The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How would you deal with this?

I have been away from my home for 10 days at a horse show. I came back late last night and was looking through my mail...I found a handwritten note from a feed sales manager in the pile and quickly called the woman who does all of the chores while I am gone. She said she found the note in the barn when she came back to do evening chores (she feeds lunch at noon and comes back at four)...

It's a handwritten note, with my name at the top, saying:

" Stopped in next door and saw your place. I see you are feeding Sentinel Sr so I left you some coupons. We have a product that can replace your Triple Crown Senior so that you can feed only Blue Seal products. Please call me if you have any questions. Your horses look great and we would love to supply all of your feed."

This is fine...HOWEVER...My farm in PRIVATE. Nobody was there and the ONLY way she could know what I was feeding was to snoop through my feed room, to which the door is always closed. She left me her card. I do not know her. I find it intrusive and inappropriate for her to invite herself into my barn and snoop through my feed room. Am I overreacting? I am considering calling her. Should I just let it go? We have a gated entrance, which was open at the time, but we also have private signs everywhere. What would you do?

No empty bags visible in trash? No feed delivery that day? Definitely no other way to find out what you feed?

Unless she definitely opened a door to snoop in the feedroom I would not find it more intrusive than any other door to door sales and would ignore it but remember to never buy from them.

Yeah, that would bug me. A lot.

I also have a private farm and the thought of someone strolling onto it and examining my property would feel like they simply walked into my home. And opened my closets.

I guess as a sales rep, if you deal with big boarding barns it might not seem so intrusive.

Not sure if I would pitch a fit or simply pitch the note.

I would probably not even give it a second thought especially if your gate was open. However on the other hand if it really bothers you call the person. Ask them how they know what you feed. Or just let the person know your barn is private and visitors are not allowed.

I think I'd call her up and ask her about it.

Yeah, maybe she saw some bags in the garbage or something (is that even a possibility?)

But then again, she may very well have rummaged through your feed room (and who knows what else finding the right room?)

If the latter is the case, I'd be inclined to let her know how inappropriate that is. Even at a big barn (never mind a small, private one) it's inappropriate. At the big stable I work at I've got explicit instructions to (jokingly of course) "shoot anyone caught in the feed rooms that doesn't belong there". We get solicitations from feed suppliers about once a month, never have any of them been so brazen as to enter our feed rooms without permission.

I would be furious. Sorry, but my place is private and she was trespassing. Call her, tell her in no uncertain terms to stay the heck off your property. Then I'd write a very firm letter to the district manager/supervisor of her company and let them know you find that unacceptable. A real paper letter, not just an email. That should get someone's attention.

Default Kind of standard sales....

If I received that note, I'd just think she was a salesperson who had gotten my feedlist from my feed store/past buying history, and was just making the rounds of her territory leaving a similar note at every barn. If the gate was open, she would have had no way of knowing that you weren't there, and in the sales world, would have felt it was okay to come in and when finding the barn empty, leave a note.

I get notes in my mailbox, often very sweet, saying things like, "I see how hard you work, and how much time you spend playing with your kids and taking care of the house and yard. Let me help you treat yourself to skincare product xyz to pamper yourself...." etc. It is tempting to say, "Oh, she 'gets' me!" and call her up and be BFFs with her. But these lovely notes are from a woman I don't know, who drives around town and does a reverse address search to get your name, and then puts the note in every house that has a swingset/toys/minivan visible. :-) She's just covering all the bases and hoping she gets a couple hits. I don't mind. She's trying to earn a living and not causing me or mine any harm.

But I also like TC Senior, and don't think I'd switch. :-)

I would go visit the local police station WITH her note, asking if anything can be done about this. Is it illegal, what she did? What steps can you do for better security beyond posting No Trespassing signs for those "walk-in folks". I would also call the Feed Company she represents, and report her for bad business practices. Her note COULD have been left on your door, not ever needing to enter the barn. Knowing your brand of feed because she checked the feed room is scary.

She went WAY beyond the line, and I would be very angry she had invaded my space. Checking your feed room is total invasion of private property and you are LUCKY she wasn't the local thieves cleaning out your tack room! Might be a "wake-up call to YOU" and how things are kept at your place. Certainly you need some investment to upgrade your security! Even if you only lock stuff up when you are gone, that is more than what this lady found.

At least you need a gate that has to be opened or climbed over, to enter the perimeter of the barn. Gate can be locked. Yeah, adds to YOUR handling things to go out there. Gate could be helpful if a horse got loose from the barn or paddocks, by keeping horse contained near the barn instead of free to leave by way of the open driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    If I received that note, I'd just think she was a salesperson who had gotten my feedlist from my feed store/past buying history, and was just making the rounds of her territory leaving a similar note at every barn. If the gate was open, she would have had no way of knowing that you weren't there, and in the sales world, would have felt it was okay to come in and when finding the barn empty, leave a note.

