The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black hunter bridles that won't break the bank?

So.... I have tenative plans to show my gelding next month- just an open show against mostly stock types....

And I don't have a bridle to go with my new saddle. I have a few brown bridles.... and I had intended to buy a brown saddle... but the one that fit him and the budget happened to be black.

Don't want to go with a dressage bridle- he's got a really pretty head (Saddlebred) and the super padded stuff just overwhelms his face in a major way... Has anybody in their online wanderings found a black plain snaffle bridle- kind of fine, can have padding if it's not HUGE but no flash nosebands... ....for under $150

Someone keeps posting on eBay black fancy stitched KL Select bridles that were an "oops" production. KL Select bridles are very pretty and aside from being black it otherwise looks 100% like a hunter bridle. Check eBay!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idproduct=559

Bobby's plain raised, no flash, but if you can get the KL Select, go for it. Vespucci also makes one, but it's spendy.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Oh haha, I didn't realize. It's RockHorseRanch who has 'em on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KL-Selec...item3cc86de7a9

She's a terrific seller
    ~Veronica

Black HUNTER bridle?! :O

I would never have settled on a BLACK saddle for hunters. even if it did fit my horse and I. Seriously, there are so many brown saddles out there.... jeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Oh haha, I didn't realize. It's RockHorseRanch who has 'em on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KL-Selec...item3cc86de7a9

She's a terrific seller
    If you need that same bridle in Cob size, new, let me know.

At an "open show" against mostly "stock types," at least in my neck of the woods black bridles are the least transgressive "hunter" thing you're going to see. It show bows, sleeveless shirts, plastic helmets, and peanut rolling, baby! I wouldn't have picked a black saddle either but if the OP is just dabbling at low level/4H type shows on her saddlebred... I think she'll be ok.
    ~Veronica

You will mostly be covering your saddle when you sit in it. I assume it is probably some tyoe of synthetic saddle. Make sure you have a nice fleece pad that fits your saddle perfectly and use one of your brown bridles. I would not spend money buying a black bridle to match a synthetic saddle.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=black+saddle

There are plenty of people showing in black tack, and they aren't synthetic saddles, either.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Yes, I have a black CWD that I love. Although I don't show in hunters often, it doesn't bother me a bit. Judges could care less. And I do compete in A rated shows when I do show.

I too would suggest the Bobby's plain raised bridle. The leather is very nice for the price.

I would not concern yourself about tack colour. I have never heard a judge comment that they placed a class based on the colour of the leather tack. So long as it is a conservative colour.

Yeah- I won't be showing serious H/J classes. Its actually a nice quality leather saddle (County Drespri) and it fit me (needing an 18" seat with a reasonably forward flap), my horse (curvy backed AND extra wide...) and my budget while I wait to sell the saddle he developed out of.
    I would really have preferred brown, but would have had to wait quite a while to save up and actually FIND something that would work for us. This got me into a nice quality saddle without delay so I could actually USE my horse instead of just looking at him and feeding him cookies...
    My show plans with this horse are to hit an open show to see how he'll do at a show after several years off, and then show ASB hunter pleasure. I would have really preferred brown, but I won't get totally crucified for it by the judges generally as long as it looks more like a hunter bridle than a dressage bridle.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Wouldn't have found a lot of these options without assistance!

Save your money! Black is not a color used in hunters. If you have a black saddle, fine. But your bridle does not have to match your saddle. It is silly to get 2 pieces of unconventional tack when you already own the proper color bridle.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Save your money! Black is not a color used in hunters. If you have a black saddle, fine. But your bridle does not have to match your saddle. It is silly to get 2 pieces of unconventional tack when you already own the proper color bridle.
    If you read the OP is doing an open show and then looking to do ASB Hunter Pleasure- where black tack is totally normal and acceptable.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

eBay is probably your best bet. I have a couple of Bobby's bridles and I often get compliments on them, and I have seen them in black. I've also spotted Courbette bridles in black on eBay.

Ignore all the posts about how you shouldn't have black tack for hunters. You didn't ask that question, but I knew that would make up many of the responses

I know you said "no dressage bridles," but the first thing that came to mind was the bridle I bought to match my dressage saddle. We're talking super-economical, but super-functional- the Plymouth dressage bridle from SmartPak. I needed a second bridle (two horses, y'see), and needed something inexpensive, black, and not huge. My OTTB hates a lot of stuff on his face, and this is pretty low-profile. I have a D-ring french link snaffle in it right now.

That Bobby's bridle is pretty though!

Default I know someone selling their new KL Select black hunter bridle

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Someone keeps posting on eBay black fancy stitched KL Select bridles that were an "oops" production. KL Select bridles are very pretty and aside from being black it otherwise looks 100% like a hunter bridle. Check eBay!
    THIS!!!!! ^^^

And I know someone who needs to sell the one she bought from ebay. It would be suitable for what you want for your Saddlebred.

I'm guessing you want black because you have a black saddle?

EDIT: I just read the whole thread and see you have a black County Despri saddle. Makes sense that you can get away with black tack on the ASB circuit Looks especially good on a black and white pinto!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by blairasb View Post
    Yeah- I won't be showing serious H/J classes. Its actually a nice quality leather saddle (County Drespri) and it fit me (needing an 18" seat with a reasonably forward flap), my horse (curvy backed AND extra wide...) and my budget while I wait to sell the saddle he developed out of.
    I would really have preferred brown, but would have had to wait quite a while to save up and actually FIND something that would work for us. This got me into a nice quality saddle without delay so I could actually USE my horse instead of just looking at him and feeding him cookies...
    My show plans with this horse are to hit an open show to see how he'll do at a show after several years off, and then show ASB hunter pleasure. I would have really preferred brown, but I won't get totally crucified for it by the judges generally as long as it looks more like a hunter bridle than a dressage bridle.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Wouldn't have found a lot of these options without assistance!
    And I still say don't bother spending your money and use one of the brown bridles you already own. Oil it up and make it dark. You will be sitting on most of the saddle, the bridle is on the horse's head. Unless you point it out I don't think anyone will ever notice.