and the Panasonic frame? I'm curious as to what you are looking for in the frame and why you mention those specifically.
    They are just generally sturdy, well-built frames that are structured well for gear conversions. The drop-outs on the rear wheel have to be at certain angles for certain gear ratios and Panasonic and Motebecane (along with most other road bikes) are suited for that purpose. Typically, I just find them to be aesthetically pleasing too.

I'm glad so many COTHers have/like their bikes. I still admit to sometimes pretending I'm on the back of a horse when I ride mine (and I like to think that years of riding gives me better bike riding skills too).

Here is my "stable":

Specialized Ruby Pro: my main racing bike. Full carbon fiber with Full Dura Ace. Swapped in some carbon cranks a compact double and a Reynolds rear wheel with Powertab hub. For serious climbing I have a set of American Classic Magnesium wheels that I swap in at ~ 1kg for the wheelset. Various other lightweight components including a carbon fiber saddle with Ti rails. Looks like a killer, but it is comfortable because it fits my @$$.

Fuji Aloha 1.0: time trial bike.

Fuji Finest 1.0: Used it for crits or training in bad weather or on bad roads. Currently on loan to one of my brothers who wants to get into riding.

Torelli Corsa Strada: My first road bike. Campy Veloce components. Use it for longer bike tours when I don't want to deal with transporting the Ruby. I don't use it as much now and since it was my first real road bike, I can't sell it.

Mongoose Zero G: My mountain bike. Hardtail. Bought it usedaround 1999 or 2000 and it was a few years old then. Love the bike. You can ride it into the ground and it is still comfortable. Recently stripped the frame and put all new Shimano Deore LX components on it.

Specialized Ruby Pro
    *dies* Nice!

I LOVE to cycle, and have both a road bike and a mountain bike. Unfortunately, I've been at my new job since November and have yet to figure out how to make time for either. I keep saying I'm just going to go out and do it...ugh. It's killing me.

I have a nice little Trek road bike. Nothing special, but it's my road love and has some nice upgrades (I am so not into the specs of bikes, and a friend is routinely the one who upgrades things for me...so don't ask).

I also have a FABULOUS Trek/Gary Fisher 29er mountain bike, again with some nice upgrades, that I love, love, love. Switching to a 29er totally changed my xc riding, and while I loved my Specialized WS Stumpjumper, this thing is AWESOME. It's like the perfect ammie packer Rolls over anything I point it at!

Now if only I can manage my time so I can get a few rides in a week on one or both

@yellowbritches: I bought the Ruby the first year it came out and am so glad I did. The following year Specialized began fiddling with the components so that instead of having three "levels" of Ruby that were fairly evenly spaced, as in low, mid and high tier, differing mostly in components, they went to low, medium-low and then super-high end. It seemed like what Specialized was doing is targeting the racing and ultra distance folks by making the mid tier less attractive and jacking up the price of the high end to get people to pay $1-2k more than what they would have done the previous year.

I got it at dealer cost through a friend who owned a shop otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the time.

I love cycling! I actually spend more time on a bike than a horse these days.

I ride:

Road - Giant TCR, pimped with pink. LOVE this bike.
    MTB - Cannondale Rush 7
    Trainer bike: old "retired" aluminum Cannondale

So glad there are others here who love cycling as well!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Mine is a 1978 Austro Daimler Inter 10 Reynolds 531 mixte frame. I've put upright handlebars on it and handle shifters, and it will outlast me.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh do I love bikes.

I have a Brompton M3L in pink, because I thought there was less chance of some bike-stealing dude sawing through the lock on a girly bike. I still have it, so my theory appears to have worked.

The Brompton is quite a conversation-starter. It's also a very well-engineered bike and fun to ride.

My other city bike is a Pashley Princess Sovereign. A true ladies bike and a beautiful machine.

I would like an Arrow.

(I also have a MTB but it's more functional than cool.)

You are brave riding a bike through the streets of NYC!

Used to ride a bike to school. then stopped - where I lived is way hilly and off-road is not nice so really got into hill walking with the dogs etc.

Moved to a flat area and got a mountain bike for fitness - mountain bike because I ride on a lot of gravel roads. I have a "Giant" - in the ladies version. I have only front suspension as I prefer the feel of the harder rear suspension.

On the weekend, I decided to go really off-road and took the dogs for a run around our main lake through all of the boggy bits and deep sand etc - with lots of barked encouragement I had a ball .... and far sorer legs than i have ever had riding a horse Going to do it again next weekend
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Hills are the best way to get fit!!!

(Of course, I'm thinking that when I ever figure out how to get on my bikes again, the first couple of weeks will be spent on the W & OD, which is a rail to trail system and FLAT ). When I am really bike fit, I am a crazy good climber. But I am soooo not a sprinter.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Oh do I love bikes.

I have a Brompton M3L in pink, because I thought there was less chance of some bike-stealing dude sawing through the lock on a girly bike. I still have it, so my theory appears to have worked.

The Brompton is quite a conversation-starter. It's also a very well-engineered bike and fun to ride.

My other city bike is a Pashley Princess Sovereign. A true ladies bike and a beautiful machine.
    Oh my gosh, love the Pashleys! I want a Guv'nor soooo bad.

The Bromptons are really interesting! I haven't ridden one, but I'm definitely intrigued. How do you like it?

Re: riding through NYC, it's not so bad. If you're aware and ride defensively, as you would in a car, it can really be quite pleasurable. The secret is to just NEVER assume that someone sees you and make eye contact as frequently as possible!

Today we rode from our apartment in lower Manhattan to Rockaway Beach in Queens about 20 miles away. So much fun, despite the heat!

I drove through Williamsburg the other day, and was tempted to mow down many cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I would like an Arrow.
    Love them, too. Sadly don't know how to get one here, but if you're heading to Tokyo anytime soon...

Ooh, I have been riding my bikes a lot lately as my horse is retired. I have an older Motobecane that I love. It has a wicker basket and is my cruiser. I bought it from a friend for super cheap over a decade ago. I rode it through most of my pregnancy with the big spring seat. I love this bike.

I have a K2 mod 4 road bike that I really like. I added clip on aero bars this year for a triathlon I did.

I just got a brand new mountain bike and have been having a blast hitting the trails. I just got back from a week long vacation with it. It's a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er. It's my first time with full suspension and disc brakes. It is the bomb.

My decade old trek mountain bike is now the official Burley trailer puller. The Motobecane is also good for this ESP since it is my only bike with a kickstand.

I love my bikes!

DD is 2.5 and already has 2 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Love them, too. Sadly don't know how to get one here, but if you're heading to Tokyo anytime soon...
    I go 3 or so times/year. Been twice in 2012. Will probably go in Sept/Oct when weather is bearable (Tokyo summers are wicked).

Bromptons ride very nicely. This is the only folding bike that anyone actually folds because it really is that simple.

One of these years, I'm going to ride in the Brompton World Championships. Video here.

Which reminds me, I saw an Alex Moulton on the road today. I've always wanted one but those bikes are so expensive.