The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not crazy MIL's

Anyone else out there have a perfectly lovely MIL?

Mine was warm and friendly, despite the fact that I met her son in a somewhat unconventional way (online, and not on a dating site). I didn't meet her until after the engagement. She happily welcomed me into her home when I can to visit and threw us a lovely engagement party. She supported our choice to have a small destination wedding instead of the 300 person church wedding her daughter had. She's a devout Catholic but was fine with our non-denominational ceremony.

She thinks my job is wonderful, despite the fact that it moved her son half way across the world. She is a little dissapointed about the no kids thing, but I kinda figure that is to be expected.

Of course, the fact that she speaks mediocre English and I don't speak any Vietnamese doesn't hurt.

Yes, and I miss her! She died a couple of years ago, but I hadn't seen her since my divorce. She was wonderful.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Yep, I love my MIL. I've flown out to Wisconsin to see her a number of times when I had time off, but my husband couldn't go for one reason or another. Both of my MILs have been great, in fact . That's one of my criteria for a husband, MUST like his mother.

I had a wonderful MIL. She just passed away in February, and I miss her everyday. I would willingly put up with my FIL if she was there. More than once she told me I was like a Daughter to her.

I gained a son in law two years ago, and whenever I think about my actions toward him, I try to channel my MIL. She was always kind to me, and I'd like to be the same. Kind of WWMILD?
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I also have a fabulous MIL. She is 78 and going strong. Her parents lived well into their 90's and I hope she will be around that long, too.

She is a non-horse person but appreciates my horse passion and the fact that her son loves the farm. I named one of my foals after her and that particularly pleased her.

She has been widowed for a while but got engaged last year to an older man. They go on lots of cruises and have fun. I am so happy for her finding this joy. She deserves all the good things that come her way.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Mine is really great -- a kind, thoughtful, caring person. A great grandma and a good friend.

Mine is great! We lost my FIL in February, but he was equally wonderful.

My MIL is the sweetest lady!! We have our differences (she is VERY conservative, demure, soft-spoken, never says no. I am... the opposite.) but she sees me as her daughter and is a lovely, lovely person. She is not an animal person at all but appreciates my passion and asks all sorts of questions about horses and dogs, trying to learn from me. She's a great MIL.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I adore my MIL! Not to mention, she raised a great son. We should all be so fortunate.

I, too, had a lovely MIL. She has unfortunately passed away. She was always kind, sweet and thoughtful. I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Mine is pretty great too. While we may not see eye to eye on everything, she is truly a good and caring woman, and raised a hell of a son! The first time I met them, I had just come from the barn to pick up my boyfriend, and I was FILTHY to say the least, they invited me inside and have been pretty wonderful to me and my hubby!

My MIL is currently 82 and still going strong. She was born in Staten Island, moved to California with her parents at 19, met her husband and spent 50 years in Utah. She always wanted to come back to the East Coast, so at 76 and widowed for 5 years, she and her son (my DH) packed up and moved to VA. This obviously worked out very well for me.

She is kind, generous to a fault, supportive, and almost always sees the glass as half full. She never pressured us about grandkids, but was about to pop with pride when our son was born. She lives in her own house, takes care of her own animals, goes to Mah-Jong every Monday, and plays cards on Friday.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

My husband has, hands down, one of the best MIL's in the universe. He is one of the first to admit it, too. : )
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

My MIL is wonderful. She will turn 90 next week, and her 4 children and their spouses, most of her grandchildren, and some great-grandchildren will travel from far and wide to help her celebrate. She lives independently and still drives. She's very broad minded and kind. I loff her!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I adore my MIL! Not to mention, she raised a great son. We should all be so fortunate.
    I give thanks every day that my MIL raised such a wonderful man. We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.
    Both my MIL and FIL are my second parents, actually better than my own parents. I won the in-law lottery
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

As a junior in high school my mother passed away from cancer, so my early twenties were mostly filled with me struggling to find my way without a mother's guidance.

When I met my DH and his family, my future MIL took me in like a lost puppy. She threw me a bridal shower, helped plan our wedding, and was always available to babysit when my daughter was born. She showed me how to be a good wife, friend, and mother.

I could not have asked for a better, more loving MIL. She turned 80 this year and sadly passed away from cancer also. At least this time I had the wisdom to thank her for everything she had done for me, and tell her how much having her in my life meant to me.

I got lucky, even though I lost my real mother, I had someone who I could call mom in every sense of the word.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

My husband's aunt is the best MIL to her son's daughter that there is in the world.

She has thoroughly enjoyed her grandchildren since they were born. Good for her that she did because she is bedridden with fast developing Parkinson's now.

I really appreciate my mother in law. I was in three really serious relationships before this one and the mother in law aspect of that was just absolutely horrid.... funny how their sons didn't work out so well either.
    My mother-in-law has her quirks and her neuroses but at the end of the day she genuinely cares about the people that are around her, and it's totally nonjudgmental.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My relationship with MIL has always been easier than with my own mother. My husband and I both have hot tempers. For some reason he was always able to handle my mother without exploding, and I was always able to handle his. Deal with our own flesh and blood? Not so much.

I also won the MIL lottery. After we moved to our current place where I could have horses at home, she bought one of her own and we ride together at least one day a week. If she weren't 40 mins away and her own mother was more mobile, she'd probably be here more. We go hiking and do other things together. I have more in common with her than with my own mom. We don't always see eye to eye on everything but we're both mature adults and can talk things out and appreciate each other's opinions.