I get notes in my mailbox, often very sweet, saying things like, "I see how hard you work, and how much time you spend playing with your kids and taking care of the house and yard. Let me help you treat yourself to skincare product xyz to pamper yourself...." etc. It is tempting to say, "Oh, she 'gets' me!" and call her up and be BFFs with her. But these lovely notes are from a woman I don't know, who drives around town and does a reverse address search to get your name, and then puts the note in every house that has a swingset/toys/minivan visible. :-) She's just covering all the bases and hoping she gets a couple hits. I don't mind. She's trying to earn a living and not causing me or mine any harm.

But I also like TC Senior, and don't think I'd switch. :-)
    So the gate to the property was CLOSED. She would have to leave her car, slip through the fence, walk down to the barn and then open the feed room door. Thank goodness I lock the tackroom! To see the trash she would have to open the door to the feed room...And I don't deal with sales reps - I buy my feed from a local feed store and they don't have my address. A note in the mailbox wouldn't both me at all...This...I'm bothered. I realize she's trying to make a living and I really like her products. However, this seemed more like trespassing than anything else. I think she got my name off of my meticulously labeled grooming shelf...So, it looks like some people are really bothered, others less so.

You should be bothered. You have been violated. Saddleup hit the nail on the head.

Report the incident to the police/sheriff and to the feed manufacturer.

You'll be doing the manufacturer a favor because of the ill will this intrusive person will generate.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'd be bothered...really bothered actually. It's one thing to ring the bell on my front door. It's another to open the gate to the barn and check out my feed room.

Start with complaining to the feed store.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Ok. I'm going to call the woman first and see what she says...Thanks for your input!

Sorry, you should NOT get involved with her by personal contact. She will tell you something, true or not is your own guess.

You don't want to "deal with it" in this situation.

That would include contacting the police, making a report. Contacting her home feed company to PROTEST LOUDLY her intrusion into your farm, OVER the locked gate!! However if you can't be bothered, that is your CHOICE. Even "doing nothing" is a choice you make. You have had your "wake up visit" and don't really plan to do anything about it. So any further issues that develop are on your own head, because you made a CHOICE to do little or nothing about her. She may be harmless, or not. Time will tell.

I have a strong feeling you will come to regret this choice later, but it will be one of those "too little, too late" situations. I sure hope to be proven wrong.

How do you know your next-door-neighbor did not say - go over to sue's farm, I am sure she would be interested in hearing about your grain?
    I have a big barn, so this kind of thing happens all the time.
    I also have been guilty of sending salesmen across the street to another barn if I think it is something they can use.

I would not like it, but would ask a few qustions before squashing the fly with a mallet.

Apologies, OP; I had understood the original post as the gate was open.

If the gate was closed and she still came in, that would have been trespassing. It was just if the gate was open, I could see her pulling in with the perfectly well-meaning hope of speaking with someone who was around. I thought her note was pretty nice, actually. She just offered to be of help, told you your horses looked great, left you some coupons, and went on her way. I'd be fine with that, myself! :-) I might even welcome such a visit, if the sales pitch was low-key and she did't take up too much time. But, to each their own!

I wouldn't be too happy about it. I won't walk into a PUBLIC stable if I don't see someone in the barn, and certainly not a private barn. If the gate were open, I could understand someone driving down the driveway and hollering into the barn to see if anyone was there. If not, then the courteous thing to do would be to leave and come back at another time, or leave a note on a doorway OUTSIDE the barn proper. I'd probably call the feed store and ask what the deal is- opening a feed room door (snooping!) is totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    Ok. I'm going to call the woman first and see what she says...Thanks for your input!
    That's the reasonable thing to do.

*Ask* how she learned what you feed.

If you feel she was snooping, let her know that that was unwelcome.

If she doesn't immediately apologize, then you can go "up the chain of command".... all the way to the cops I suppose. But I wouldn't start there. She's trying to make a living and if she blew it this once but will stop in the future, you did your part.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I would not like it, but would ask a few qustions before squashing the fly with a mallet.
    ^
    This

Yikes - a lot of paranoia on this topic.

I too would not be happy if someone visited my farm in my absence, but before going all postal/filing police reports,etc., I'd call this rep and ask how she determined what I was feeding.

Depending on her answer, I'd then politely inform her I was not happy with her method (WHATEVER IT WAS!)and would be writing to her Regional Manager to advise them.
    Maybe she thinks this "Folksy" approach will work. Maybe it has for her in the past.
    Now she will know it was not the correct approach for this customer and possibly not a great idea overall.

At Hoosier Horse Fair in Indy this April I had a feed rep as much as tell me my horses would be a lot healthier if I switched to her product.
    Um, NTYVM, I came for the advertised free hay analysis. Period.
    Even though I just needed to walk away, I found it irritating to be preached to by someone wet behind the ears who had not seen my horses and obviously just wanted to sell product.
    BTW: my hay tested just fine.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015